The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 In love, but what to do?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oh How Original Posted - 06/01/2011 : 21:15:14
OK this is going to be quite a long post...
I already own 3 corns, I am looking to breed my '08 female Normal, but people have been saying don't because of the cut throat prices at the moment.
Still unsure what to do.
Anyway, I was in my local reptile shop looking at getting a male snow to breed with my normal, and happened to see in a tall viv a Royal for sale, he is only a little one I think (viv was a bit high to see fully) and everytime I jumped up to see inside he poked his head over as if to say "ohhh who are you"...
I wish I had asked to see him out and about because I wanted a Royal before I wanted a corn years ago.
But theres a few things I have heard about them that has really put me off actually buying one.
First and foremost, is the fasting thing they do, I know they do it and it's there choice but it would still put me on edge.
Also someone said if there not happy in there vivarium they will just starve themselves to death?
Not sure if that's true or not.
Also what are they like to actually own on a day to day basis?
For example they don't have the temperament of a King do they? (fine one day and really evil the next).
Also what kind of set-up do they need?
IE heating - lighting - viv size etc..
And lastly, on average how big will a full grown adult normal royal hit?
As much as I would love something huge, I just don't have the room for a really big viv.
Sorry this is a really long post but really interested in getting a nice Royal and this one has definitely got me VERY interested!
Any help will be appreciated.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lee2907 Posted - 08/01/2011 : 17:36:17
Thanks Lilith,
Oh How Original Posted - 07/01/2011 : 18:46:08
I have a friend who has been breeding snakes for 25-30 years.
He has a couple of Royals and some Boas and stuff.
I'm sure if I asked him he would come over and help me get the set-up perfect.
I am eventually hoping to do some kind of viv build too, so as long as I don't move anything it should all be OK with adding stuff.
n/a Posted - 07/01/2011 : 17:56:28
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

Insomniac mixed with been nocturnal is even less fun lol.
And thanks again for all the information.
They didn't tell me what was wrong with the snake, and yes I will be getting a different one if I decide to go for it because I am not experienced enough for if something goes wrong to really be able to tell.
So will start with a healthy one as you say.
And this is the bit I get most confused is with the probes etc...

Yeah I know - I've been at it for a few months and it still confuses me! But any more questions, do ask, and there are much more experienced people on here than me - we will do our best to advise.
Oh How Original Posted - 07/01/2011 : 17:42:48
Insomniac mixed with been nocturnal is even less fun lol.
And thanks again for all the information.
They didn't tell me what was wrong with the snake, and yes I will be getting a different one if I decide to go for it because I am not experienced enough for if something goes wrong to really be able to tell.
So will start with a healthy one as you say.
And this is the bit I get most confused is with the probes etc...
n/a Posted - 07/01/2011 : 17:35:08
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

I will definitely look into it.
And I want to do it the easiest way (worry too much again) because I don't want to do something wrong and have an unhappy snake.
I also went back to the shop were I saw the Royal I wanted to see if I could handle him/her but the reason he/she isn't for sale is he/she isn't well, so they are hanging onto he/she for the time being until he/she is better (sorry for all the he/shes but I hate when people called a snake an "it")
As long as I can get the heating right, I think everything else will follow quite well.
I change there water every 12-24 hours depending on if I'm awake or asleep (I don't sleep very often).
And do daily spot checks for the usual stuff.
My main problem, is I like to have a clean looking viv (not loads of wires hanging around etc...) so not sure what would be the best option for the snake to keep the temp correct at all times.
Also what stat and thermometer would you recommend using Lilith?
Or anyone else who owns them too...

Hi - ooh, a fellow insomniac! Fun, isn't it (not!) lol.

Sorry to hear about that royal not being well - did they go into any detail? It may sound a little hard, but it might be as well to look elsewhere, as it would be a good idea to start off with a healthy snake.

