The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Live or assisted?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lincsfox Posted - 24/06/2012 : 01:06:25
Ok, really need to get some food down Monty, after losing 100g he was stabilised by a formula meal given by the vets but now he's dropped another 20g this week. I've tried everything feeding wise, temps and Viv are fine so now I'm left with one option assist or live,

What would you guys suggest first?

Hes about 4 1/2ft long and now 948g, what should I live or assist him with?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lincsfox Posted - 26/06/2012 : 00:44:59
Cheers Kelf, found it, I reckon I'm on the right track, just need to be a little more forceful with the rat.
Kelfezond Posted - 25/06/2012 : 23:59:17
I have a video on my channel www.youtube.com/kelfezond of me feeding "dopey" his medicine, it's the same principal with assist feeding so that might help you, can't link you right now as on way to bed but will link in morning if you've not found it :)
Lincsfox Posted - 25/06/2012 : 23:31:34
Cheers kref, think I was nervous of being too rough, I've left it in the Viv in hopes of a miracle but if not I'll try again towards the end of the week
Kelfezond Posted - 25/06/2012 : 23:27:48
Yeah you generally have to force the bite a bit, use the nose of the rat to pry his mouth open until he wants to bite.
Lincsfox Posted - 25/06/2012 : 23:11:54
First attempt of assisted feeding failed miserably, held him behind the head (not too tight, offered a warmed weaner rat, rubbed his lips with it for 10 minutes and he just sat there looking at me like "what are you doing" :-(
Evolution Morphs Posted - 24/06/2012 : 09:26:14
I've heard people use dilute powerade the drink to soak there royal in to get a non feeder to feed
Personally I use reptiboost added to there water
It's the energy drink for reptiles

Don't know if it will help in your case
but it won't hurt to try

Good luck with him
Kelfezond Posted - 24/06/2012 : 08:18:35
It all depends on him really if he's unwell or sick id go assist a few times to give him the energy to actually hunt live, then go live to kick start his appetite
acd1984 Posted - 24/06/2012 : 01:57:16
Im assuming you have tried mice and chicks. The vet may be able to give him some vitamins, iv heard its supposed to work, with other snakes not sure about royals.

Im not sure which would be best for your snake but I would try assisting firstly, but that's more because of my personal views more than anything

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000