The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Pythons
 am getting a burmese :-)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
martinking6 Posted - 20/08/2011 : 05:18:44
Well it looks like am going to take the plunge, ive found some lovely specimens from a breeder who uses these snakes for shows and films, etc

They keep the young for minimum 6 months and handle them daily to be sure they are as steady and friendly as they get, so a great starting point

My dilemma is I was intent on getting a male purely for the size difference but there is a female that ive taken a shine to as well.

Altogether theres a choice of 3 favourites consisting of 2 males and 1 female but tbh am hoping that the snake will choose us when we go to pick one up but in the mean time ive got some pics of them to show you all, maybe you can help me choose

Female
------

Male 1
------

Male 2
------

Any help/comments greatly appreciated

Martin
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/12/2011 : 19:42:18
quote:
Originally posted by Lionscar

quote:
Originally posted by martinking6

Hiya

What zoo do you work at, was my dream job but couldnt do the studying, etc for qualifications ?

Martin

Hi Martin, sounds like youve got a good one, I think most people do with bums but there are always the unfortunate ones (like us) that have a burm with a rock python attitude.
You are dead right about housing, in my mind it is the single most important consideration in housing any animal, I have seen hundreds of times at work how a few alterations to an animals enclosure can have massive effects,as an example, ten years ago we had a breeding pair of cassowary that never bred but after a change of scenery they bred within months. we are now literally over run with cassowaries.
I work at Paignton Zoo.
Keep us updated.

Errrrm, sorry, a silly rhyme from my youth -

'I wish I was a cassowary
On the plains of Timbuktoo.
I'd kill and eat a missionary.
Cassock and hymnbook too' ...

I suppose these days you'd have to feed your cassowaries frozen thawed missionaries, to be humane and pc, but hope you allow them the occasional cassock and hymnbook too ...
Lionscar Posted - 06/12/2011 : 19:08:16
quote:

Hiya

What zoo do you work at, was my dream job but couldnt do the studying, etc for qualifications ?

Martin

Hi Martin, sounds like youve got a good one, I think most people do with bums but there are always the unfortunate ones (like us) that have a burm with a rock python attitude.
You are dead right about housing, in my mind it is the single most important consideration in housing any animal, I have seen hundreds of times at work how a few alterations to an animals enclosure can have massive effects,as an example, ten years ago we had a breeding pair of cassowary that never bred but after a change of scenery they bred within months. we are now literally over run with cassowaries.
I work at Paignton Zoo.
Keep us updated.
martinking6 Posted - 26/11/2011 : 22:59:22
Hiya

She is turning out to be extremely laid back 99% of the time now, she has little "hissy" moments every blue moon when she is exploring and I reroute her direction so to speak but nothing that worries me so far, just both of us learning about each other every time I handle her, she`s handled every day (apart from couple of days after feeding) 1 to 4 times throughout the day and passed on to anybody and everybody that wants to hold her without any issues and over the last few weeks I just have to open her viv and she comes out onto me by her own choice so fingers crossed ive got a good friendly, family giant in the making

Housing has to be very important as in my eyes a happy, healthy snake is a relaxed snake so I will always do as much as I can to keep all my animals happy

Gotta say though since starting my snake collection I truly believe in the saying "every days a school day"

Martin
Lionscar Posted - 26/11/2011 : 10:17:22
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by STICKS

Hi there Martin6 are you getting a bargain just asking there seems to a wide range on prices,Depend on were you are based some areas there going for £100 if i go down the road in essex £160++. Thats for an albino like your one.

Hiya sticks

Am paying £175 for whichever one chooses us as these snakes have been handled daily by trained professional handlers who use snakes for films, shows, etc so adopting a very tame and steady baby so in my eyes yes am getting a bargain , want this one to grow up with my youngest lad callum who has taken a real interest in snakes recently hence waiting and searching for the perfect snake

Martin

All beautiful animals and Im sorry to be the one who casts a shadow over your dreams but I have to say that just because they come from a reutable breeder and are well handled etc that has no real bearing on their temperament as adults, we have 3 Burms at our Zoo at present and we have had many others in the past and as with all animals they are as individual in their temperament as Humans, as they become 'teenagers' they invariably become more temperamental, one of our Burms is as aggressive as our big Retic whilst the other 2 are very placid, all 3 came from the same clutch and all 3 have totally different personalities, generally Burms are among the more placid of the 'big snakes' but you could still end up with a psycho even with regular handling.
Glad to see youre taking housing seriously though, I hate to see a 12 ft plus snake stuffed in a fish tank because 'thats the best the owner can do'
All the best with your snake, hope you get a nice chilled character.
mystra Posted - 28/09/2011 : 21:41:34
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

Daisy!

