The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 No future!? :-<

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bengy_s Posted - 03/02/2010 : 13:53:19
Hi everyone.

Now I've been settled for a couple of weeks in my (and girlfriend's) new house, I thought it'd be a good time to suggest to Hayley if we could get another royal. (after my sad experience with Chester).

Unfortunately, as Chester showed severe neurological symptoms and one of them was striking at ANYTHING in his viv for hours at a time, Hayley considers (unfairly) that royals are aggressive. This wasn't helped when we went to Jurassic Reps and one member of staff took out a (guess) 1 year old royal so I could show Hayley they are not all the same. Anyway before I could hold it, as the staff member went to pass him over to me, the little bugger struck at my face, and JUST missed!

I later learned from Ryan that particular royal used to be really friendly (it was his OH's for a while until she decided to sell it in the shop) until it escaped, now it is very defensive.

Anyway, my point is I would still love to have another royal, in addition to my corn which I've kept for over 11 years. How do I convince Hayley not every Royal is the same? Perhaps as Chester was 2 years old and Jurassic's 1 year, maybe to take a look at a hatchling and go from there?

Incidentally, Hayley loved my corn, LegLess, and although she wouldn't hold it herself, she has touched it a few times.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bengy_s Posted - 06/02/2010 : 00:39:14
Thanks Rach, have emailed you a copy of the report. Please check there should be 4 pages- it did say it sent sucessfully but you know what emails can be like with attachments.

Thanks so much.
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:48:02
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO READ A PATHOLOGIST'S REPORT (I.E. ALL THE TERMINOLOGY)? OR KNOW ANYONE THAT CAN? I WANT TO CONFIRM A COUPLE OF THINGS WITH SOMEONE INDEPENDANT. IF SO CAN YOU REPLY TO THIS AND EMAIL ME AT: bensartin@aol.com .

Have e-mailed you
bengy_s Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:07:29
Thanks Welly. I spoke to Hayley, she said I got to wait until after my operation as I will be out of action for 2 months and proper bed bound for at least 3 or 4 weeks during that time & she wouldn't feed him/her. but after that she is happy to consider it after witnessing they aren't all spoiling for a scrap! So please keep offer open!?! (Op around end March-April)

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO READ A PATHOLOGIST'S REPORT (I.E. ALL THE TERMINOLOGY)? OR KNOW ANYONE THAT CAN? I WANT TO CONFIRM A COUPLE OF THINGS WITH SOMEONE INDEPENDANT. IF SO CAN YOU REPLY TO THIS AND EMAIL ME AT: bensartin@aol.com .
Welly Posted - 05/02/2010 : 16:20:16
lol, Im real Dundry.

I forgot to mention both Blagdon and Cadbury have Royals in at the moment too
lee2308 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 10:53:45
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

Dundry, She's only just ate yesterday so will be a few days

upper hartcliffe then
Welly Posted - 05/02/2010 : 09:49:24
Dundry, She's only just ate yesterday so will be a few days
bengy_s Posted - 05/02/2010 : 09:09:15
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

Im Bristol based. Mines only 6 months or so but has't struck anything but mice. Would that help?

Yeah could be a plan

Cheers. I'll ask her tonight when she comes back from work. What area are you?
Welly Posted - 04/02/2010 : 21:09:46
Im Bristol based. Mines only 6 months or so but has't struck anything but mice. Would that help?
bengy_s Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:36:07
Clevedon, near Bristol.

Flowers and chocolates; heard a joke about that once;

My sister was very depressed as she was diagnosed with 2 ilnesses, chronic hayfever and diabetes. So I went to her house and to cheer her up I bought her a bunch of flowers and some chocolates!

Yeah I will see if she'll come back with me to a store where the royals are maybe kept more secluded. Or just buy one behind her back and see what happens!
STICKS Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:10:22
Hi there me again where are you in the uk may be you could have a visit to one of us im sure we would not mind ??? see ya.
STICKS Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:05:52
Hi there flowers and choc,s mite help ??? but i think you may of had some bad luck like the others on hear will agree that,s only two try some where that has a good rep evern if you have to travel a bit.Good luck.
bengy_s Posted - 04/02/2010 : 01:13:54
Thanks for the pointers guys.... especially you Piers!

I'll try what sexychef and automaticflowers said regarding hatchlings and all your other suggestions about the abnormal circumstances around the only 2 royals Hayley's seen.

I don't blaim her though, I think most people who don't understand the snake keeper's interest (and the snakes themselves) would be reserved if they saw 2/2 snakes strike.

Hopefully the effort I know I'll need to put in will be worth it in the end.

In the meantime any other ideas welcome and I will keep you posted on my progress!
lee2308 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 15:44:25
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

It sounds like Hayley has to go.....

lol
Blackecho Posted - 03/02/2010 : 15:24:27
It sounds like Hayley has to go.....
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 03/02/2010 : 15:14:53
I have to agree with Lee... explain to her that both of those royals were defensive due to extenuating circumstances. I can understand her apprehension, but it's a little unreasonable to assume that all royals are aggressive when the only two she's ever met have had very good reasons to behave the way they did.
As has been said, hatchlings can be a little hissy and food-oriented (which sometimes causes 'interest' in your hands!) but if you go to a breeder and have a few to choose from you can handle several to gauge which ones are the most flinchy/jumpy and pick one that seems less bothered by being handled.
pfleming Posted - 03/02/2010 : 15:05:56
maybe go through some websites with her?
most sites ive read all say royals are very docile, rarely bite and are great begginger snakes.

my young snake is agressive a bit, i think the best option would be if someone is selling a royal that has been in a loving home and is known to be very friendly. - i might be wrong though.

good luck, and i hope she sees that you've had two very bad experiences, which are not representitive of this species of snakes.
lee2308 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 15:03:32
i would just explain that both snakes had exceptions,1,one was ill and the other had gone wild for a while and was exsposed in a shop environment and not given alot of peace,i have had monty just over a year now and NEVER had any form of aggression from him.
sexychef Posted - 03/02/2010 : 14:05:58
baby royals can be hissy when handled. any one near you with a royal thats not in a shop enviroment.
bengy_s Posted - 03/02/2010 : 13:54:55
It didn't censor bugger!

Oh and added to that Chester did tag my arm once too:

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt8/bengy_s/Royalpythonbite.jpg

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000