The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 *sigh

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptiledanny Posted - 07/11/2010 : 11:59:16
well, for the 3rd time bow refused her meal, i have tried to feed her three times and all three she seems interested, comes out her hide when im warming it up with hairdryer, i put it in cage she strolls up to it, stares at it for about 30 secs then moves away.
i have tried:
warming the rat for 30 secs on hairdryer and then offering
putting a whole in the rats head, then giving it a bit off a squezze to get a bit of liquid out of it and then warming up
putting her in a container with a brained warmed rat and leaving her in a dark place (in her tank for 20 mins)
all of these were tried yesterday as the 2 weeks before i thought she was maybe just settling in. nothing seems to be working, ill just try again tonight with monty's mouse and if she refuses again then monty gets his tea. sigh, looks like she could be a very fussy one lol
could it be down to the time of year, it being winter and all that??
any other things i can try??
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boze Posted - 10/11/2010 : 00:52:58
^^ Yup, make sure you arent offering food any more than once a week :-)

D
Robert Posted - 07/11/2010 : 21:18:29
Don't worry just go with the flow :) I have 8 royals and two females that haven't eaten for 12 weeks now just the way it is with thwm so long as they are well and their environment is good they will eat when they want to, frustrating I know but that's how they are :) just try once a week and wait.
n/a Posted - 07/11/2010 : 18:15:31
LOL - I thought it was just me who'd got awkward snakes!

It's been like that here - one faddy royal, two corns in blue and one about to shed, to say nothing of Cy, who didn't want to eat and is now prowling about going 'feed me!!' After corn feeding I went up to Shahi, who had recovered from his traumatic ratty experience (I HAD scented it with mouse.) He came for the tongs with his gob hanging open, but I do wish he'd get started on rats. Sorry, should have said before, if Bow's been eating rats, if I were you I'd try to keep her on rats, especially as you plan to breed her; there's much more nutrition in a rat.

Good luck - I'm sure she'll start soon. At least she's interested -with this rat Shahi just backed away in horror.

All the best!
reptiledanny Posted - 07/11/2010 : 15:59:09
im not worried its just fustrating why at the moment, i will give it a go tonight at gashing the mouses food
basically what i do is i get a rat out on saturday morning, let it defrost, then at 9 at night, i offer it to bow, if she eats then great (not that she has) if she refuses i offer it to bullet, if he eats then good, if he refuses (not that he does that often) then monty gets it as monty will not refuse anything lol. if bow eats then i get a mouse and a rat out for monty and bullet on sunday, but if bow refuses and bullet eats it then the next day i get a mouse out for monty, but i offer it to bow incase she prefers the mouse, and if she decides all of a sudden that she wants it then i just get another mouse out for monty
yes bats, they are akward little buggers, i left the rat in bullets cage last night, incase he wanted it as he hadn't eaten it, but i forgot to warm it up, i then in the morning woke up early (5) so decided to heat the rat up again and offer, as soon as he smelt it he went crazy for it, although his strikes are not vcery accurate lol, so took 3 attempts
Blackecho Posted - 07/11/2010 : 14:05:25
Too ealry to worry, just keep going with a nice warm rat.
n/a Posted - 07/11/2010 : 13:37:24
Aww, you have my sympathy - awkward little gits, aren't they? If it's any comfort, Shahi just refused his rat too, like you I'm going to try him again later with a mousey meal.

I think she could well be still settling in - reading on the forum I've noticed a few people have had this sort of experience with new snakes. It's good that she's taking an interest in the rat, a good start.

Have you tried offering the rat on tongs and waggling it? This seemed to get Shahi going - but they are all different of course. And I had a lot of success with one of my corns by snipping the mouse's neck. Not braining it, just half severing the neck. She wouldn't look at a brained pinky but the cut neck attracted her instantly - I don't know why.

And yes, I'd be interested to know if the winter months can affect feeding habits.

Good luck and all the best!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000