The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Not coming out of winter 'fast'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cordelia Posted - 22/05/2012 : 22:23:45
I have had one of my two Royals for 12 years or so now, and she has grown to be a stunning specimen, but one who always stops feeding over the winter months, from about end of November 'til some time in early April. She then feeds happily all through the spring, summer and autumn, before stopping again over the winter (I always try her with a feed every couple of weeks over the winter, just in case).

It's never concerned me before, as she follows a very predictable pattern. However, this year she has not yet started feeding again, and we are now getting towards the end of May, which is very unusual as she is a month and a half 'late', so to speak. Nothing has changed environmentally in her housing set-up or its position, and she is bright and active at night.

I have tried her with mice, rats, chicks once every week/10 days or so since about the beginning of April, when I assumed she would soon start feeding again, but so far I've had no luck whatsoever.

Just to add psychological 'angst' to the problem my other Royal doesn't stop feeding over the winter, and so has been happily chomping away while t'other has been resolutely clamping her jaws shut.

Any advice, anyone, or is it just a case of patience ??
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hodgie Posted - 25/05/2012 : 21:13:34
My female Bumblebee is exactly the same, last feed was in the last week of November. the weather is really warming up now so i dont think it will be long
ppl_clectr Posted - 24/05/2012 : 18:23:53
Do you feed live or F/T? If you don't feed live normally, try a live feed to trigger her feed response. Worked like a charm for 2 of mine. Right back to F/T.
n/a Posted - 22/05/2012 : 23:51:53
Hi, my Saada (cf 09) has been just the same this year.

Shahi and Surahi (2 and 6 yrs respectively) have done the winter fast but have broken it now.

Shiva (3 yrs) has eaten well all winter but has now started to fast.

Saada has fasted but snacked a couple of times - but now despite warmer weather is still resolutely fasting. Her weight loss - nothing!

Unless your girl's losing a lot of weight, say 15% of her bodyweight before fast, I wouldn't worry.

But still would be great if the little gits WOULD eat for us, I agree!

Good luck with her!
Lotabob Posted - 22/05/2012 : 23:08:36
The winter hasn't been overly cold this year and the spring hasn't been overly warm so there hasn't been a shift in the temperatures. You could consider cooling her for a little while, its safe and if she hasn't eaten she should be empty, might possibly help, breeders do it to kick start the breeding season when they are warmed back up they usually eat like monsters.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000