The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Virgin feeder and other stories!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Meadow Posted - 19/05/2012 : 22:05:09
Just thought I'd post an update as to how Penelope's first feed went.

Well, she should have been hungry since the reptile shop (L 'n' D Exotics, Mansfield << super people) said they feed their reptiles every Tuesday. I got Penelope on the Saturday, broke ALL the rules and handled her briefly every day since then but in my defence she's just SO amazingly gorgeous and has such a super sweet temperament that the children and I just couldn't resist. I've seen her wandering around her viv at night, which is lovely to see, and she's evidently wandering around during the day, too, as she's always in a different position - sometimes in one of her three hides or quite often hiding behind a hide, which is thickly covered in foliage, both at the warm and the cool end.

Anyway, I left her food-wise for a week after we got her, and tonight fed her her first mouse. Defrosted in its bag all day and I actually forgot to heat it up but no worries, Penelope loved it all the same

I've got a 9l RUB to feed her in, so she doesn't associate her viv with food (as other people have told me this reduces the risk of a snake striking when hands go in the viv). I put her in the rub, picked up the defrosted mouse with the long tweezers and PROMPTLY DROPPED THE MOUSE ON PENELOPE'S HEAD

Anyway, no harm done (phew!), and after a few more wiggles of a 'firmly held' mouse', and me starting to think that feeling people must get when a royal refuses to feed, she suddenly struck Very happy mummy!! The children thought it was the coolest thing EVER!

I filmed it and there's lots of chuckling on the film as my 5 year old son was crunching on a lolly at the time and it sounded like Penelope was crunching her food; a point which my son mentioned on film Unfortunately no pics as the camera battery ran out but I'll try to upload the film somewhere at some point soon.

I'm super happy with Penelope, such a sweetheart, and now she's fed as well << very happy snakemummy

We'll leave her alone for a couple of days now (honest we will!) to digest her food
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 20/05/2012 : 10:13:13
quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

congrats on the feed. i still think its the coolest thing when they strike feed and im 30 lol, it never gets old

Lol - same here and I'm 60 next birthday!

Bless her! Good girl for feeding.

You know I went and did the same thing with one of my corns. She's been a chancy feeder in the past but she's taken a liking to black mice - last time she struck and coiled and then wandered off and forgot the mouse. So I reoffered it - and it slipped out of the tongs and fell on her. She whipped round, grabbed, coiled - and ate it.

Snakes never cease to amaze me.
hodgie Posted - 20/05/2012 : 10:07:36
quote:
Originally posted by Meadow

[maroon]

I've got a 9l RUB to feed her in, so she doesn't associate her viv with food (as other people have told me this reduces the risk of a snake striking when hands go in the viv).

congrats, personally i believe this to be untrue, people tend to use feeding tubs because they want to watch or they believe their snake may eat some aspen. I have quite a few royals and they will eat when they want, if you have a nice set of feeding tongs then you wont get bitten and you wont stress out your Royal by moving it with a full tummy.( they can reguritate which puts tremendous stress on them ) However its your Royal and you have a large learning curve ahead of you, You`ll have lots of fun, they are very addictive and it probably wont be long before you have another.
blackskull Posted - 20/05/2012 : 08:30:02
congrats on the feed. i still think its the coolest thing when they strike feed and im 30 lol, it never gets old
chrisc Posted - 19/05/2012 : 22:17:31
glad she fed for you

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000