The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 new pics of Captain Cuddles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 06/09/2012 : 13:58:46
I just thought I'd put up some new pics of CC, he's all happy now, no more mites (we don't think, we've checked him over but you can never be too sure) he's on 2 mice a week now, might start him on rats when the mice run out...dunno yet. He's gotten bigger and longer (he's up to 2 foot and weighs 250g)

He's not very happy here, he had mites and was trying to drown them in his water bowl after I took this pic I gave him a bath and cleaned him with some mite killer stuff I bought for him. My fiancé cleaned out his viv.

Just me and CC :) (please ignore my crappy hair)

Holly.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
markmifsud Posted - 05/10/2012 : 23:02:05
The mites will be one reason CC spends so long in the water
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 05/10/2012 : 13:17:49
ok, will have to chuck away the wooden hide and invest in a plastic one.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 04/10/2012 : 07:03:37
CC, every time you put the wood hide back in there, you are setting yourself back up for more mites. :( Though you might get rid of them temporarily with the boiling water, the few that remain on your snake will just plant more eggs on there and you'll be perpetuating their line. I truly believe that if you got rid of that hide altogether (at least until the mite infestation is completely gone), you will have a better (and quicker) success rate. As for the paper towels, a couple of things: one, it is easier to see if you still have the mites (as you'll notice them on the paper towels) and two, the mites can also lay their eggs on the substrate, so if you are changing out the paper towels daily, you'll be throwing potential newcomers into the garbage. ;) I had Aphrodite completely mite free in about two weeks by simply bathing her in the olive oil/water bath, removing any and all wood products, placing her on paper towels and changing them daily....and also bleach/water cleaning her tub daily. I also bathed her at least three times a week in the solution. You don't need much olive oil, a tablespoon or two in a small tub of water should suffice. The water will actually work well too, because mites can't swim and drown quickly. :)
coxcats Posted - 03/10/2012 : 22:09:45
For one thing it's easier to see the little buggers on it.
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 03/10/2012 : 18:48:57
When his viv is cleaned out we take out everything, his wooden log hide gets boiled in boiling water to kill the eggs etc.
Might try olive oil next time.
Why paper towel substrate?
Yes we use chemicals to the instructions provided.
coxcats Posted - 03/10/2012 : 09:37:21
I smothered him in it and left him in his carry box for a while. Then wiped most of it off. He is lovely and smooth! Suffocated the little er, things!
IncurableFlirt Posted - 03/10/2012 : 01:18:35
When I treated my albino BCI for mites, I used plain water and olive oil. Expect a crappy shed once or twice if you use it, though. As for your enclosure, take EVERYTHING out, invest in a couple of plastic hides, then bleach/water everything (except any wood...that would probably be best off being thrown away and replaced with new, as mites use the tiny porous surfaces of wood to lay eggs and it can be impossible to get rid of a mite infestation with it in the enclosure). Also, if you haven't already, put CC on a paper towel substrate. Clean his enclosure frequently with a bleach/water solution. Are you using any chemicals such as Prevent-A-Mite (PAM) or Mite Off? If so, be sure to follow all directions closely, since they can be toxic to the snake if done improperly. Best of luck with your guy! Hope the mites go bye-bye very soon!
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 02/10/2012 : 22:39:35
didn't think of that...do you think it'd be ok to use? he won't burn with the lamp will he?
coxcats Posted - 02/10/2012 : 20:11:02
use olive oil, worked for Boris. Although a slippery 42" snakey is a bit tricky!
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 02/10/2012 : 18:30:49
Thank you for all your lovely comments (CC is blushing :D)
The mites have not gone completely (although we're still treating his living space everytime we change the bark, I do him about once a month as directed) but it is under control.
It's official: I think I might need to use the bath instead of the sink now...I bathed him about a week ago in the sink and he nearly escaped!
He's too big for it now! Lol.
IncurableFlirt Posted - 12/09/2012 : 17:48:26
Lovely pics. :) Hope the mite medicine took care of those nasty buggars for you? I love Captain Cuddles' name, that is adorable. :) Thanks for sharing your pics!
Baobab Posted - 12/09/2012 : 14:50:21
Love the piccy of cc in his water bowl. I can hear him thinking about the jaws film "we're going to need a bigger bowl".
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 09/09/2012 : 18:31:08
Thanks hun x
matildasmum Posted - 09/09/2012 : 00:02:04
what a gorgeous boy you have there, x
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 07/09/2012 : 21:07:15
CC doesn't seem to mind water, when I give him a bath in our kitchen sink he seems a little sketched out at first but calms down after a minute or two. He loves swimming around and diving under the water,
but I don't think I'll be able to bathe him in the kitchen sink when he's older lol! I may have to use our bath!
coxcats Posted - 07/09/2012 : 17:03:40
Boris spends hours in his water bowl. Thinks he's a submarine!
jonnyc1988 Posted - 07/09/2012 : 13:40:48
Even if I mist my viv, Juju flees for cover, he cant stand it.
Captain_Cuddles Posted - 06/09/2012 : 23:47:40
CC loves water, he's my scaly waterbaby! ^_^
jonnyc1988 Posted - 06/09/2012 : 18:55:11
very nice royal, mine wont go near his waterbowl, cant bath him either. he just hates water.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 06/09/2012 : 14:36:11
great pics
i guess he likes his water bowl lol ;)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000