The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Videos
 Not for the squeamish

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Royalbob Posted - 06/02/2011 : 20:35:53
Ralph davis stitches a hatchling back up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUUJylvRHE&feature=feedu

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 08/02/2011 : 09:18:11
Part 2 now uploaded. "Ralph Davis (stitches pt 2)" in this section. I for one am amazed at the way this snake has healed up. He also explains things that were missed on the filming.
Lotabob Posted - 07/02/2011 : 21:19:04
I watched it yesterday and wasn't sure whether it was shown as a 'look what they can do' or a 'holy cow what is he doing' type video but I was disgusted that he performed such a important vetinary procedure with all the care and precison of a drunk butcher. No matter how tough and quick healing any animal is, pain relief, sterilisation and actual surgical tools is surely a must have if your going to even attempt a surgical procedure like that. There is no way that stitch did anything but hold it together like a stitched up pocket, the hatchling wasn't wounded it was born with a hole there, he didn't prep the hole with 2 open edges to stitch together so there would have been no connection that could bind together as it heals.

And like you say thats not even taking into account the legal side of performing a procedure like that without vetinary training/qualifications.
n/a Posted - 07/02/2011 : 18:21:49
True. That aspect hadn't occurred to me, although legislation may be different in the states, of course.

I suppose the main thing is that the snake recovered. And a lot of breeders would have disposed of the little guy. Although it's to be hoped that it's not going to be used in a breeding programme - hernia, unless clearly caused by injury, can be hereditary, in mammals at any rate.

I've got a strong stomach and I've had to do all sorts for my animals (under veterinary guidance of course) but I'm still feeling a bit queasy, have to admit.
blackskull Posted - 07/02/2011 : 17:57:09
according to the better half if you did that in the uk and advertised the fact you could get prossicuted as its an act of vet surgery
BlueDragon Posted - 07/02/2011 : 11:10:09
Poor baby : (

I agree that a little more sanitation and pain releif couldn't have gone a miss, but lets face it, the quicker it's done the better, right?

I didn't realize this happnened in snakes, so that's my lesson learn for today.
hodgie Posted - 07/02/2011 : 09:41:28
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Bothers me about what do some of the big breeders gloss over though ...??

He`s no different than a cattle or sheep farmer, for us its a hobby, for him its business, evey animal has to survive to pay its way, same as any farmer in this country.
Kelfezond Posted - 07/02/2011 : 09:40:41
*sulks and goes to stand in the girls corner*

Couldn't watch it, can't stand insides of things. But my girlfriend assures me it was "eeewww"
hodgie Posted - 07/02/2011 : 09:37:26
Well, i was stunned at first watching that. As many of the youtube comments stated "no gloves, cotton and needle etc.
However i do know that reptiles have very different healing abilities to mammals. I will be waiting to see an updated video of the little guys full recovery though.
n/a Posted - 07/02/2011 : 09:22:25
Oh, right, I scarcely knew who he was, I admit, and just googled one site on him and got all this hype-type stuff, which shocked me in contrast to the vid with the snake because I'd thought he was a guy just having to do some kind of emergency procedure without veterinary help. (Yeah - know I'm dead ignorant of all the big names!)

I agree he obviously knew what he was doing - he'd have to! and I'm glad he saved the snake.

Bothers me about what do some of the big breeders gloss over though ...??
Royalbob Posted - 07/02/2011 : 00:47:59
Well i still take him very seriously bats, i'm not a vet so maybe doing the procedure like that was best for the snakes chances of survival i don't know. Maybe a reason anesthetic wasn't used.
Still think a pair of gloves wouldn't of gone a miss. I do appreciate his video's as he shows what a lot of other big time breeders mask over.
n/a Posted - 06/02/2011 : 23:23:46
Well thank goodness the snake DID recover!

Yes, at first I thought it was probably better to perform 'emergency surgery'

Then I thought, yeah, but VIDEO?

Then I googled, and the guy's got all these gimmicks set up but he can't rush that snake to a vet? In the USA??

I'm dead embarrassed I took this guy seriously ...

Royalbob Posted - 06/02/2011 : 23:12:35
Mmm thought it was an interesting post as a small time hobiest with 1 or a few snakes would have rushed the snake to a vet. Yet he stitches the snake together like a button on a jumper. Dirty hands poking the snakes insides back in and then just putting it back in the rub with the others. I was shocked and at the same time amazed at what these snakes can bounce back from as he goes on to say the snake in question makes a full recovery.
n/a Posted - 06/02/2011 : 22:34:55
Umm, at first I took this seriously and thought it was maybe first aid, though with reservations (ie should have been more sanitary/anaesthetic for snake/isolation of snake - all snakes!!) as I said in first post, but having googled ralph davis, don't like what I see.
blackskull Posted - 06/02/2011 : 21:38:56
not something to watch when u have a vet nurse sat next to u

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000