The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Shedding problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Smiley Posted - 29/06/2012 : 11:05:51
Hi all,

My royal Yogi is eating fine every week, but the problem is that he has started to shed but not all in one like he should be. He is only shedding in little bits I have found loads of little bits of skin in his viv, any one got any ideas why he is not shedding like he should be, and how can i help him to shed all in one next time.

Thank u
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
coxcats Posted - 30/06/2012 : 21:22:30
I use the wet flannel (thanks for the tip guys) and Sas shed really easily last time.
jonoandapril Posted - 30/06/2012 : 10:53:49
i bought a shedding hide, think its a reptimed one. it looks like a log and slides into two. i just plonk that in their rub's with a damp teatowel when their hitting that kinda time . perfect every time now.
Lotabob Posted - 29/06/2012 : 23:39:22
What Blackskull said.

I use the flannel on the hide trick and it works well. Duke sprung a stealth shed on me once as he doesn't come out often and 20 minutes wiggle time in a pillowcase had every scrap of stuck skin off.

Dont spray the snake directly, they dont appreciate it at all,my Boa would kick your backside if you sprayed her, did it accidentally once wetting the flannel and she attacked me. I get a damp piece of kitchen roll and rub them with it, Duke leans into it as if its nice so he gets that if humidity is really low at the time.
konrad1982 Posted - 29/06/2012 : 22:05:18
When I see that my snakes are due to shed I always put big piece of foil underneath their hides and wet moss into the hides. I also get snakes out and spray them directly on their skin. They always shed in one piece without any problems. To be honest I'm not even worried if humidity jumps to 75 or even 80% within these few days. Snakes are healthy and look healthy.
blackskull Posted - 29/06/2012 : 14:32:32
another option is to put a wet flannel on top of the hot hide when you notice him go blue, i do this and my snakes shed in one almost all the time. i never mist my vivs.

if he is having a bad shed you could pop him into a wet pillow case with a wet towel in, put him back in the viv in the middle in the pillow case and leave him there for about 20mins. as he moves around in the pillow case the moisture and friction should help lift the retained skin
Cookie Posted - 29/06/2012 : 13:32:06
Oh and for some more info check the care sheet on this site too, its good :)

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/royal_python_care_sheet.htm
Cookie Posted - 29/06/2012 : 13:30:11
Maybe increase the humidity in the tank to 60%-70%, and I often give my boys a luke warm bath when I see their getting ready to shed, this helps not only with the shed, but I've noticed it helps their digestion along too as often they leave me a wee present after in their tank haha

Has he got something inside the tank to rub off to start the shed?

Make sure if he isn't shedding correctly that no shed remains on his eyes and tail too. Don't be afraid to help him if he is struggling but be very gentle.

Hope this helps.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000