The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 yawning or hungry?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carlb1981 Posted - 28/05/2012 : 10:09:33
Was watching Marty wondering around/hunting around his viv last night and caught him what looked to be like yawning, do snakes yawn? Or was he just stretching his jaws ready for eating? He also looked like he was getting ready to strike a few times so hopefully he will take his rat tonight
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 28/05/2012 : 18:48:49
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

I find that after a few minutes of blowing some rats every snake in the house is out and ready

I dont even know where to begin with that comment.
carlb1981 Posted - 28/05/2012 : 16:30:15
Thanks guys will let you know how it goes
n/a Posted - 28/05/2012 : 16:19:31
quote:
Originally posted by carlb1981

Is using a hairdryer the best way to prepare the rat? Just Marty refused his first rat with me last week and I only warmed it up in hot tap water will try persuading my partner to lend me her hairdryer if this is better method

Yup - as others have said, it's great. Rat well defrosted and room temp of course, then 30 seconds on the rat's nose so that the python heat pits direct the snake straight to the rat head. I like to open the viv door and, holding the dish with the rat on it, give ratty a blowdry while wafting the ratty scent into the viv - the royal's head pops out of its hide and hopefully it's dinnertime.

Good luck with Marty's feed.
Kelfezond Posted - 28/05/2012 : 15:02:20
I always use a hairdryer and I find that after a few minutes of blowing some rats every snake in the house is out and ready (even those annoying ones that don't feed!) hairdryers rock
carlb1981 Posted - 28/05/2012 : 14:59:07
Is using a hairdryer the best way to prepare the rat? Just Marty refused his first rat with me last week and I only warmed it up in hot tap water will try persuading my partner to lend me her hairdryer if this is better method
ajokocha Posted - 28/05/2012 : 13:40:33
I'll second what kelf just said. I was weighing a few rats up on last feeding day. Within a minute of opening the tub to weigh the rats Floyd was out, coiled like a spring. And my girlfriends royal, Osiris thinks its dinner time everytime my girlfriend turns on her hair dryer lol
Kelfezond Posted - 28/05/2012 : 13:36:38
He'll know if you've got food for him don't you worry, he'll probably smell it before you even get into his room :D
carlb1981 Posted - 28/05/2012 : 13:10:39
He might not have been ready to strike I just thought that's what it looked like he was sitting on top of his bamboo root with his head coiled back in an s and thought he might be thinking I had food for him
austin_89 Posted - 28/05/2012 : 10:12:16
They do yawn from time to time just cause :) its great to watch... What was he getting ready to strike at? If it wasn't food or something at his viv he shouldn't be wanting to strike at anything.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000