The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 42 year old Royal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nazzle Posted - 30/09/2009 : 22:19:57

Victoria's 42 years old! Tried to measure her today and she's just under 5 foot!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fjfenton Posted - 02/10/2009 : 22:08:07
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

I work at a field study centre in Doncaster. She came to the centre the year it opened (1973)and the woman who originally adopted her from a member of the local herp society who bred her still works here. We also have another snake (Elizabeth) who came to us as an adult in the early 80s and is still going strong too. They are both famous to schools in the local area, when we have parents/teachers fetching children to visit they often remember meeting Victoria when she was young.

She feeds VERY rarely now, but we know that she will feed when she wants. She tends to feed well for a month or so and then starve herself for ages. The only real difference between her and the younger snakes we have is that she loses more body condition around shedding time, but quickly beefs back up. I've known her for 7 years and in that time she hasn't grown at all.

She is doted on by everyone who works here and we are all terrified of losing her!

Ooh, Doncaster...thats not very far from me!
kashie Posted - 01/10/2009 : 21:28:52
That's so nice - especially the others waiting for her to go back before returning to the hide.....bless.
Hope mine all live long and happy lives too!
Nazzle Posted - 01/10/2009 : 20:30:41
Actually she's housed a bit differently than would be recommended now- but we daren't change anything. She hasn't ever bred, she shares her viv with two other Royals. Contrary to everything I've read they get stressed if they're not with each other. They share one wooden hide, although they have two others. If we are handling her neither of the other two will go back in until she does. Her substrate is astroturf and other than the hides she has a branch to climb on, essential as their preferred hide is high up. They are in a 4 by 3 viv (I'm guessing I'll have to measure it), about a quarter of which is taken up by a water tray on top of some rough bricks. We use two heat mats and a 100watt household light to heat the tank during the day and just the mats at night. She was originally fed live but was then weaned onto fresh kill gerbils which we breed ourselves, although occasionally we supplement with freeze-thaw rats. She will only strike feed and even then it takes patience.
dazb Posted - 01/10/2009 : 20:03:20
WOW..42..

How is she housed...? what does she weigh...? Has she ever bred...?

She must be one very happy royal to grow to that age...
lee2308 Posted - 01/10/2009 : 19:17:35
WOW,she looks massive.Very impressive
Blackecho Posted - 01/10/2009 : 15:06:30
I thought that was a Doncaster badge in the first pic

You're local to me, where exactly are you?
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 01/10/2009 : 13:10:46
That's really incredible. She's obviously a real credit to the dedicated people who love her and look after her. Nice that she's been in the same home for all those years and not moved around.
karl Posted - 01/10/2009 : 13:04:04
I only hope mine last that long
steve7046 Posted - 01/10/2009 : 12:43:09
What a great story, and a great Royal, thanks for sharing that with everyone.
wolfspirit Posted - 01/10/2009 : 12:41:19
quote:
Originally posted by kimitree

Awww, bless the old girl, still looking good though! Gorgeous

you talking about the snake or me..

she is beautiful though isnt she
kimitree Posted - 01/10/2009 : 12:15:38
Awww, bless the old girl, still looking good though! Gorgeous
wolfspirit Posted - 01/10/2009 : 11:33:18
well she is beautiful..

Piers and you guys up there could go see her maybe,....

that would be cool wouldnt it..

i hope she has a good few years in her yet...
Nazzle Posted - 01/10/2009 : 11:21:11
I work at a field study centre in Doncaster. She came to the centre the year it opened (1973)and the woman who originally adopted her from a member of the local herp society who bred her still works here. We also have another snake (Elizabeth) who came to us as an adult in the early 80s and is still going strong too. They are both famous to schools in the local area, when we have parents/teachers fetching children to visit they often remember meeting Victoria when she was young.

She feeds VERY rarely now, but we know that she will feed when she wants. She tends to feed well for a month or so and then starve herself for ages. The only real difference between her and the younger snakes we have is that she loses more body condition around shedding time, but quickly beefs back up. I've known her for 7 years and in that time she hasn't grown at all.

She is doted on by everyone who works here and we are all terrified of losing her!
sexychef Posted - 01/10/2009 : 11:21:00
42 thats gotto break some sort of record!!!!
Remmy Posted - 01/10/2009 : 10:42:29
Wow 42, looking good, shes a beauty
Blackecho Posted - 01/10/2009 : 07:28:20
Very nice. Out of interest (not because I don't believe it), but how do you know how old it is?

Whereabouts in the country are you?
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 01/10/2009 : 01:25:25
42?!
She looks in really good health.
spor Posted - 01/10/2009 : 00:52:18
very nice and doesn't look a day over 5.
Robert Posted - 30/09/2009 : 23:03:48
Wow !! she is a beauty :)
wolfspirit Posted - 30/09/2009 : 22:45:33
she is gorgeous, wish i looked as good as she does...

how long have you had her for?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000