The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Ceramic holder help, fast replies appreciated!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jayde Posted - 26/05/2012 : 13:28:29
Got back home from collecting the new vivairums, checking over things to start getting it set up, and I'm stumped by what these holders are. They are made of ceramic and have a hook on the top. The only style I'm useed to are the screw in types.
So I'm not really sure how to attach them to the viv roof.
Is it as simple as fixing a screw and then hanging them? Are they ok to be using? they look and feel like they are ancient! Am I just over analysing and creating a problem over nothing?!!

Also, when you screw the bulb in they seem to hang lop sided, which im guessing isn't normal.

Another question.
One of my larger bulbs seems to have a crack in it. Is that normal for a cermaic bulb, to have small imperfections, or is it going to explode as soon as it has heat running through it?

I was told I was getting pearlco bulbs, but have received solaris. I've never heard of them, what are peoples opinions on them?

Replies would be really appreciated as I need to go back and get this sorted today so I can get on and do the job
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:11:43
I use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-CERAMIC-ES27-E27-vivarium-heat-bulb-light-lamp-holder?item=330730125102&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8718620121452769011#ht_637wt_1139

very cheap but do the job perfectly, I've 4 running at the moment, not had an issue.
reptilemadd Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:07:03
Maplins sell ceramic bulb holders that screw directly to the viv but I think the best ones are the arcadia ones as they use a mounting bracket that would allow you to bend it slightly so the bulb holder isn't touching the the viv's top or side depending where you want to put it, on another note I recently had to change the bulb holder in my Beardies viv and although it's plastic It's rated for bulb use up to 200 watts, so you could even use a ceramic bulb in it lol. And as Kelf said if you've got one viv stacked directly on top of another, you could always put spacers between them to allow a bit of air flow between them..
n/a Posted - 27/05/2012 : 20:27:15
Ah the only ceramic heater I use is in a (older very stout)3' viv with a (flatpack modern fairly flimsy by comparison) 4' viv atop it.

I use polystyrene strips between the top viv and the lower viv to create a space to cut down on heat problems, and all is fine.
Jayde Posted - 27/05/2012 : 20:11:52
Thats a good point, I hadn't even thought of that as I've been more focused on not using them and finding an alternative!
I can safely say that I've not bought and am not thinking of buying animals from them, I thought I'd give them a go as they've recently cropped up and believe each place should be given the opportunity to prove themselves. Plus they were able to price my list up £100 & £150 cheaper than my 2 regular places.
Yeh I was aware of the plastic holder situation, but couldn't really get the thought of a potential fire hazard off my mind, especially as these 2 vivs will be stacked, so didn't want to block the heat escaping and making it worse.. but then it's going to be controlled via the stat. so guess I shouldn't have worried!!
I does bother me to think that the shop will be scaremongering others though,. especially first time enthusiasts, just to sell this odd, and shoddy quality (at least with my experience) equipment.
Lotabob Posted - 27/05/2012 : 19:38:33
Just a small point to query, when you feed the wire through the hole on the SIDE wire it all up and then go to screw it all together this could twist everything inside it ripping the wire from the connectors. You'd have to make sure to allow the wire to turn while screwing it in.

