The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 The difference between red bulbs and IR bulbs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 28/01/2011 : 19:49:36
I know there is a difference but I did not know what it was. Now I do.

Red bulb, produces white light and is filtered to only let red light pass through. Though white does escape mainly through the top.

Infra red bulb, produces white light and filters out all but infra red light. No white escapes.

And as you can clearly see with the two pictures there is a big difference. IR is a much softer light while been as bright (I would even say brighter) than red bulbs.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:39:34
Their eyes are not able to detect colour in the same way as ours, its to do with rods and cones, seem to remember that in biology lessons but wouldnt want to have to give a lecture on it! The white light given off by red bulbs is so obvious once you change from red bulb to infra red bulb.

Only trouble i found is that the heat is not quite as high as with a red bulb, but that could be because of the outside temp being lower in the past couple of days.
Lotabob Posted - 29/01/2011 : 14:46:18
I would say LED red lights would also be good pure red, with most of the white filtered out. Would make a pretty rubbish heat bulb though LOL.

They do see the infra red, as far as I know its how their heat pits work so even without considering their eyes they would see the heat. I think they are visually quite sensitive to white light so its not so much they can't see red its more they don't want to see white light. Well thats my take on it anyway.
Royalbob Posted - 29/01/2011 : 12:17:17
I set up a red led light in my nephews ball python rub. It doesn't disturb his one at all. She still comes out hunting around. Here's a link.
http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-27335-hagen-marina-led-coloured-individual-lights.aspx?CAWELAID=525519458
BlueDragon Posted - 29/01/2011 : 09:38:25
I've never liked red bulbs 'cause they make everything seem so un-natural... and scary! But those I.R. bulbs seem much softer. I was going to buy some moon lights for night time but didn't know if they would upset Tig, so I didn't.

People say that snakes aren't suposed to see infra-red, but does anyone really know if they can't? It doesn't seem to upset them, but could this not just be 'cause it's not a harsh sunlight-like light? I'm just curious 'cause my living room (the room Tig lives in) is quite dark 'cause the sun never quite reaches the window before going down. So I was wondering if I could have a light for nigh-time for Tig without freaking him out. That's what the moon light were going to be for, but wasn't sure if they'd be too bright?
reptiledanny Posted - 29/01/2011 : 08:30:36
Wow, you can reLy se the difference, like you seed, the ir bulb is a lot softer, and the colour seems a hit darker so as not to be disturbing everything in the room
Royalbob Posted - 29/01/2011 : 02:41:55
definitely I.R bulbs.
Lotabob Posted - 28/01/2011 : 20:31:56
Snakes aren't supposed to be able to see infra red so I would say Infra red is better as it can be left on 24 hours a day without disturbing the snake.
Kelfezond Posted - 28/01/2011 : 20:17:01
Which one is best for the snakey?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000