The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 franks new home

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 25/08/2011 : 21:04:40

he seem to like it is up climbing on the sticks at the mo
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 30/08/2011 : 18:31:33
wow some nice snakes, really like the pine snake and the cincuate bull snake but think we have a winner with the black pine snake they are stunning
n/a Posted - 30/08/2011 : 17:36:59
Just off the top of my head - gopher, Sonoran gopher (which is smaller than usual gopher; shop told me Ziska could achieve 8/9 ft) Bull snake, and Pine snake, which again is pretty similar to gophers and bulls, but the pine has a nice dainty little habit of anal popping. In other words, it farts at you ...

Oh, and just a few more ...

http://www.kingsnake.com/pituophis/

and this link's better ...

http://www.freewebs.com/slitherbriggs/

chrisc Posted - 30/08/2011 : 16:52:42
jeff has only tagged me twice that was when i last held him not realising he was going into blue apart from that hes just very very jumpy. what other types of pit's are there?
n/a Posted - 30/08/2011 : 16:44:36
Aww bless him - yes, the rats do get a bit out of hand without handling - met one last week - he gave me a little nip just to show he could, but I drew the line at musking - back in his viv just in time! If you enjoy the feisty ones, pits are definitely your kind of snake!
chrisc Posted - 30/08/2011 : 16:21:18
a bull or a gopher are on the list of possible snakes in the future along with MBK'S, CRB'S an BRB'S. want something feisty and interesting although my baird's rat snake is a feisty little git at times, previous owner nursed him back to health after he was found in a flat but never handled him so needs taming down
n/a Posted - 30/08/2011 : 14:04:09
Thanks.

The bull snake's hissing - they sound just like steam trains - and gophers, and I'm assuming bulls too, rattle their tails as well; the noise is amazing. I ought to have pointed out that 'angry hissing snake' isn't a good description imo. To my mind it's just how they are; Ziska will respond 'angrily' to food, even to the sight of me; it's almost like she's 'recognising' me ...(maybe getting a little sentimental there lol!) The first time I picked her up she exhaled so fast that it sounded like a loud sneeze, and her tail rattled against my hand ...you sort of get used to that as pit conversation. It's as if they're using that behaviour to feel more secure and just remind you of their dignity ... Then she'll go to sleep on my shoulder and lose all her tenseness. I adore these snakes.
chrisc Posted - 30/08/2011 : 12:47:12
ziska's markings are lovely. is that noise from the bull snake it hissing or its tail? looks cool tho
n/a Posted - 30/08/2011 : 11:03:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPXpYMnC48&feature=related

This is a bull snake, doing what comes naturally to pits. Gophers and bulls look very similar; Ziska's markings are darker and the 'teardrop' markings below her eyes are more pronounced - but the behaviour is just the same! Enjoy!
n/a Posted - 30/08/2011 : 10:55:10
LOL - it's because she's mega-fierce - or thinks she is! In the wild, gophers try to deter predators by putting on the same display as a rattlesnake (which, sadly, leads to a lot of gophers being killed by ignorant humans in mistake for rattlers.) In the gophers' case, it's all bluff; she inflates herself and hisses and rattles and carries on alarming, and you can just pick her up; she strikes but scarcely hurts. Makes life interesting! In her viv she needs deep aspen to make herself a network of hideout tunnels. I've been thinking of making her a camouflage hide and buying her a plastic tank to make her feel at home lol.

Bull snakes are much the same and belong to the same genus, pituophis (otherwise known as the 'pits' lol.)

Over on 'other reptile photos' there are some pics of Ziska and some really superb pics of Figs' bull snake, Tex. These are gorgeous snakes, but not if you want a quiet life!
chrisc Posted - 29/08/2011 : 21:57:16
ha ha yea. "oi mate yurn it up a bit"
bats, why does it say (tank girl!) in your sig about your gopher snake?
Royalbob Posted - 29/08/2011 : 21:49:07
looks great. he's even making sure the settings are right for him lol
n/a Posted - 29/08/2011 : 21:46:18
Lol- despite their reputation as burrow-dwellers, they do love to climb - I call Shahi 'his royal highness' as he'd be lost without his climbing branch.
chrisc Posted - 29/08/2011 : 21:43:31
dont think hes worked out hes a royal yet. love watching him climbing around on the sticks
n/a Posted - 29/08/2011 : 21:38:14
Ooo, he's a GTP - great tree python!

Lovely Frank and pics!
chrisc Posted - 29/08/2011 : 21:35:20
heres a few more pics of frank enjoying his new home

Tawfik47 Posted - 26/08/2011 : 13:36:19
nice new set up
Royalbob Posted - 26/08/2011 : 02:12:31
looking good
chrisc Posted - 25/08/2011 : 21:44:29
thanks, he aint come down from the sticks since i put him in there
n/a Posted - 25/08/2011 : 21:37:13
Great pics - he looks as if he's saying, 'awesome!' And so he should, nice setup!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000