The water issue, that's had quite a few debates on it. Some people only use bottled and change daily. Some people say that tap water that has been left to stand and lose chlorine content is as good as bottled. I use tapwater and change every 24-48 hours. I think it's whatever suits you, as long as the water's changed fequently enough.

I know what you mean about wires everywhere. I hate them! I drill a hole in the top of the viv for the light fitting. If the flex is taped on top of the viv, snakey can't get through the guard to disarrange it. I drill a hole in the front bottom of the viv, about midway, for the stat probe. My stats' instruction leaflets say, have the probe going into the top of the viv about 10" away from the bulb, and let it dangle suspended. Well, that is what I did with Shahi's stat, but I don't care for it. Plus, he can move it slightly (probe needs to be at snake level for the correct temps.) I like my probes lying on the substrate (flex can lie under substrate and be secured by heavy hide or rock.) As royals spend most time in their hides there is a slim chance of them obscuring the probe and sending the heating skyhigh, but I make sure the probe is clear of anything that might obscure it.

Some people like to put their probes at the hot end. I tried this, but it didn't work for me. I thought, right, hot end 30-32, cool end 26, put probe in hot end, turn stat setting to 32 ... stats don't always work like that. The temp set by this setting can sometimes be cooler or hotter (d'oh!) The highest setting they have is usually 34. So if the probe is in the hot end I've found I can't get enough heat. To put the probe midway, where a lower setting is needed, gives me more scope (hope I described that clearly ... can't always get my head round this stuff!)

When I first started with snakes I got sold those sticky temp strips. And put them halfway up on the wall ... Luckily I learned ... and hating wires bought a temp gun. These are pricey. £50 from Maplins, but if you have a lot of snakes they are worth it. I'm afraid I've no experience with the digital ones. Oh, and I use the basic Microclimate/Habistat dimmer stats - I find those are fine.

Apologies - this has been 'War and Peace'! But hope it helps.

Good luck!
Oh How Original Posted - 07/01/2011 : 17:06:47
I will definitely look into it.
And I want to do it the easiest way (worry too much again) because I don't want to do something wrong and have an unhappy snake.
I also went back to the shop were I saw the Royal I wanted to see if I could handle him/her but the reason he/she isn't for sale is he/she isn't well, so they are hanging onto he/she for the time being until he/she is better (sorry for all the he/shes but I hate when people called a snake an "it")
As long as I can get the heating right, I think everything else will follow quite well.
I change there water every 12-24 hours depending on if I'm awake or asleep (I don't sleep very often).
And do daily spot checks for the usual stuff.
My main problem, is I like to have a clean looking viv (not loads of wires hanging around etc...) so not sure what would be the best option for the snake to keep the temp correct at all times.
Also what stat and thermometer would you recommend using Lilith?
Or anyone else who owns them too...
n/a Posted - 07/01/2011 : 16:36:41
Hi, Lee, welcome to the forum. I see we're neighbours - I'm in Wakefield - and there are loads more of us in Yorks - think it must be royal county lol!
Lee2907 Posted - 07/01/2011 : 16:29:19
I Had a corn only a short while before deciding that I wanted a Royal. I am so glad that I did get one, he (Rocky cb10) feeds well sheds fine is freindly & becoming more bold each time he is handled. For a short while he would just curl up in a ball for the first 5 minutes before finally having a wander around my arm but now hes awaay as soon as he is picked up out of the viv. I was put off by the things I have read but I am glad I read up about them on this forum as it changed my mind & now I am one happy Royal owner.
n/a Posted - 06/01/2011 : 22:06:53
quote:
Originally posted by louise32

OHO you are exactly the same as me. I really want a royal but came on here and the first question I asked was about heating as I have no experience of using anything other than a heatmat for my corn.

I also worry way too much but it means we care :o)

LOL - same here - royals arouse our maternal instincts ...
louise32 Posted - 06/01/2011 : 22:03:11
OHO you are exactly the same as me. I really want a royal but came on here and the first question I asked was about heating as I have no experience of using anything other than a heatmat for my corn.