I've never heard of ceramic holders that fix to the roof been illegal, if so my reptile shop is selling illegal goods, as are half the ebayers and internet shops too. The heat transfer into the roof of a vivarium will be exactly the same regardless of the type of holder you use, as heat rises and all that physics. The only thing you cant use is plastic holders as the ceramic bulbs can go much hotter than light emitting bulbs and will melt the holder. I hope you aren't buying your snake from the same shop as they are talking waffle to make you buy the most expensive (or profitable) items with very little reason for it. When I built my stack I ran tests to make sure I was using the right materials and that my stack would last, I ran a ceramic bulb unstatted on a fixed to the ceiling holder and monitored the heat inside and the heat transferred to the ceiling, it got hot but with wood having an ignition point of around the 300oC/570oF the heat bulb would blow itself up and stop working long before it ignited the wood.
Jayde Posted - 27/05/2012 : 12:21:13
Thanks guys. Now to make a choice on the one I want! Being picky makes life so hard! Haha
JanieW Posted - 27/05/2012 : 10:28:37
That link I posted Jayde included a heavy duty caple, high wattage rating and straight forward fitting :)
Its not a fancy reptile brand, just an ordinary ceramic holder, cable and fitting screws :)
blackskull Posted - 27/05/2012 : 10:25:12
its not too much of a faff, it doesn't take any longer than taking the pug off and putting it back on. but it works for me as i drill a hole in the roof of the viv and hang the holder down and secure the wire with those wire holders (the plastic things with pins in can't think of what they are called)
Jayde Posted - 27/05/2012 : 10:15:54
So the komodo ones need the same amount of faff as the ones I'm stuck with ATM. Another thing the shop said yesterday is that the reason the fixtures don't come with wire attached is because ech person will be using different wattage bulbs so will need different strength cable. Surely manufacturer Wouk build different gauge wire for each wattage and state on the box?
Also does anyone know if those flush sitting holders are illegal (that are in chris's eBay link above?)
blackskull Posted - 27/05/2012 : 08:39:36
i use the komodo ones but by the look of the last ones i bought they have changed them. they now come with a 2 pin plug which sits inside a 3 pin casing (for the euro market i guess). they also have a switch on the cable, like you would find on a lamp. due to the way i fit them in the viv (through a hole in the top) i had to strip the ceramic holder apart to feed it through the hole rather than un wiring the plug. the cable is also slightly thinner than the older ones i have
JanieW Posted - 26/05/2012 : 16:46:37
This is the ceramic fitting that I bought last week:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150802344128?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Jayde Posted - 26/05/2012 : 16:46:31
It's a shame no one makes full black holders. They would look much better :/
n/a Posted - 26/05/2012 : 16:27:03
I think the komodo holder is ceramic, not sure about the inside bits. And the flex is extra heavy duty too. I've never seen the Arcadia fitting close up though, so can't say.
Jayde Posted - 26/05/2012 : 16:13:59
Thanks bats, I like the look of the Arcadia ones, no need for hooks then. Are all the actual holder parts white ceramic? (the but that the bulb end physically touches?)
n/a Posted - 26/05/2012 : 16:06:57
ps you're not asking stupid questions - all this stuff is calculated to confuse everybody imo. And yeah, as Janie says, just hang the thing from a hook. Never seen those before myself but all this stuff sends me running for cover - wouldn't be bothered except for the sake of the snakes.
n/a Posted - 26/05/2012 : 16:02:56
I wouldn't say that those fittings are the only ones - here are these -

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/komodo-reptile-ceramic-lamp-fixture.html

and these too

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/arcadia-ceramic-lamp-holder-bracket.html

I use the former; they're ok - you just need a longer guard for the bulb (more expense ...)

Here is the flex you can use for your present fitting -

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptilelighting/lightfittings/5027407006423

Confusing isn't it? But hope this helps.
Jayde Posted - 26/05/2012 : 15:51:28
Ok just been back to them and they have agreed to return the bulb with the crack, but said that the other bulbs (which had chips on their sides) would be in perfect working order so they will have to leave it down to their suppliers to say if they can be exchanged) I have stated that i want the black Exo terra bulbs, and will pay the difference, or a refund and i will go elsewhere) so hopefully that's the bulb issue sorted.

The holders on the other hand are a different story. They won't refund them because they said they are the only legal holders allowed in this country. I explained about the ones in the link and showed them, and was told that these are illegal, due to getting so hot and then heat transfer to the wood started fires. Can anyone shed light on this? Surely they wouldnt be made for ceramics if this was the case? What other fixture options are there out there? Or are they just scare mongerig to try and keep people using their shop?
I popped into an aquarium shop on my way back, who sometimes have a few reptiles and equipment in, and they have cermaic holders made by komodo that had the wire coming from the top and then a small dome fixture. So I'm assuming that you would need to use something to support it? Or do they just dangle and you fiddle with the length?

I feel like I'm asking a load of stupidly basic questions, but no where is giving me the options for choice, explain or being very helpful when I ask to try and sort it out. Very stressed today, especially as I'm now stuck with cermaic holders I may not even use and cant set my viv up until next week when the bulbs will be in at the shop. Arrgh!!
chrisc Posted - 26/05/2012 : 14:03:20
im not sure about the design of that bulb holder.
i use these
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=261030567966&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=16988100664
some have heat resistant cable an a plug fitted to them but the last one i took the socket off of the stat lead an just wired that straight into the bulb holder
JanieW Posted - 26/05/2012 : 13:50:01
I see, so first you feed the cable through that hole on the top, then connect the wires before screwing it back together.
Doing that you'd need to feed the cable in from the back or side of the viv and its coming out at almost a 90 angle.

Hmm I don't think I like that design at all
blackskull Posted - 26/05/2012 : 13:48:52
yeah you will need to buy some heat resistant cable to wire it to the holder

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000