The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 No Thermostat - NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Blackecho Posted - 20/02/2009 : 23:51:48
Below is a picture of what can happen if an uncontrolled heatmat overheats. Not pretty.

16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
james200789 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 02:24:08
Thanks for this BE im glad people know the consequences of negligence a mat stat is a must i run a mat stat with a separate digi thermometer on it to make sure the mat stat is keeping at the right temp.
lee2308 Posted - 10/01/2010 : 21:00:31
quote:
Originally posted by brookehamiltonx

this sounds really stupid- but does anybody have the link to where you could get a stat from.. and what exactly is it :$ i'm so worried now, Cleo's been in her viv for over 3 months without a stat.. theres no apparent signs of burns or anything, but obviously it could happen in the future, maybe i do have a stat - i did get given a complete setup :/ x

does your mat plug straight into the wall or a lead that goes to a box with a dial on it?A thermostat controls the heat by making it switch off once the ideal temps are met and then back on when it cools.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Microclimate-Ministat-100-On-Off-Thermostat-Reptile_W0QQitemZ330376375104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item4cebf76b40
spor Posted - 10/01/2010 : 20:58:49
you can get mat stats in most reptile stores and ebay etc and many on line stores. its not hard to find them.. not that expensive
http://www.cornishcrispa.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=304_51&products_id=336 . you should both really get one as just keeping and eye on temps is not safe enough. as for substrate being moved of mat. you can put down a piece of lino or slate over the heat mat to stop the snake coming in direct contact with the mat.
howie Posted - 10/01/2010 : 20:15:09
killer just moves the sub out off the way and lays on heat mat direct???
howie Posted - 10/01/2010 : 20:13:36
my heat mat just plugged in i think i should keep it regulated after seeing that what do you recommend
brookehamiltonx Posted - 10/01/2010 : 01:44:02
this sounds really stupid- but does anybody have the link to where you could get a stat from.. and what exactly is it :$ i'm so worried now, Cleo's been in her viv for over 3 months without a stat.. theres no apparent signs of burns or anything, but obviously it could happen in the future, maybe i do have a stat - i did get given a complete setup :/ x
wolfspirit Posted - 10/05/2009 : 13:57:27
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

this photo would be good in the common ailments thingy i did, could some add it instead of the photo i used, think it is much better..

Done, but I havent resized it.

its ok, thanks for that;-)
matty18714 Posted - 10/05/2009 : 12:44:17
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

this photo would be good in the common ailments thingy i did, could some add it instead of the photo i used, think it is much better..

Done, but I havent resized it.
wolfspirit Posted - 10/05/2009 : 12:25:14
wolfspirit Posted - 25/02/2009 : 21:26:46
I checked one of my heat mats today just out of interest and it is only a 7w temp reached unstatted after ten minutes was 110...

So dont take the risk of having a mat without a stat.
matty18714 Posted - 25/02/2009 : 18:38:05
Yes because its not limited to the temperature the snake needs.
Ben Posted - 25/02/2009 : 18:05:37
it only has a 3 amp/watt fuse, so how can it over heat?
anatess Posted - 24/02/2009 : 04:31:50
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:
Originally posted by anatess

Hah! I don't have a thermostat!

I have a rheostat though. The zoomed UTH maxes out at 115F. With a constant 78F room temperature, the rheostat set to max, and a 1 inch thick substrate, I get a 92-94 inside the hot hide. I have a glass tank with a screen top, so it doesn't become an oven in the viv. And no, he can't burrow under the substrate because the hide has a bottom. It's that exo-terra cave thing. So, I put a 1 inch layer of substrate, put the hide bottom on top of it, put the thermo probe on the floor of the hide, then cover with another layer of substrate before putting the top on. The bottom of the hide is at 94, on top is 92. I dim the rheostat if I use the ceramic heat lamp to raise ambient temps. But then, the snakeys are in my office, so I'm always glancing at the temps all day long.

Rheostats are ok, but need constant checking and adjusting as outside temps change.

Yeah. I REALLY need a t-stat, though. I was trying to save up for a Helix but I think I'm just going to go ahead and get the 500R. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and it is much better than that rheostat.
Blackecho Posted - 23/02/2009 : 18:05:34
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

Hah! I don't have a thermostat!

I have a rheostat though. The zoomed UTH maxes out at 115F. With a constant 78F room temperature, the rheostat set to max, and a 1 inch thick substrate, I get a 92-94 inside the hot hide. I have a glass tank with a screen top, so it doesn't become an oven in the viv. And no, he can't burrow under the substrate because the hide has a bottom. It's that exo-terra cave thing. So, I put a 1 inch layer of substrate, put the hide bottom on top of it, put the thermo probe on the floor of the hide, then cover with another layer of substrate before putting the top on. The bottom of the hide is at 94, on top is 92. I dim the rheostat if I use the ceramic heat lamp to raise ambient temps. But then, the snakeys are in my office, so I'm always glancing at the temps all day long.

Rheostats are ok, but need constant checking and adjusting as outside temps change.
matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2009 : 17:35:23
Yep, that needs a stat.
Ben Posted - 23/02/2009 : 15:59:52
i have a http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heat_wave_desert.php
does that need a thermostat

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000