I also worry way too much but it means we care :o)
n/a Posted - 06/01/2011 : 21:59:44
Hi, thanks glad you like my name ... so do I!

To my mind infra-red's the cheapest option. You'll need:

1 screw light fitting, flex and plug

1 infra-red bulb

EDIT - and guard! Assuming everyone knows this - but it's like good practice to say it! (Sorry - fussing!)

1 dimmer stat

I think this may work out as cheap as a mat and stat. I get all my gear from Blue Lizard - they have a website and free delivery over £50 - I bulk the order up with bulbs and substrate.

Or if your house is warm and your budget tight and snakey is small, a rub with statted mat underneath will be fine for the time being. Well, loads of people keep adult royals in rubs, as you'll know.

Obviously you need to have your husbandry right (and I'm sure you will - you're doing all your research) but I think they're definitely easier to keep than, say, green tree pythons. Now THAT is a delicate snake!

Getting excited for you! Good luck!

ps, all you need to know (lol not) about dimmer stats is on this general forum, a thread a couple of pages back, entitled 'dimmer stats for the dim' ...if I can fit one of these gismos, anyone can!!
Oh How Original Posted - 06/01/2011 : 21:48:21
Thanks so much for all that Lilith (Lovely name by the way)
I obviously wouldn't mean to keep one under the wrong conditions, but I heard that the slightest thing wrong can make them starve themselves to death.
Also I have never used the ceramic heating set-up, so would need help sorting that out and the best place to put the probe for the best result in heat.
Plus I don't have a massive budget, so can't afford the best thermometer for example to keep the heat perfect.
I just think I worry too much, but it's good to hear it from someone who actually owns Royal(s) and lives with them on a day to day basis.
From what you say it makes me want one more, apart from the complication of sorting the heating out.
Actually rather tempted to go back to the shop and see how much he was and what kind of viv and heating I could get on my budget.
Thanks again.
n/a Posted - 06/01/2011 : 21:41:59
Well - what you describe is how I got Shahi - and I've never regretted it!

I will take questions one by one - and apologies in advance to anyone I overlap with!

Royals, in my experience, and from reading on this forum, are good eaters for most of the year. At this time of the year an adult royal's mind is on sex. They stop eating, and live off their fat - literally. Some may fast for weeks and never lose weight. It's what royals do! (And, as I never tire of saying, that is why the royal python god gives us corns first, so that the corns can recycle refused royal meals ...) Seriously though, they are all different. Shahi (cf10) eats once a fortnight atm, and he's top weight - see BE's 'weight by age thread'. Surahi usually eats, but at present only one large mouse, not 2 (she's cb06.) They'll increase their food in the spring - or earlier. Saada, cf 09, has never stopped eating!

If you keep any snake under the wrong conditions, it may stop eating - this doesn't just apply to royals.

I'm biased of course, but Royals are timid, placid, gentle, very restful and a joy to own ...

They do need infra-red or ceramic light heat on the appropriate stat - they are large bodied snakes who may cause thermal blocking on even a statted heat mat, owing to their bulk. They won't be able to sense burning via their bellies - it is the heat pits beneath their nostrils that have the keenest sense of heat, in order to hunt prey.

If you observe the few basic rules, I think they're easy to keep. Blackecho describes them as 'agoraphobic' and so they are - they like loads of hides and to curl up in a confined space. Most people advocate a 3' viv for even a large royal, which may be 5'.

Again I'm biased, but I really do find them a pleasure. Even a big royal will roam round slowly, giving you a hug and a squeeze, but never getting out of hand ... they can be very alert at feeding time and it's best to use tongs, (there's a slight chance they might mistake a finger for prey, usually feels like velcro though as with any snake an accidental feeding response bite is possible) but even hatchling corns can be pretty quick and nippy under the same circumstances.

There is so much info on this forum, and in past posts too. I recommend reading - and asking any question you need to - there's always someone around to answer.

Do hope you get your royal!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000