The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Viv Temperature

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ClaireJohnston Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:47:42
Our thermostat is reading at 86, and has maintained the temperature correctly. Should the heat lamp automatically turn off as it is maintained via the thermostat?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mattc142 Posted - 14/06/2012 : 07:14:11
Yes bob is rite on the bulb life you might notice that the bulb will only last a week some times due to the jolt of electricity being thrown in to the bulb over and over again the can burn out really quick a dimming therm doesnt cut the bulb out so less likelly for the bulb to pop. Dimming therms are a tad more exspensive but they pay for them selves. Have you thort of putting a ceramic bulb in they give a good constant temp. Then you could alway light your viv with leds it looks great.
Lotabob Posted - 13/06/2012 : 23:25:01
Its an on off stat so yes when the temperature at the probe reaches the set temperature the bulb will switch off. You want the area directly under the bulb to be about 90oF/32oC so you take the temperature reading from there and set the stat to switch off at this temperature. You dont use the guide printed on the stat though as it varies due to the variable probe placement. So you wait until the hot spot hits 32oC and then set the stat to switch off at that point, then with fine tuning you can get it to hold a steady temperature.

One thing you will find is on/off stats kill bulbs very quickly, ideally dimming stats are required to prolong the life of the bulb abd also they are far more accurate.
ClaireJohnston Posted - 13/06/2012 : 21:04:17
We are currently using a MINISTAT 300 in a 3ft Viv, the probe has been pushed through the back of the Viv directly in between the hot side and the cool side. It is approx 3cm off the floor. We bought it set up from a reputable shop and assume that they have correctly placed the probe! Our baby is only 4 wks old and we only bought him home today, but have had the Viv for a couple of days to get it up to the correct temp but the bulb has never turned off yet! If we manually turn the external thermostat down it reaches 76 but to re light the bulb it has to be turned up to 82. When we have been told the correct temp should be 84. Would this be a faulty thermostat? and the thermometer is reading 86.
Fezza Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:52:17
The light should be either switched off or dimmed by the stat when it reaches the set temp. If your light is still on it suggests that the temp at the probe is not high enough or your stat is broken

Which stat are you using and where do you have your probe positioned?

Oh, welcome also
Evolution Morphs Posted - 13/06/2012 : 20:50:44
Hi and welcome

Turn off when ?

It's to hot?
Night time?

I'd be trying to aim for 88f-90f as well

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000