The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Clueless!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nok1888 Posted - 24/09/2010 : 12:58:18
Saw an advert somewhere last night, this person wants someone to take his Royal python because it has a bit of an attitude so he can start again with a Burmese! if he cant handle a Royal how can he even begin to think he can handle a Burmese. you've got to wonder about some people.

Just checked the ad again and its away, lets hope he's changed his mind and not a step closer to the Burm
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anatess Posted - 30/09/2010 : 16:17:48
By the way, media sensationalism struck again in Ohio with the bear attack. This is how damaging these types of stuff are:

Some guy has a pet bear in Ohio who ended up attacking him. Because of the media sensation it garnered, there is now a bill in Ohio that is calling for a ban on all exotics, including pet snakes! Yes, that includes your royals.

anatess Posted - 30/09/2010 : 16:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Perhaps the natural climate and source of food etc is just perfect in Florida.

It's perfect in the entire State of Florida that has more nature preserves than just the Everglades. We have Fort Caroline, Guyana, etc. etc. just in Jacksonville.

It's perfect in South Texas too. Also perfect in San Diego with even bigger nature preserves.

Those cities among others on the Southern border boast a high number of Exotic Animal ownership.

It is so perfect that the nutters in Congress tried to pass a ban on Exotic Animal ownership especially the giant snakes for the entire country because they concluded that at least 32 States will have the same problem that the Everglades is having... which is rubbish.

Guess who is lobbying for the ban? PETA and HSUS - it is public knowledge that these 2 groups consider pet ownership a form of animal rights abuse. They are hoping that they can put a ban on the exotics because a lot of people are "scared" of them so it will be easy to pass through. Then after this passes through - with a lot of support from the media who is more than happy to sensationalize every person strangled by their pet snake (yes, there are idiot python keepers out there), it will then be just a hop and skip away to ban dogs and cats who have a higher number of fatalities than snakes.

By the way, it used to be that Floridians who wants to get rid of their burmese pythons can put the snake up on Craigslist and make loads of money for it. (Another reason why it's improbable to say that the problem in the Everglades is mainly caused by owners letting go of their snakes). Well, now that Florida put a ban on acquiring burmese pythons, those who have these guys and don't want them anymore will not have a legal option to re-home these snakes except for sending them to the kill-sites.

Guys, we've been fighting this battle for 2 years over here. I've been supporting PIJAC and USARK in this. Americans are not like the British who are more "tolerant" to restrictions that are "reactive" and don't make sense.

These types of mis-information is damaging to our hobby.

(P.S. Did you notice my new British words - rubbish and nutters? w00t!)
Blackecho Posted - 30/09/2010 : 07:01:02
Perhaps the natural climate and source of food etc is just perfect in Florida.
nok1888 Posted - 29/09/2010 : 23:53:01
Yip lol

Seriously though you cant try say that the hurrican caused it all and claim theres no blame on anyone. People get animals they cant handle then decide to dump them, like you say they are higher on the food chain and theres plenty to feed on in the everglades so they'll thrive
anatess Posted - 29/09/2010 : 20:47:52
So, explain to me, why is the Burmese Python issue limited to South Florida?

Why aren't there Burmese Python invasion in Tampa? Jacksonville? Orlando?

Heck, how about San Diego, Houston?

So you're trying to say that all the idiots live in South Florida?
python23 Posted - 29/09/2010 : 13:05:37
I agree mate, I think it's abit of the both reasons that's caused this invasion of these Burmese, obviously the hurricane must of caused some to escape but Imo I believe that peoples pets getting released is the main reason. That's just my opinion.
Blackecho Posted - 29/09/2010 : 12:45:32
There are differing opinions.

quote:
...Studies suggest that the hurricane method was found to be untrue as the large snakes were spread too far across the everglades for it to have been any other method than human release...

nok1888 Posted - 29/09/2010 : 12:42:34
Nope it was called Giant Python Invasion Nat Geo I think it was
anatess Posted - 29/09/2010 : 05:02:18
quote:
Originally posted by nok1888

I watched a program the other night called Killer Pythons, and because of americans in florida buying them as babies then releasing them when too big, the everglades are "infested" with giant pythons and theyre having to go out looking for the eggs to destroy as well as any big snakes they come accross. It was so sad to watch. if ignorant people would stop buying these snakes as a status symbol (ooo look at me Im so hard), there wouldnt be a problem but the human race, as well proven in many different fields, doesnt have the brains to think ahead and the snakes pay the price. Pity they couldnt introduce a licence system, but theres no way they could keep track of who has them and who doesnt.