Although i love primrose....that is the perfect name for a girly burm!

Hector for a boy!

aww Hector is an awesome name, i could picture a nice boa called Hector... he'd have to have the proper boa mustache and everything... now you're giving me ideas!

Buttercup would be adorable too... especially with that colour!
sandi Posted - 28/09/2011 : 21:23:46
Daisy!

Although i love primrose....that is the perfect name for a girly burm!

Hector for a boy!
n/a Posted - 27/09/2011 : 17:10:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Thor

You would be if it bit you!

Buttercup!
Kelfezond Posted - 27/09/2011 : 16:52:53
Thor
mystra Posted - 27/09/2011 : 16:49:05
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Primrose!

awwwww yes, i can just picture a big soppy burm called Primrose!! :D
n/a Posted - 27/09/2011 : 16:36:44
Primrose!
martinking6 Posted - 27/09/2011 : 16:09:27
Hiya kelf

I can imagine it getting messy very quickly if left for a short while, gonna have to invent a poop burmese alarm me thinks lol

I can`t imagine ever giving one of my snakes a bubble bath lol, the more you watch the julius vids the more it makes you want one, roll on tomorrow I will get some pics of my burm before she is introduced to her viv

Next dilemma is thinking of a name

Martin
mystra Posted - 26/09/2011 : 22:06:32
lol if you watch the other videos of Julius (the one in the first vid) there's one where he gets a bubble bath LOL XD

i have now seen everything..and i'm besotted with Julius LOL

http://vimeo.com/891838
Kelfezond Posted - 26/09/2011 : 20:48:16
That pic was done over 1 night :P I know the person who took it.

You're a lucky man I wish I could get a burm now.
martinking6 Posted - 26/09/2011 : 20:31:47
Hiya kelf

If I let my vivs get like that burm one is then I think I should give up the hobby , looks like that burm has managed to get it all over it and then go explore and paint the viv lol

At B.A.T.S.

Am seriously tempted by the girl, av not a clue what to look for when it comes to markings/looks, etc but she does it for me lol and she is supposed to be an absolute sweetheart, trying not to make my mind up until I get there and handle them though, gonna need plenty of beer for sleeping time now though as excitement has kicked in big time lol

Martin
n/a Posted - 26/09/2011 : 16:52:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

This is the inside of a burmese cage. Enjoy!

What was it doing? Fingerpainting???

Which burm will you be getting, Martin?
mystra Posted - 26/09/2011 : 16:01:29
aww that first vid - sooooo cute!!!!! i love how she gets a nice tickle under the chin XD
Kelfezond Posted - 26/09/2011 : 15:04:24
This is the inside of a burmese cage. Enjoy!
martinking6 Posted - 26/09/2011 : 12:04:27
Am well excited its all confirmed now, pick the new snakey up on wednesday night

Martin
n/a Posted - 25/09/2011 : 12:15:52
LOL - LOVED that first vid! How cool - a Burmese alarm clock! Was it meant to demonstrate the gentleness of a burm or the teenage male's capacity for sleep lol?

That snake was gorgeous - like a gigantic version of my corn Saffron, both in looks and temperament ...Saffy is the most laid back snake ever.
martinking6 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 02:10:29
Hiya

I know that stats on the net, etc will say bigger than I am saying but from what ive seen whilst enquiring and learning about these in captivity is females anything up to 16ft and males around 12ft

Found this as a good example of a large very tame and steady female

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFatW4tsf4E&feature=related

And this as a really good comparison between the 2 sexes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAX0oNRIw_w

Hopefully if I can get wednesday off work I am going to pick up my burm fingers crossed

Martin

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000