The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 Thoughts?...the vivs almost finished!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rox1e6 Posted - 09/05/2011 : 18:40:14
My sons finished building his viv. Just waiting for the toughened glass and the Habistat dimming thermostat then we can put the orchid bark in and turn the heater on to get it up to temperature ready for friday when he picks his spider morph up.

We realise the viv is rather large for a baby but we've packed it with hides, foliage and a monster branch! We've also left space to put the small rub in that we bring her home in just in case she feels overwhelmed to start with!

What sort of temperature should we set the thermostat to to start with? We have a 250w ceramic heater as the viv is 4x2x2..

Have we forgotten anything???

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
prozacbear Posted - 11/05/2011 : 07:19:13
The viv looks great that's going to be one lucky little snake
Rox1e6 Posted - 10/05/2011 : 18:34:52
Hiya and thank you...the branch was from a shop near Cambridge...I think it was expensive for a bit of wood lol (£65) but my lad loved it and it will last him a lifetime of keeping snakes I guess, well, thats how he justified the price to me anyway!!
STICKS Posted - 10/05/2011 : 17:50:26
Hi there that is a very nice job i like your branch how much was it and did you get it local i have found bits like that are very pricey
your snake will be well happy in there in fact if you put the rub in there at first and it being 4ft may last a very long time.D.
MrsA82 Posted - 09/05/2011 : 22:19:58
After seeing them blue I normal put the water bowl in the warm end and mist the sides of the rubs every night till they shed
normal 2 days after there eyes have gone back normal they shed
hodgie Posted - 09/05/2011 : 22:06:48
quote:
Originally posted by Rox1e6

...do you keep moss in there all the time or just when the snakes blue?

You dont need it as a permenant feature. If you put it in there as already stated and leave it it will get smelly, If it dries out it will actually lower humidity, I used a moss box a couple of times, now i just chuck in a wet flannel for a day or 2, its so much easier.
n/a Posted - 09/05/2011 : 21:05:55
Some people keep moss in all the time; some people don't; it's all down to personal preference, and some snakes need a bit more humidity, some don't ... erm, sorry to be so vague.

I used moss at first and it went all stinky on me. Now I just put the water bowl in the warm end once the snake is ready to shed (cleared from blue.) Some people like to put damp flannels on top of the warm hide at this time ... it really is what you prefer.
MrsA82 Posted - 09/05/2011 : 21:04:24
Don't think it works on here I maybe wrong

Email me
Chillerbass[at]live.co.uk

Replace the [at] with @
Just to stop spam bots and what not
:)
Rox1e6 Posted - 09/05/2011 : 20:58:53
MrsA82...I've sent you an email message

I have to say we bought the branch...we wanted to follow the instructions in the How-To on preparing a branch but I worried that I'd contaminate the tank somehow and get shouted at lol so figured this was already prepared and safer in the long run!

We've got a large hamster bendy wood/shelf thingy with a exo-terra medium hide underneath up the hot end so theres plenty of places to hide there and the cave I made at the cool end that we'll put moss in...oh another question...do you keep moss in there all the time or just when the snakes blue? Sorry for all the questions!
MrsA82 Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:41:35
That's one lovely viv your sons made there I'd love it
I'd love that bit f wood as well ;)

Bats is right a have 6 thermometers left lovely big screen to view the temp reading
I'm just asking £5 delivered
There's a pic of it in the equipment section

Edit: thanks Mark ;)
markmifsud Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:41:12
I was wrong, one of our own has a different brand at a very good price

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5693
markmifsud Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:39:52
Buy one of these, you wont find a better price, at least I couldnt.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Electronic-Digital-Reptile-Thermometer-PT2472-/370359945667?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item563b2c49c3#ht_2175wt_869
sandi Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:32:03
The digital aquarium type thermometers are fine, i use the ones that can be switched from C to F. Im old school but try to do centigrade on occasions!

Love your viv, good job and thats a very nice tree you felled!
hodgie Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:29:11
Thats a gorgeous looking setup, it wont do any harm to have 2 hides at each end if you can.
n/a Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:18:29
Ah, I know nothing about thermometers. When I first started I obediently used those horrible adhesive strips, then saw the light and bought an infra-red temp gun. (This was an extravagance but now, with 11 snakes, it pays for itself.)

I believe the best thermometers are the digital sort - there will be someone along soon who can advise.

Ah - and I believe Mrs A82 has some for sale on the classifieds.
Lotabob Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:14:54
That is a cracking looking viv, my Boa would have a field day. Its already been said its too big so I'll not bother adding to that bit. Temp wise, aim for a hot spot of 32oC and then ambient should fall into line at around 24-26oC with the doors shut without doing anything much (it can take a little while to get up to temperature).

Where did your son get that branch? Or should I say who's tree did he cut down for that branch? Its really nicely done, everything is just amazing looking.
stumpy Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:12:02
brilliant job on the viv, love the branch, good luck, roll on Friday, cant wait to see photos

Rox1e6 Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:11:53
Oh thank you thats so kind Lilith! My sons worked so hard on the viv and I've made the fake cave on the cool side to save money on all the stuff we've bought! A THERMOMETER! We havent bought a thermometer!! What sort do you recommend? Ebay loves me this last couple of weeks!!
n/a Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:07:37
That is one of the most beautiful setups I've seen!

It IS on the large side for your royal - but they're all different, and there is so much cover that any snake would find a place where it felt safe, which is what matters after all.

As you probably know already, ideal temps are 32c warm end, 26c cool - and you probably know that you may have to tweak the stat a few times and go by what the thermometer says, not the stat ... Dratted stats drift anyway; have to tweak mine all the time ...

A lovely lovely setup.
Rox1e6 Posted - 09/05/2011 : 19:06:39
The guy we're buying it off said to feed her in a tub so thats what we'll do to start with. TBH we're really worried about the size of it after reading all the info on here but he'd built the carcass before I found this site so if the worse comes to the worse and she hates it we'll put her in a large rub and buy another Kingsnake to enjoy the viv! Our king that died would've loved this tank! Its just S*ds Law that my son fell in love with the only snake that we've since found out hates space!! lol
reptiledanny Posted - 09/05/2011 : 18:52:14
wow i love that branch, looks really nice, although a 4x2x2 is absolutly huge for a baby royal. i would just be prepared for it to not eat, if it does then great, if not then it is most likely becuase of the size of the cage

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000