The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 When should I start to worry?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carl Posted - 01/06/2012 : 06:38:21
Right, I've had my royal almost 2 weeks now. She refused her first feed and now her second last night too. I'm not too worried at the moment but im wondering when I should be.

Reason I ask is that she is only about 5-6 weeks old. She's had 3 feeds with the shop with her last on the 17th may. I weighed her the day after I got her and she was 80 grams. I've not really handled her since as I want her to settle in.

I've got some plants and 2 hides in her rub to try and make her feel at home.

Also, I go on holiday a week on Sunday and wouldn't like to leave my dad with too much stress.

When I try and feed her head is near the start of the hide but when the foods near she turns round almost as though she's scared of it? I leave it overnight and find it in touched in the morning.

So, any ideas or do you know when I should start to worry? For an adult I understand it's nothing at all but she's still a baby?

Thanks, Carl.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 16/06/2012 : 16:32:36
great to hear that she's now eaten
Carl Posted - 16/06/2012 : 15:55:44
Result! Sorry I've not been on here much, I'm currently enjoying my holiday and 3G signal is almost non existent!

After brin on the phone to my dad for over half hour giving instructions last night (he likes every possibility covered) he fed her for me.

Left the mouse on top of the viv for a while, about an hour before he planned to feed he popped it under the heat lamp in the viv (she is in a rub inside the viv) and he said she was looking everywhere round the rub after it. He popped the lid off the rub and for the first time ever she started looking round the viv straight out of her rub. He warmed the head with the hair dryer while she was looking round and once he got her in a nice place offered the prey. She struck and my mom said she saw her constrict but only for a second. Then she ate the lot within a few minutes!

He then got her back in the rub and left her to it. So happy she's fed but disappointed I missed the first one but never mind :)

Thanks for all your help, you've all helped me keep calm about it. Carl
Danno91 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 19:03:21
Glad to there is some progress
Kelfezond Posted - 10/06/2012 : 15:01:10
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Least I got to see her strike though. So quick it's unreal!

Wait 'till the day you lose your tongs and have to hand feed ^^
Carl Posted - 10/06/2012 : 14:38:45
She didn't take it through the night so in hoping next time she should strike and constrict properly. I wouldn't be surprised if its the first time she's ever strook so possibly scared herself a little lol? Hoping next time she'll have a little more confidence.

Only problem is I'm away for 10/11 days now so if she does my dad will see it not me haha! Least I got to see her strike though. So quick it's unreal!
ppl_clectr Posted - 10/06/2012 : 13:20:23
I hold by the scruff and move the prey around. I also warm it in hot water til it feels warm to my touch. Sometimes I have even had to go back and rewarm. The blow dryer is a great idea, it also disseminates the rat smell, gets the snake interested before you even offer. I have ten snakes right now, and I don't drop feed anyone, each one is offered in tongs. No problems with anyone biting the metal yet. Did have the tongs get caught in coils once, and just waiting til she was done "killing" it.
mystra Posted - 10/06/2012 : 12:51:05
aww bless, that's progress!

Seems that she's got it, just give her time to get over her 'nerves', warming the preys heads the way to go - no need for other methods yet :) Hopefully she eats it later on, now she's 'killed' it. Yay! Keep us updated!
Kelfezond Posted - 10/06/2012 : 09:25:06
Sounds good! wish you the best of luck Carl, keep us updated
Carl Posted - 09/06/2012 : 23:56:03
Just tried again.

Got the mouse out earlier and left it in the cool end to thaw (she's in a rub within the viv) and about an hour an half later put it under the lamp. She was right out her hides so I opened the glass and popped the lid off the rub, as I did she shot in her hide. Warmed the head with the hair dryer and it seemed as she smelt it she came out her hide. Held it as shown above close to the ground. She got closer and closer and her neck went to an s, my heart was nearly beating out my chest at this point. She struck so quick but didn't constrict, after a second or two she dropped it and retreated back to her hide and she's hidden her head. I've left it in there and will hope for the best.

