The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 first royal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 20/08/2011 : 17:57:12
hey all i have just rescued/bought a royal from my local garden center
sold my laptop to buy him! saw him yesterday an had to have him.
not sure on sex. they said hes a year old but not sure, hes about 1-1 1/2ft very alert an in very good condition

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 23/08/2011 : 11:15:44
have decided to call him frank
frambo Posted - 22/08/2011 : 13:39:37
Not hundered percent sure but I think she's probably about 7 weeks. Will find out for sure. But IIRC they were pretty young.
chrisc Posted - 22/08/2011 : 11:55:24
thanks. do you know what month yours was born?
frambo Posted - 22/08/2011 : 11:21:25
Absolutely Gorgeous. Though yours is similar in size to mine and she's a CB11 hatchling so probably not a year old.

n/a Posted - 21/08/2011 : 14:26:23
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

or else getting mixed up with rodent sizes for corns

Corns and slender bodied snakes seem to follow this rule but Royals, and Boa's etc follow the 1X rule. I'll let you off for previous good behaviour.

LOL Bob - you always cheer me up!
Lotabob Posted - 21/08/2011 : 13:31:08
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

or else getting mixed up with rodent sizes for corns

Corns and slender bodied snakes seem to follow this rule but Royals, and Boa's etc follow the 1X rule. I'll let you off for previous good behaviour.
n/a Posted - 21/08/2011 : 12:21:21
He'll get there - last Nov I got Saada secondhand, cf09, and while her owner had clearly done his best for her (going to uni where she wasn't allowed, hence the sale) he'd followed the feeding advice of the pet supermarket that sold her. She was 300g when I got her (smashing little feeder though) and, after feeding her according to guidelines of this forum, she's now over double that weight, despite a long long fast.

Congrats again on him and hope he starts pounding down those rats!
chrisc Posted - 21/08/2011 : 11:59:17
just quickly weighed him an hes just over 100g
n/a Posted - 21/08/2011 : 11:24:09
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Its only 1 times the girth for a Royal not 1.5 times, 1.5 times would be too big as they are big bodied (plus I dont know where to buy frozen Labradors for Duke lol). The 10-15% of bodyweight is another good way to decide on prey size, I've also nboticed that the size rule and weight rule seem to work perfectly together, Dukes rats are always 10-15% of his body weight (give or take a few grams here and there) and also are 1 times his girth.

Oops Bob - never knew that! Sure I've read it loads of times ...or else getting mixed up with rodent sizes for corns...

LOL that Duke will be on capybaras before he's done ...

BlueDragon Posted - 21/08/2011 : 10:28:23
Congrats on the rescue. He's a lovely looking little Royal : )

I agree, he can't possably be a year old, surely??? But as BATS said, they do sometimes under-feed to save money and also to keeo them small and 'cuter' for customers. It's such a shame. But I still can't see him being a year old, even if that has been the case. Maybe some moron thinks every new Snake there is the same one and has done for a year! Seriously though, it wouldn't suprize me if it was true... idiots.

Anyways, he's a lovley little lad (lass?) and I'm sure he'll be a big, long, fat sausage in no time X )
Lotabob Posted - 20/08/2011 : 20:37:07
Its only 1 times the girth for a Royal not 1.5 times, 1.5 times would be too big as they are big bodied (plus I dont know where to buy frozen Labradors for Duke lol). The 10-15% of bodyweight is another good way to decide on prey size, I've also nboticed that the size rule and weight rule seem to work perfectly together, Dukes rats are always 10-15% of his body weight (give or take a few grams here and there) and also are 1 times his girth.
chrisc Posted - 20/08/2011 : 20:33:38
there was no way i was waiting till payday on thurs incase someone else got there before me
boomslang Posted - 20/08/2011 : 20:29:48
quote:
Originally posted by chrisc

£50. will buy my laptop back on thursday so all good

Thats good then,and he looks great :)
n/a Posted - 20/08/2011 : 20:26:02
£50 well spent imo! Poor little guy - I bet he thinks he's in heaven!

Yeah - one and a half times the girth or 15% of the bodyweight.

All the best with him - yay!!
chrisc Posted - 20/08/2011 : 20:17:41
£50. will buy my laptop back on thursday so all good
boomslang Posted - 20/08/2011 : 20:05:26
Yeah,one year is unlikely,How much did you pay for him,if you had to sell a laptop?
chrisc Posted - 20/08/2011 : 19:48:16
really crickets thats moronic. he was in a viv on the floor with people/kids stomping past. guessing hes wondering where all the vibrations have gone.
i keep feeding records with my corn and rat snakes so will add weight to the records.
does the ruff rule of food no bigger the 1.5x the thickest part apply to royals?
Lotabob Posted - 20/08/2011 : 19:40:10
Ahh I see, A rat pup and mouse fuzzy are about the same size, I would say a rat pup every 7 days to start with, if its a keen feeder maybe bump it to every 6 days until you get a bit of weight onto him. Start as you mean to go on though, try rats for a good few weeks, allow for the move to have unsettled him too, it took 3 weeks for Duke to start eating, they can go a long time without food so dont think any refusals are purely a rat repulsion issue. Weight records will be very beneficial for you to start keeping, remember they hold onto their poop so weighing just after they have been to the toilet is better. You'll find as you get more into snakes (it will happen) that lots of places sell snakes without the foggiest what they are doing. I heard a story of one snake been fed crickets, mental.

Congrats on the new addition.
chrisc Posted - 20/08/2011 : 19:31:09
yea i was thinking only a few months old. not sure of weight, will weigh him after hes settled in.
no records on feeding or anything. going to get some rats an a couple of fuzzys incase he wont go for a rat. i take it rat pups an fuzzys are similar size?
i say rescue as the garden center is like p@h they sell furry animals an get reptiles in an dont seem very clued up at all. did not ask me for my name or anything just let me take it to the till in the pillow case i took with me
n/a Posted - 20/08/2011 : 19:15:11
He is small for a year - my Shahi is 15 months approx and 900g - there again some shops will tell you anything/don't even know. So he could well be younger.

The main thing is, you've got him now and good on yer!

Have they given you any info on feeding? Would be a good idea to get him started on rats, but in the circs, as long as he'll eat, that's a good start. Some shops underfeed snakes just to save on costs.

All the best with him - it may just be that a loving home and tlc will bring him on in leaps and bounds!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000