The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Does Infrared bother Royals?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:58:19
I ask as Slinky is in his new viv, with said heating but even when placed in his warm hide, he won't stay there. Instead he's always in his cool hide.

Temps 32c warm end and 27c cool.
So was wondering if its the infrared that's bothering him.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Meadow Posted - 03/06/2012 : 21:13:40
My temps are the same as yours, hot & cold, and Penelope seems to prefer the cooler end. No lights in her viv, though - got a reptile radiator for heat, and only put the blue moonlight on when I want to view at night but other than that it's just natural light or the bedroom light, no infrared, but she still prefers the cooler end.
Carl Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:56:48
Ahh, I'll try that then, thanks for your help!

I'm hoping the red bulb will be better because it's already harder for me to see in there so it's gotta be darker for her.
JanieW Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:36:14
In the wild the temperature drops, but its still a tropical climate, so really you need heat on 24/7. I wouldn't advise turning heat off at night, its when they need it most imo.
n/a Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:34:49
IR bulbs need to be left on 24/7. The stat is there to do the work and the ambient temp will drop slightly at night, depending on room temp/weather. All my adult royals have IR bulbs (guarded and statted) and the snakes are fine.
Carl Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:27:24
Similar question to what I was going to ask so I may as well post in here.

I had a green bulb but have just swapped to a red one. It appears much darker in there now to me as if less light travels through the red one so I'm hoping she can settle in a little more and take her food.

I was advised from where I bought the bulb from to try turning it off overnight. Now, I can put it on a timer for say 11pm-5am so the bulb is off. Obviously this will reduce the temperatures through the night but is this something I should try or avoid? Way I look at it is that in the wild when the sun goes down the temps will drop massively anyway?

Worth giving it a shot or just trying with the red bulb? Eventually I want to change to ceramic.
carlb1981 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 15:01:32
He's still not eating he had a few sniffs at a mouse but didn't take it going to try again tonight got him a smaller hide to so he feels more secure
Lotabob Posted - 03/06/2012 : 15:01:00
Dimmer stats can be used with any type of bulb including ceramics, all my ceramics run on dimmer stats and they are set to an exact degree and they dont budge not even .1 of a degree they are by far the most accurate type of thermostat. Pulses are great too but dimemrs get my vote.
JanieW Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:54:48
If he's eating Carl, it sounds like it isn't bothering him :)
carlb1981 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:43:05
I have an ir bulb too if i change to ceramic will my dimmer stat be ok
Lotabob Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:14:45
Duke never uses his warm side hide unless I''ve taken out his cool side one to wash it, he will go over on a night and bask but always returns to his cooler side hide. Now you have switched from a mat to a vivarium there is now an ambient temperature, mine is about 25oC but it moves about a degree or so in response to the room temperature, this keeps them warm enough for everyday functioning, the 32oC bit is a hot spot so should they choose to warm up a bit they can but it doesn't mean they spend all there time at this temperature. Its also summer so the ambient temperature is higher than it would be in winter too. If you are providing the right temperatures then its upto the snake how it uses it. If he is eating then its unlikely he is stressed out.
JanieW Posted - 03/06/2012 : 13:58:37
Thanks for that Rob, I too suspect that its that bulb..he can definately see it as he looks up at it then hurries to the unlit side.
Steve is away on a course until Friday, but then I think we'll switch the ceramic in that I have, unless by then he uses his warm hide.
Lotabob Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:35:36
I may slightly fly against convention (its not like me I know) but Duke is a far more chilled out and active snake since I binned those (lying) IR bulbs and switched to ceramics, he was moved to a far bigger vivarium at the time too and I thought that would unsettle him but having true darkness has made him more active at night and generally more chilled out pretty much as soon as he was switched.

The problem I have with these (lying) IR bulbs is its not IR, its just red, this may be closer to the infra red end of the scale but its visible red light so it cant be infra red. What they should call them is 'red bulbs that filter out most of the disruptive white light for nocturnal viewing and heating of animals' but then they'd have to make a bigger box. So it may not be as disruptive as white light but I'm absolutely positive they can see the light it produces and dependant on the snake this could be disruptive or not.
JanieW Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:05:49
Thanks for your replies guys :)

So Slinky is just doing what he wants to do lol as always :)
chrisc Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:02:15
naver had or heard of any problems from IR bulbs
if hes moved from a heatmat to a bulb setup he probarbly needs to adjust to having the hot end opposed to just belly heat from the mat ot he just likes it a bit cooler.
one of my bulls is never in the hot end an the other rarely leaves it
n/a Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:00:52
Most of my snakes prefer to stay in their cool end, whether the heating's mat, IR or ceramic. In fact as long as temps are ok I reckon that's fine as they have the warm end to call on if they need the extra heat.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000