The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding, remove hide or not?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carl Posted - 24/05/2012 : 22:23:56
When feeding do you remove the hide from the snake or let them strike from inside with it near the opening?

My thinking is that in the wild they would strike from somewhere hidden to avoid being seen?

Just don't wanna whip the hide off her on her first feed (with me, will be her fourth since she hatched) freak her out and she goes off her food.

I appreciate this is probably down to personal preference but I'm still learning do trying to gather as much information as possible :D

Thanks, Carl
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carl Posted - 25/05/2012 : 06:25:31
Thanks guys! I'm gonna leave the hide on and see how I get on.
Lotabob Posted - 24/05/2012 : 23:16:16
If i lift the hide, Duke won't eat so i would say in is better but you are unable to protect against substrate ingestion.
Leedxmg Posted - 24/05/2012 : 23:03:00
Personally I just wait till there out on the prowl around the cage, quickly defrost a rat and give it a little wiggle a tadge in front of the head, picks up the scent and take it straight away for me :)
blackskull Posted - 24/05/2012 : 23:02:55
i leave the hides in too.
ajokocha Posted - 24/05/2012 : 22:42:20
Both of mine come usually come out from their hide a little to strike, and then fully come out to constrict. However when feeding my mojave today he didn't even bother coming out, just flashed out from nowhere lol. Have a look in the video section to see what I mean, it's the VERY short clip
Carl Posted - 24/05/2012 : 22:33:23
Ahh I'll leave her in there then as she seems pretty shy but she is still settling in. She didn't seem to shy when I bought her so probably just needs time alone. I've only handled her twice and don't plan to again until after her first feed (+48 hours).

Just hope me moving her rub out the viv onto the table won't scare her too much. Not much room if I leave it in the viv.
n/a Posted - 24/05/2012 : 22:27:12
Yup, they do like to strike from cover (hide) and drag prey back in, especially if they're shy royals. Good snake psychology to give them a vantage point to hunt from.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000