The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 A handy tip and some bargains

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/11/2010 : 13:58:16
Am I the only one who hates changing bulbs and refixing guards? It's okay if you've got the posh guards with the little hatch that opens to give access to the bulb, but when you've got to screw the dratted thing back on to the viv ceiling, fumbling with the screwdriver and cursing every time a screw pops back out and buries itself in the substrate ...d'oh!

Imagine (and as the world's worst worrybucket I'm an expert in worst-case scenarios) a bulb blowing in the middle of the night or when you're dashing out in a hurry. Either you mess about changing the bulb and refixing the guard straight away, or leave the snake in the cold.

Then I had a brainwave. Screw eyes. These are a miniature version of the 'eye' in the garden gate 'hook and eye' fastening; I use them extensively on the sides of the vivs to fasten branches, plants etc as there are no sharp edges. They will screw in easily to the existing screw holes for the guard and can be tightened/loosened by inserting the end of a pencil or screwdriver in the metal 'eye'. Much easier!

And they work a treat! I used the smallest size, available from B&Q for £6 for 25.

As I entered B&Q I found, in the foyer, a big stand of DIY sundries at a £ each ... hardware, electrical, that sort of thing. Amongst many other things I got a timeswitch, a set of masonry drill bits and a set of long tweezers which, sterilised, could be utilised for feeding hatchlings ...

If you're passing, could be useful to take a look.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 12/11/2010 : 21:51:16
i am guna ahve to try this when bullet goes into his viv eventually lol as it sounds really good. that was the one thing that always troubled me, was how do u get the bulv out without unscrewing it
n/a Posted - 12/11/2010 : 20:03:07
quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Thats a really good concept Lilith thanks for posting

My pleasure.
Robert Posted - 12/11/2010 : 19:48:07
Thats a really good concept Lilith thanks for posting
reptiledanny Posted - 09/11/2010 : 07:47:01
iv seen it, isnt it amazing, that is something that i want to create in the future, when i can buy as many royals as i want
n/a Posted - 08/11/2010 : 20:53:36
LOL - good, I really will learn to post pics one day ...

Hey, Danny, a bit off topic, but for a bit of fun, google 'Panda Pied Ball Python by Outback Reptiles' on Youtube.

I DON'T think that one will be cut price for a while ...
reptiledanny Posted - 08/11/2010 : 19:22:31
god, i keep forgetting u are no good with photobucket bats lol
i think i get it now, i googled them and saw a pic of them, and i think i get what u mean now lol
thanks
n/a Posted - 08/11/2010 : 19:01:53
Sorry, Danny, I'm just no good at posting pics!

A screw eye is like a tiny cup hook, but the 'hook' bit goes round in a complete circle. In fact you could use small hooks, but I prefer the screw eyes because there are no potential sharp edges that the snake could climb on. Of course you could always use those cup hooks that are coated in white plastic, if you could get some small enough. It's a case of something that is easily undone and refastened by hand rather than fiddling about with those tiny screws and screwdriver.

Hope this makes it clearer? I am really really going to have to get my head round photobucket and loading pics ...Sorry again!

reptiledanny Posted - 08/11/2010 : 18:36:30
could you post a pic of how the work with the guard, i cannot get my head around it
deadmansfinger Posted - 08/11/2010 : 16:37:27
After googling screw eyes I agree this is a good idea!
Blackecho Posted - 08/11/2010 : 15:30:04
Sounds good.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000