The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Ok, worried now!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lincsfox Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:26:59
I've just weighed Monty and he's gone from 1123g down to 968g in a month, couple that with his not eating and I'm starting to worry

Is a trip to the vets in order?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hodgie Posted - 02/06/2012 : 16:44:11
sounds to me as if the initial wieght wasn`t an empty one.
Lincsfox Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:47:18
He was on rats before, I've been trying him on the same
chrisc Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:32:46
ah right i didnt realise youve only had him a few weeks.
do the records state if he was on rats or mice or did the previous owner say?
see what the vet says the can try braining, scenting ect or see if a mouse will tempt him
Lincsfox Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:20:15
This is the problem, I've only had him a couple of weeks, so I'm just going by the records I was given, I would hope it was empty weight, common sense would say that's how you do it, but then there was only a week between feeding and weighing, and I have no poop records.

Chris - he's not pooped since he's been with me, but he doesn't feel bunged up. I've also bathed him, which normally loosens things and no joy. I've tried him on rat's once a week at about 120g. I've just tried him on a rat weener to see if he'll take something smaller, he sniffed it but no desire to eat it, I'll leave it in there though. I wasn't too worried about him not eating because I've only had him a couple of weeks, but then when I measured him over 10% weight loss can't be good in a month!
chrisc Posted - 31/05/2012 : 18:00:06
has he pooed recently?
what different methods of getting him to feed?
has he pooed at all? would be worth a poo test as thats a far amount to lose in a month
n/a Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:55:38
Ah,and also those handy little digital scales have a warped sense of humour lol.

But definitely, any doubts, get him checked.
n/a Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:53:11
Hi, the fasting isn't too serious - my Saada's only fed twice in 6 months, but will admit her weight loss is nothing like Monty's.

Was his initial weight an empty weight? Because he does look a nice rounded lad.

But yeah, better a vet visit to put your mind at rest - all the best with him.
JanieW Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:49:45
You made the right decision, if i'm in any doubt I make that call..the babies always come first :)
Lincsfox Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:41:17
Vets booked for 9.30 tomorrow, let's hope it's nothing serious

He's only eaten twice this year, 21st April and 5th May
JanieW Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:37:12
Lincs, from experience there is nothing anybody can say without seeing Monty to quell your fears. Only you know if his behaviour has changed e.g more lethargic, constantly hiding if active before. If you do see a change and he's not due a shed then a trip to the vet would do no harm.
ajokocha Posted - 31/05/2012 : 17:33:23
That does seem quite a drastic weight loss. Maybe a check up with the vets would be a good idea to put your mind at rest. How long has it been since he last ate?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000