The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 What thermostat would i need?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cookie Posted - 27/06/2012 : 01:48:10
Hi guys, need some advice please. Ever since I've had my royal I've kept him in a wooden viv, 3x2x2, and for a heat/light source I've just used a normal 60w bulb with a cage. This gives me a warm end of 80°F and slightly cooler on the cool end. I have it connected to a timer so it's on for 12 hours a day.

I want to get a thermostat and I know this sounds silly but I dont know how to connect it/ how to use it and what one to get.

Also should I be providing a heatsource during the night too? Maybe one of the IR Bulbs or something? (Im in the UK)

I know this should be basic knowledge at this stage but would appreciate any help, thanks.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lincsfox Posted - 28/06/2012 : 12:30:05
just got mine, all new for £46, happy days :-)
Kelfezond Posted - 28/06/2012 : 10:30:12
AHS' are very expensive anyway mine cost me £90 online so £130 doesn't sound too terrible from a pet shop :)
Cookie Posted - 28/06/2012 : 10:19:06
quote:
Originally posted by Lincsfox

Just thought I'd mention, I went into a reptile centre a few weeks back looking at a ceramic heating system, and for the things listed above, minus the thermometer they quoted me £130, I nearly fell over.

Thank goodness for eBay

Pet stores are far too expensive hi! If they had the sense to lower their prices they would get a lot more sales. I rarely buy anything from them.
Lincsfox Posted - 27/06/2012 : 11:55:23
Stats on eBay aren't cheap, surry pets, even with delivery are cheaper than anything I could find new on eBay, second hand ones on eBay aren't cheap enough to be worth the risk either to be honest, only saving £5-10 on the new cost
chrisc Posted - 27/06/2012 : 10:54:54
no problem you may find a cheaper stat on ebay but not much cheaper to be honest. the ceramic bulbs in the link are the same as the branded ones just without the logo on them.
they are fairly Resilient animals and at least you had the bulb guarded
Lincsfox Posted - 27/06/2012 : 10:34:52
Just thought I'd mention, I went into a reptile centre a few weeks back looking at a ceramic heating system, and for the things listed above, minus the thermometer they quoted me £130, I nearly fell over.

Thank goodness for eBay
Cookie Posted - 27/06/2012 : 10:17:14
Hey guys, thanks for all the info its been really helpful! I never realised how much I was neglecting my snakes, looking forward to getting them all setup correctly now!

chrisc thanks for the links! That will save me a lot of searching!
chrisc Posted - 27/06/2012 : 07:32:17
if you dont want the IR then use a ceramic as said
ceramic bulb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150-WATT-CERAMIC-HEAT-BULB-LAMP-ES-FIT-REPTILE-/270825873378?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3f0e7adfe2
ceramic bulb holder
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERAMIC-VIVARIUM-HEAT-BULB-LIGHT-LAMP-HOLDER-REPTILE-/220745245960?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3365712508
dimmer stat
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-dimming-thermostat-600w.html
pp stat
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-pulse-proportional-thermostat-600w.html
both of these will be fine for ceramic bulbs
digital thermometer x2 hot a cool end
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Reptile-Vivarium-/280774767435?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item415f7af34b
you said youve got a guard so fit the ceramic holder/bulb/guard to the roof an thread the wire thtough the back.
drill 2 holes in the bottom of the back wall aroung floor level and thread the stat an thermometer probes through then cable tie them together so they sit under the bulb an guard.
the bulb plugs into the thermostat then adjust the stat dial till the digital thermometer reads the right temp 32-33c and the cool end will take care of its self
Fezza Posted - 27/06/2012 : 07:32:16
+1 for ceramic bulb/holder & pulse prop stat

You gotta get your warm end temps up about 10*f for your snake to be comfortable
carlb1981 Posted - 27/06/2012 : 05:58:28
You can use a ceramic bulb and a pulse prop stat i think the pulse prop stat is 30 pound from surrey pet supplies you'll have to use a ceramic bulb fitting too as plastic ones can melt
Cookie Posted - 27/06/2012 : 02:28:56
Hi carlb1981, thanks for the reply.

Ok so I had a look online and found http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/ for the habistat dimmer stat for £40.00, is this ok?

And my vivs are in my room, not sure if I could sleep with the IR red light at night, have you any suggestions??
carlb1981 Posted - 27/06/2012 : 02:13:49
I would get rid of the normal light bulb and swap it for an ir bulb and use a dimmer stat this gets left on 24/7 your hot end temp needs to be higher than 80f too ideally it should be 32c. and the dimmer stat regulates itself once you've set it to correct temp, the stat itself is plugged into power source then the plug for your bulb plugs into the socket on your stat and the probe from stat goes inside viv at hot end i have mine directly under bulb. also you could use a ceramic heat bulb with a pulse prop stat which is set up in the same way
Cookie Posted - 27/06/2012 : 01:57:23
I forgot to add, I was thinking about one of them dimmer thermostats but do they regulate the temperature themselves or do you need to manually dim them etc?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000