The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Size question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jayde Posted - 19/05/2012 : 15:59:56
So I'm sorting out the bigger vivariums for my bunch, and when I've been phoning around for quotes, I keep being quoted for a 3x18x18 as the size for an adult royal. Now I know on here it's recommended 3x2x2 which seems to be the general consensus when looking into appropriate sizes.

The viv heques was in until a few weeks ago (he's temporarily in a 33L rub) was a 2x18x18 which is what came with as my starter setup. And the only thing I can say I've noticed is that once I've got the hot end hide and one end of one of his branches in there is that, there's little room left width wise, plus he's also a lot bigger now so obviously fills the space out more!

Would 3x18x18 be sufficient enough? Or do those extra few inches really make the difference? Will having the extra length accommodate for the fact that the depth isn't as large?
Personal opinions if you have 18 & how you find it, and same for those with the standard 2.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 19/05/2012 : 17:24:10
I have my two royal girls in two of these -

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/compact-vivariums--1310/vivexotic-36in-compact-vivarium-ellmau-beech-138751.html

which are 3' but I think something like 16"x15" - and they're fine. Adult royals aren't climbers (well, not in my experience anyway) and tbh, they don't do an awful lot. Bless them lol! But I certainly wouldn't keep them in anything smaller.

Shahi seemed restless in his lx36 so moved him to a bigger viv ...where he does nothing, bless him. Shiva came with his own 4' viv, which is HIS, so don't want to disrupt him, but again, he does very little to utilise the space.

Sharif is just a tiddler in a 2' viv for now.

I think as royals get older they're not so active, but if they are, they come out for armchair walkies so they get a change of scene - if they want it. When fasting they seem to close down entirely; I believe I'm not the only keeper to go in there every so often to check that they're not dead ...crafty little gits, laughing at me.

If I had the space and the money I'd like to give them all a 4' viv each, but probably this is just sentimentality on my part. The ones in 3' vivs, of whatever dimensions, seem to be fine.
chrisc Posted - 19/05/2012 : 17:21:00
3x18x18 would be ok but i would go for the 3x2x2.
i have my big male in a 3x18x2 got 1 hide a water bowl an a big log that he uses as another hide an thats most of the floor taken up

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000