The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 At Last.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rustyp1974 Posted - 27/04/2014 : 11:07:57
Neither of my Royals have fed for the last eight weeks. I know its not a long fast as some fasts go but always a frustration.

I took the decision to leave both of them well alone for two weeks only going in for spot cleaning/water changing & a quick health check. I didn't even offer any food at all. All temps & viv conditions stayed the same with both snakes hidden away in the cool end. Neither snake lost any weight.

Yesterday I decided that I would attempt a feed. I defrosted a couple of rats in a tub on top of the warm end of the viv. Last night I dropped a thermometer into the tub & got a reading of 34°C, so only a quick blast of the hair drier required. Whilst doing this both snakes shot out of hiding & were at the glass. Needless to say both strike fed & smashed down the rats. Very unusual for my Fire/pin that's always a drop feeder.
So was this down to the fact I broke the feeding cycle or just pure luck? One for thought I guess.

Everybody lived happily ever after.
The end.

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
coxcats Posted - 29/04/2014 : 09:26:33
Well, Boris ate!!! He struck so quickly and chomped down the multi. Ria wasn't interested in hers at all :( Sas was offered a rat and usually he takes it off whatever I lay it on. Not this time! He struck so hard I nearly has a heart attack! He ended up in his water bowl coiled round the rat! I tried to help him out as his head was under the water but he just coiled tighter. I could hear the rat bones crunching! I managed to push him over the side and then left him too it.
So a fairly successful feed. A strike from my lazy boy and a multi for Boris.
Alves76 Posted - 28/04/2014 : 19:16:00
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

You`ll learn over the coming years that there`s no normal routine when it comes to Royals, just when you think you`ve got them figured out they will always catch you out.

I think this quote is something I'll remember for many years.
coxcats Posted - 28/04/2014 : 12:42:16
Thank you. Im defrosting them now lol
rustyp1974 Posted - 28/04/2014 : 10:48:54
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

You`ll learn over the coming years that there`s no normal routine when it comes to Royals, just when you think you`ve got them figured out they will always catch you out.

Yeh kind of guessed that might be the case. If only they would feed like my carpet does

Good luck coxcats
coxcats Posted - 28/04/2014 : 09:32:48
Im attempting to break my two's 6 months fast tonight with some multis. Fingers crossed!
hodgie Posted - 28/04/2014 : 09:06:16
rustyp1974 Posted - 27/04/2014 : 19:54:34
quote:
Originally posted by Alves76

Glad they fed. I think having the rats heated through may have helped.

The Rats are always warmed as close to "live" temperature as possible (37.5°C-38.5°c). I always check with a thermometer before feeding so I know if they are to cold/hot.
I think Hodgie might be right in saying that making them hold on for a couple of weeks might of done it. Not by starving them but by breaking the normal routine & feeding cycle.

hodgie Posted - 27/04/2014 : 18:51:05
Probably due to the fact you made them wait a couple of weeks and thats built up their appetite.
Well done anyway
Alves76 Posted - 27/04/2014 : 18:24:12
Glad they fed. I think having the rats heated through may have helped.
Redware Posted - 27/04/2014 : 13:54:20
Umm glad they fed for you!
Baobab Posted - 27/04/2014 : 12:40:02
Great to hear that they ate. If only we could read their minds.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000