The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New member wondering where to keep my viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:05:25
Hi, first post here. Wanted a royal for years and years now and I bought my first yesterday. He/she is roughly 4 weeks old and taken all 3 feeds so far. I picked all the kit up but don't let the snake until tomorrow or Tuesday.

Anyway, I have a 3'x15"x15" viv (he'll be in a smaller box inside the viv for a while) and in wondering where's best to put it. I have a great place in my lounge but it will recieve afternoon sun in the summer. Is this a bad place to put the viv or will he be fine as long as I keep my eye on the temps? Or could I cover the viv in a white sheet to keep it cool when the suns out?

Or should I decide on somewhere else completely lol.

I'll get some pics up when I pick him up :) can't wait :D

Thanks in advance, Carl
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 21:55:10
Ordered one already, got it from britishpetshop.co.uk which seemed to be the cheapest after a quick google. Just under £19 delivered.

What sort of moisture content should I be aiming for? The proovers at work (I'm a baker) have about 90% humidity and 32 degrees haha! Horrible in them.
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 21:40:39
I'll get one of those Ordered for sure! Thanks!

Riptiledanny, I was told the best thing to do would be to leave half of the rub in the lights beam and half not so roughly in the middle of the viv? Seem like a good idea? I'd prefer not to have to go down the heat mat route but if it's whats needed... The viv is heated by a 100w green bulb. Seems to of bought it from 18 to 32 in just over an hour so seems adequate at the moment, will see how it copes in cooler weather too though.

Got all my temperatures nice now with 2 thermometers. Ones just temporary and to check the one I bought was reading accurately which it is. 32 in the hot end and the stats holding it there perfect and 24 ish in the cold end. They sound okay?

Thanks everyone for all your help! Lots of information on here and it seems to be full of friendly, knowledgeable people!
carlb1981 Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:53:41
There were other sites too that might have them in stock
carlb1981 Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:52:43
Lol I got mine from the shop I bought snake and paid £24 for it just googled it to show what I had and couldn't believe how much cheaper they were lol there fab you can set alarms for min max temps too and I haven't a clue how it knows the weather outside.
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:37:56
Wow those are awesome, I'm ordering some of them when they are back in stock, Awwww I need 6 of them.
carlb1981 Posted - 20/05/2012 : 18:07:00
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/komodo-combined-digital-thermometer-and-hygrometer.html

ive got one of these dual thermometers there great i have the in probe directly under the ir bulb along with thermostat probe and the stat seems to be set pretty close to what the thermometer is reading, the out probe is at the cool end and the humidity probe is central ive had my viv up and running for a few days now to stabalize the temps before putting my snake in, they are between 32-33c hot end and 22c cool end humidity is about 54%.
my snake is in a rub at the minute though as im waiting on a longer heat guard coming for it. my viv is 36"x18.5"x21" just to give you an idea of the temps youll probably get
reptiledanny Posted - 20/05/2012 : 17:57:15
Digital all the way. They are the most reliable.
Do you mind me asking how your heating the rub it's in. Am I right that your putting the tub inside the viv and then heating with a bulb??
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 16:42:48
All ready now just got it getting up to temperature. I need to pick up another thermometer with the snake. At the moment it's an analogue one and I was gonna go with another for the other end. Worth paying the extra for digital or are the others accurate enough?
Kelfezond Posted - 20/05/2012 : 13:58:31
As long as the probe is in the hot end and has direct view of the heat lamp should be okay
The dials are useless I set mine to 31 it gets upto 43 so you'll need a digital thermometer to know the real temperature
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:41:14
My vivariums are split between 2 rooms, one gets morning sun the other the afternoon sun, they have never overheated or even gained more than a degree or two ambient temp but that moves up and down with the external heat anyway. Midday sun is the bit that carries all the heat, I wouldn't leave it exposed to that but anything else should be fine but the best way to know is test it out.
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:38:28
Yeah I've got a habistat dimming thermostat, just setting it all up ATM. Where about is the best place for the temperature probe for the thermostat? Near the light or the middle of the viv? And leave it set on 32?
Kelfezond Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:30:26
Make sure you remember a thermostat too B-)
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:23:55
The rooms lighting is pretty stable, on the back of the house so curtains are never closed and once a lights turned on its left on till we go to bed generally. There's a tv about 15 foot from where the viv will be. At the moment there is a speaker on the same unit but that won't be used until its on a bracket at the top of the room, even then it's still very rarely used. I currently only have 1 thermometer but I'll pick another up when I get the snake so I can have one each end.

Thanks for your help guys!
Kelfezond Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:18:46
Aye as Danny says vibrations can be bothersome I dont normally mind them in the same room but avoid direct contact like putting a speaker or tv on top of the viv or on the same unit
Glad you like it here!
Good catch Danny!
reptiledanny Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:15:12
Would bother about worrying about being in open view of windows etc as like kelp says our temps are never going to raise the temperatures above what they should be and as it gets hotter the thermostat will just cut the heat source slightly.
The only thing you want to consider is that the area the viv is in isn't going to receive a huge amount of bother.like constant light being turned on and off, and isnt going to receive constant vibrations from say music being played to loud (saying that mine are all in my room and I'm 17 so kinda contradict myself there )
The best bet is to try the viv where you want it, and if he seems uncomfortable and is never out, then you can try moving it to see if that's why. And welcome to the royal world
For maximum temps I would say the max I would be happy with my temps going to is 34 but that would only be for maybe an hour at max. I have my temps at 31-33 and if it goes much over 33.5 then I watch the temps to make sure they go back down
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:11:33
Thankyou :) I like this forum already, only been reading round a few days. Although that equates to quite a few hours already haha!
Carl Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:10:32
Thanks for a very fast reply! Ahh okay I'll pop him there then with enough stuff to hide behind should he want to.

Any idea what a maximum temperature is incase we have a very rare red hot day?
Kelfezond Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:08:56
Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum!
Kelfezond Posted - 20/05/2012 : 12:08:13
That'll be fine More external heat the better you'll never overheat him with our lousy British sun lol

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000