The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Advice with heating for newbie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dixon Posted - 18/05/2012 : 13:27:11
Hi,
I am new to royals and have mine currently housed in a RUB with heat mat under the rub with thermostat inside and everything is fine so far.

I like to plan ahead and know I have lots of time before I move her in to a viv but have some questions about heating that I hope someone can help with.

Option 1. I appreciate heat mats with royals are not a good idea inside a wooden viv because of the risk of the snake getting burnt, even it a stat is used. An alternative to this could possibly be to make a thin wooden frame with thick Perspex on the top and bottom, like a double glazed window. It would then be possible to attach the heat mat to the bottom piece of Perspex and the snake could happily lie on the top piece without any fear of compressing the heat mat due to the space between the two sheets.

Some people seem to prefer mat as they say the bottom heat helps with digestion so the above would seem a reasonable idea.

Option 2 would be to go for a heat lamp, ceramic lamp or an AHS heating unit. My concern is that if the stat is on the floor of the viv the cage surrounding the lamp must be several degrees hotter so is there still not a risk of the snake getting burnt?

If the consensus is to use a heat lamp of some sort what do members here prefer; heat lamp, ceramic lamp AHS unit, and what size would be recommended in a three foot viv.

I must stress that my place can get pretty cold in winter so I made need heat at both ends of the viv and if that is the case would a combination of options 1 and 2 be a good idea with the heat mat at the cool end.

Sorry to be long winded but I just want a happy and safe snake and can I take the opportunity to thank anyone who replies in advance.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fezza Posted - 18/05/2012 : 13:54:48
Ceramic bulb all the way!

Not a fan of mats in vivs, I don't think it'll generate enough heat in a 3ft viv. My bigger vivs are on the ground floor of our house, right next to the garage and it gets COLD down there in the winter. I have a 150w ceramic in a 3ft and it holds temps just fine, the 5ftx3x2 has an AHS in and doesn't run anywhere near flat out but still holds perfect

With a 150-200w ceramic I'd bet that you'd get the temps you're after with a bit of adjustment either way

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000