The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 How long should I have him out for?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lincsfox Posted - 29/05/2012 : 18:32:19
I've had monty out a few times this week for a couple of minutes at a time, but the mrs is out tonight, so once the kids are in bed I can play to my heart's content.

I just wondered how long I should have him out for before I put him back in, he's pretty content so don't think it'll stress him, just don't want him to get cold
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 30/05/2012 : 15:58:38
Yes - I find this - and I also find they go in phases - in a few weeks' or months' time I might find that the current extroverts are hiding away and saying 'do I know you?' whereas the reclusives are banging on their doors for armchair walkies. I tend to let the snake ask - as they do.

So you might find your normal girls suddenly coming out of their shells, or hides lol.
jhk2005 Posted - 30/05/2012 : 15:41:34
it seems to depend on the snake - my yellowbellies are really adventurous and seem to make a beeline for me to 'come out and play' but are still very 'head-shy' whereas of my normal girls will hide at every available opportunity and seem to dislike being disturbed unless necessary?

actually i'm quite jealous of my nephews - their male royal is really friendl and quite bold - even likes having his chin tickled ; no head shyness at all?! would love to breed him to some of my girls and see if his excellent personality is inheritable ;)
n/a Posted - 30/05/2012 : 15:37:31
Ouch, Austin, yes, just goes to show you can't be too careful. Molly and Ziska are very interested in each other (with a viv door between them of course!) Molly is patting everywhere with her paw and Ziska's head is going from side to side ...thinks Molly's a nice tasty young ginger hare ...would NEVER let those two meet.

Yeah, Coxcats, one of my older cats is also fascinated with the snakes in their vivs; does seem to be some communion going on there; the snake, whether hatchling or adult, seems as interested as the cat; in fact Shahi bonded with her before he bonded with me ...her name is ...Mouse! Lol!
ajokocha Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:46:57
quote:
Originally posted by austin_89

One of My cats met my friends adult royal and was fine with him, they were nose to nose... But one of her snakes bit her cat on the nose :) naughty bugger!

Oh dear, bet that made it jump lol
austin_89 Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:02:56
One of My cats met my friends adult royal and was fine with him, they were nose to nose... But one of her snakes bit her cat on the nose :) naughty bugger!
coxcats Posted - 30/05/2012 : 11:27:12
3 of mine arent particularly bothered by him but the other one stares at him and puts her paw up. Naughty girl!
n/a Posted - 30/05/2012 : 11:00:14
Ah same here, 4 cats. Actually the three older ones are very little trouble. After nearly 3 years of living with snakes they seem to regard them as part of the furniture, but new cat Molly is a livewire - though even she seems to be learning that the snakes aren't toys. Naturally I'm vigilant, but snakes and cats in the same house seem to work ok.
coxcats Posted - 30/05/2012 : 09:27:26
Im glad to read this topic. I wondered if Sas was abnormal! He loves being out. He has a good wriggle around then settles down to be stroked and sleep (usually inside whatever Im wearing!)I love handling him (never thought i would say that!)I do have to be careful though cos I have 4 cats! x
ajokocha Posted - 29/05/2012 : 21:06:42
Hiya, obviously every snake is different and some are fine being out for hours and others ten mins. I've had my Floyd (who's temperament is sublime) out while I've been watching the football before for about an hour, I think he could of stayed out longer tbh, doesn't want to go back in half the time lol. Yet my little mojo daren't move for the first few mins of being out, yet he's everywhere once he's realised I'm not gonna eat him! Yet still when I'm putting him back he can't get away from me fast enough lol. But if you have a content snake hell be ok for a good while, he'll let you know if he's had enough lol. Enjoy your playtime :)
JanieW Posted - 29/05/2012 : 19:57:38
Hi guys :)

Oh he'll be fine Lincs, it isn't unusual for Slinky or Fea to be out an 6pm and still out at 10pm. They find a comfy spot and settle in sleep I think lol
Fea is out right now, he always comes out before feeding :) Yeah I break all the rules, but it works for my babies hehe
*pokes Chris* lol you know me pretty well
n/a Posted - 29/05/2012 : 19:55:43
Yeah, sometimes they have a bit of an explore and then curl up happily with you; sometimes they're twitchy and just don't settle and then they're best back in their viv. As you and Chris say, as long as they're warm, that's the main thing. I usually just let the snake decide, except for a new little one; my new hatchling will get maybe five minutes for his first outing, gradually working up - but he's tiny. An older snake would get a longer time.
chrisc Posted - 29/05/2012 : 18:48:05
in this weather he would be fine for an hour or 2, long as hes not cold or stressed the its fine.
sure jainew usually has hers out for quite a while in the evenings

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000