It really boils me when people dont want their pets they dump them, can they not have the guts to walk into an animal centre and just say "sorry I just cant take care of it anymore" they wouldnt be judged in anyway, like I say they just dont have the guts

Are you, per chance, talking about Killer Aliens on Animal Planet? If so, that show is rubbish! THAT is not the TRUTH about the python issue in the Everglades.

No, it is not caused by owners letting their pythons go in the Everglades. That is stupid. Think about it... do you think irresponsible Burmese Owners don't live anywhere else except in South Florida???

There is another show on NatGeo Wild called Python Hunters. THEY tell you the TRUTH about the issue. Greg Graziani is one of the hosts of that show.

If you wanna know the truth (I live in Florida, I would know), Hurricane Andrew wiped out Miami and destroyed several breeding facilities. This caused several breeder pythons among other things to escape into the wild. A few years later, we get a big population of burmese pythons in the Everglades because they are high up on the food chain. This is the same issue in the Keys that are getting a big population of lion fish. Hurricane Andrew wiped out Exotic Fish Breeders as well.

Last winter, we had a cold snap in Florida. Miami experienced 2 weeks straight of freezing temperatures. The burmese pythons did not survive. There is currently a python hunting license issued by the State to hunt pythons in the everglades. The hunters are coming up dry this year.

But, it is too late - because the stupid senators of Florida passed the ban on giant snakes. You can't own or purchase burmese, retics, etc. anymore. Florida laws is messed up! It's the only state where you can't put a pregnant pig in a pen. Go figure.

If they really want to solve the problem, they should ban hurricanes!
Welly Posted - 28/09/2010 : 22:39:28
There is a stunning Sri Lankan Python near me that i see when i get my supplies.
It's still tiny but must be a year or two old.
It has some amazing colouration on it's head, i'd love it but i can't justify how big it will get :( Shame as it is a lovely looking snake
CoN Posted - 28/09/2010 : 19:07:53
See THAT'S why I love royals!! Back in South Africa I always wanted to get a Boa or a Python (back home I never new Royals existed) but because I know the size they would get and the size of prey the need when adults I never bothered, and stick ed to Corn snakes. But when Ive learned about Royals, that was it I'm hooked. Finally Ive got myself a Python :)
python23 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 16:24:31
Why get a snake you can't handle when fully grown and not knowing if it is going to strangle you every time you touch it. No thanks. A big 2000g royal will do me.
reptiledanny Posted - 28/09/2010 : 16:21:30
lol, i now someone that has an african rock snake as ept lol, and they get huge
python23 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 16:01:50
Saw the same programme mate, it's a shame because the snakes done nothin wrong, it's just down to unprepared people who realise they can't keep a snake that big, I would never dream of having a snake as big as a Burmese, but you can't help but be amazed by them, a boa is probably my limit. God knows why anyone would have one of them African rocks as a pet, fools.
nok1888 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 13:58:05
I watched a program the other night called Killer Pythons, and because of americans in florida buying them as babies then releasing them when too big, the everglades are "infested" with giant pythons and theyre having to go out looking for the eggs to destroy as well as any big snakes they come accross. It was so sad to watch. if ignorant people would stop buying these snakes as a status symbol (ooo look at me Im so hard), there wouldnt be a problem but the human race, as well proven in many different fields, doesnt have the brains to think ahead and the snakes pay the price. Pity they couldnt introduce a licence system, but theres no way they could keep track of who has them and who doesnt.

It really boils me when people dont want their pets they dump them, can they not have the guts to walk into an animal centre and just say "sorry I just cant take care of it anymore" they wouldnt be judged in anyway, like I say they just dont have the guts
reptiledanny Posted - 25/09/2010 : 11:05:50
thats really sad, poor snake
karl Posted - 25/09/2010 : 11:00:01
There are people all over this world that are that stupid, pity really. The amount of animals that need rehoming in this country we could have a NO BREEDING year, and still have surplus.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000