Definitely progress though I just hope she thinks she killed it and will eat it?
Carl Posted - 08/06/2012 : 11:30:12
Those pictures are useful, I'll try that. Next time I'm gonna warm the head with a hair dryer and see how we go
Danno91 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 00:34:43
For some reason I can't copy the omg code but here is a link to the pictures
http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/danno91/
The idea is the prey is as it would be if its alive so moving round at the correct level not hanging over the snakes head which in my small amount of experience can lead them to ball up or scare away

Hopefuly link works as I can't get on laptop to copy correct code I'll see if I can work out away of doing It from my phone
Danno91 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 23:44:51
There is no harm in getting your dad to try imo. I'll take a picture in a min of how I hold the prey (it will be frozen so it won't be perfect but it will give you an idea and I'll explain my my reasons then
Carl Posted - 06/06/2012 : 23:36:39
Now, I go away for almost 2 weeks on Sunday morning, I've been trying a feed every 5 days do far.

My plan is to try a feed maybe in the early hours of Sunday morning, I'd prefer Sunday night but obviously I'll be away. So I'll try early Sunday morning, get the head end nice and hot with the hair dryer and hope she strikes. I'm thinking she might not be recognising it as food as its too cold so then she's becoming scare of it? Although her first three feeds were just thawed nothing else, and I would be surprised if they were strike feeds as the bloke must of had 15 royals to feed plus all the other stuff there so was most likely a drop feed?

But I'll try that and I I have no luck do you think it's worth getting my dad to try while I'm away? He won't mind at all but I'm wondering of a little break could do her good?

And I've been holding her by the base of the tail in the tweezers generally. Best to hold round the neck you think? I thought the tweezers could get in the way a little when she strikes?

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, I really, really appreciate it!
Danno91 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 11:40:49
10% is when id to start to worry and begin trying things like braining but with how small he is I may reduce this slightly,

This is the order id be doing things in
Warming with hair dryer (now do this with all my food)
Try smaller prey or different prey
Braining

I've never needed to try the below but in sure I will
Live feeding
Assist feeding\ or vets to be assist fed

The bottom two for me are a last resort and hope I never need to.

As you know the snake fed before you got him I'm sure its just it needs more time to settle in
Don't try to feed it to often keep offering on feeding days.

I usually feed late at night and thaw the rats\mice out next to the vivs, when in heating them I open the vivs ever so slightly so they can smell the food 2/3 of mine will come out and look for the food at this point

This has taken me 2 years to find what works for mine even now I feel I should be trying more to get my albino to feed better but he has lost no weight so for now he keeps being offered and I try new things hoping it will work but inevitably he will feed when ready

n/a Posted - 06/06/2012 : 11:31:58
A loss of 10/15% of the snake's original weight; also if you imagine an adult royal in cross-section, it should be Mars Bar shaped - rounded at the top, not Toblerone shaped; triangular. Hatchlings' backbones may tend to look a bit more prominent though; have noticed this with my young lad even though he eats well and is gaining weight.
Foxysausage Posted - 06/06/2012 : 11:15:56
How much of a weight loss would you say is worrying time? Or is it any at all?
Danno91 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 10:50:37
I agree I wouldn't worry about braining just yet royals are renound to be fussy eaters, how are you holding the prey I have found holding it at the scruff of the neck helped as well as a quick blast with the hair dryer,

I know how frustrating it can be to have a royal not feeding my albino is a very fussy eater will only eat in the pitch black will not strike.

Just keep an eye on the weight if this starts to drop then you need to start to worry

mystra Posted - 06/06/2012 : 09:59:42
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

No luck. I just dropped it in and went to bed but it looks untouched.

Think I might have to try braining it and warning the head next time. Do I brain it while still frozen or when thawed?

try just warming it first (if you haven't done that already) - my Chancho wont even look at food unless it's heads been blasted with a hairdryer til it's hot! He also doesn't drop feed... if he doesn't strike and have it there and then, he never bothers with it when left overnight.

Just try one different technique at a time, once a week tops. If in a few weeks and different weird techniques she shows no signs of change i'd give a smaller RUB a whirl... although i reckon she just needs a little time :) but some royals like to be cramped up from what i've seen lol

good luck!
Carl Posted - 06/06/2012 : 06:12:42
No luck. I just dropped it in and went to bed but it looks untouched.

Think I might have to try braining it and warning the head next time. Do I brain it while still frozen or when thawed?
mattc142 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:35:30
You could also try puting the prey in at night and just leave it there. Some of my snakes have been food shy and puting the mouse in at night has worked. If all else fails but could try braining the mouse ive also had luck with this method. Just cut the mouses head open to expose the brain. Just keep tryin youll get there. Good luck

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000