The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 Blitz first shower :D [Picture Heavy]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tawfik47 Posted - 31/03/2011 : 10:10:31
Blitz had his first shower yesterday , here's some pics of him and his set up.

his belly

Bright and shine :D

And here is the set up:

Heat Mat

Two hides

Two bulbs

A glass viv with slid lid

Here it's all together

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 06/04/2011 : 15:48:31
No he is not a pastel, he is a normal, and a beautiful normal at that!!
n/a Posted - 06/04/2011 : 15:13:19
I'm no expert - but with the shop charging the same price for normal and pastel, it may be that he's not of conventional pastel breeding but what is called normal 'high gold.' (My Shahi is the same, and very beautiful too.)

Did the shop tell you whether he was captive bred or captive farmed? If captive farmed, these are royals raised from wild python eggs harvested in Ghana and other areas of West Africa and the hatchlings exported for the pet trade. (This is what my Shahi is; I didn't fully understand about this trade until after I bought him, but he is a great snake.)

If Blitz was captive farmed and imported, he will not be a conventionally bred pastel, but he is still a most beautiful pet snake, and hatchlings raised as captive farmed have a wide variation in colouring; albinos, pieds and pastel lookalikes can occur.

Whatever he is, he's yours, and he's lovely!
Tawfik47 Posted - 06/04/2011 : 13:38:45
Is he a pastel royal python or not ?! ...
Lotabob Posted - 02/04/2011 : 23:02:16
They are a bit too big and clumsy to go about eating an egg though they are naturally oportunistic so it may be possible but I'd leave that to the egg eaters and just stick to rats. Chicks are supposed to make Royal poo stink something shocking.
Tawfik47 Posted - 02/04/2011 : 16:28:52
They were feeding him chicks, but since u told me mouses and rats are more useful to him i'm trying to get him used to them.
Anyway, he is just three days in his new viv, so i gonna wait till the week-end to try to feed him :)
n/a Posted - 02/04/2011 : 15:46:24
Hi, all I can see in the second pic are the natural black 'freckles' on Blitz's sides - these are normal royal markings.

Your room temp sounds fine - sorry I can't convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius off the top of my head but the usual norm for a royal's enclosure is 26c cold, 32c warm.

I've never heard of royals eating eggs - I've just consulted my royal python book, and it says that royals are designed by nature to constrict and eat rodent prey from birth. I believe some colubrids eat eggs, and of course there is that egg eating snake with the spur on its backbone that breaks the shell inside the snake, but not royals, I'm afraid. Pity, it would make feeding easier if there are no rats or mice available, but hamsters should do him nicely - has he been feeding on these in the shop?

Good luck with your first feed.
Tawfik47 Posted - 02/04/2011 : 15:14:51
Hope they won't appear again.
The ambient temp of th room is about 75-80 F, and it's about 95 F in the hide on hot side.
I just little bit worried about the black dots on the side of Blitz, you can see them in the second pic.
Do u have any idea what could they be? or if they will disapear when Blitz will shed ?
I have one more question in my mind, do royal pythons eat eggs ?
n/a Posted - 01/04/2011 : 22:06:11
Hi, I'm afraid you'll need to keep checking him for mites, as there may be eggs

What is the ambient temp of the room you have him in, and also the surface temp of the mat (although with these mats the temp goes up if something is placed on them, whether it's a book or a cat. But they are much much safer in my experience than usual rep heat mats.) If he stays in his cool end, sounds as if he's fine, and not needing to search for heat.

All the best.
Tawfik47 Posted - 01/04/2011 : 21:39:21
ahhh, and about mites, thanks god there was just two mites, i removed them and there's no more of them .i think Blitz is fine now :)
Tawfik47 Posted - 01/04/2011 : 21:37:13
Yes, They are for mammals, there is not heat mat for rep. in my country, so i had to use this one.
I'm ganna do something to cover the top and sides with polystyrene.
The strange thing is that i can't manage to raise the temp. in the viv, so i have 75 F in hot side and just 69 F in the cool side, which is approximately 21 C.
Although, my royal still prefere to be in the cool side most of time !
hodgie Posted - 31/03/2011 : 20:43:13
Good to see someone else making home made hides they may be alittle on the high side but still looking.
n/a Posted - 31/03/2011 : 17:34:30
Hi, he's lovely - how you doing with the mites?

Is that heat mat designed for cats and dogs? How hot does it get? If it is like the ones I've had experience of that were designed for mammals and only reaches moderate temps, then it ought to be safe for a royal. I had a similar one for my cats and it only stayed moderately warm, even with a pile of Siamese on it; there was no thermal blocking. The rep heat mats in the UK reach fierce temps and aren't safe at all for royals, even when statted, but although I'd still advise a stat, if that mat will reach 32c, you have your basking area for your royal without needing the lights. In fact I'd drape a towel over the tank or enclose the top and sides in polystyrene (royals love dimness and to be enclosed.) Only my opinion, mind - other people may have different ideas.

Amendment - only problem with any heat mat is that it may not be waterproof - and royals cannot be housetrained lol.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000