The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Royals mood swings!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alex Posted - 18/06/2012 : 20:55:07
I've just gone to get monty out of his viv and he came shooting out of his hide like some crazy mad serpent lol! He didn't strike at all but it was like who is in my viv I'm going to find out! He was straight in my face and not backing off! It just goes to show how royals moods can differ just as ours can. He is normally so shy and backs away really quickl so it was strange seeing him like this and so bold and confident!!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:38:36
Yeah like Bob I'd avoid putting anything over their head as it's just not really needed, I might consider it with a large snake that could give a nasty bite but royals rarely bite and when they do they don't really do any damage, best thing to do is just get the job done with :)
Lotabob Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:36:48
I think its unnecessary plus Royal's are naturally head shy, its far easier and quicker to just get a hold of them by their middle section and pick them up. I too wont be put off by hissing providing its not due to me doing something I shouldn't, for example when heavily blue I leave all my snakes alone but if they must be lifted for whatever reason then it just has to be done. Duke hisses SO loud and explosively it makes you jump but once you scoop him up he is perfectly calm.
badwool Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:29:01
I've heard putting a cloth over their heads first helps. Do you think this is a bad practice?
Kelfezond Posted - 20/06/2012 : 18:57:04
I think it's important for us and them that if we're going to pick them up one day we do it even if striking and hissing is going on, I don't like letting my snakes think they can scare me away with a hiss and a strike. Are they smart enough to learn from that? I dunno, but I like to play it safe, especially with the boa's. I also think if you back down when she's striking it's going to just make it harder for you to deal with her when she's angry and you do have to handle her.
badwool Posted - 20/06/2012 : 18:47:39
Would you leave it alone if it was striking?
Lotabob Posted - 20/06/2012 : 18:43:56
Get close enough and they will get you too. A lot of striking is bluff.
badwool Posted - 20/06/2012 : 18:17:36
From what Ive seen dont royals tend to strike at the air inbetween you and them more than actually aim for you?
alex Posted - 18/06/2012 : 22:40:23
ha yea its quite funny! it just seemed strange as he had never acted that way before! I was convinced he was going to take a bit out of me lol!
Lotabob Posted - 18/06/2012 : 22:15:41
Ahh yes the dog out of the kennel response, I have a Boa that will put her nose right upto your hand and keep it there while you lift up the hide, its very unnerving but I've got used to her doing it now, same when I pick her up she gives that 'be gentle with me' look and then raises up like a cobra as I pick her out to look me in the face. lol.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000