The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Gutted

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 08/01/2011 : 17:59:15
Went to my local reptile shop this evening and saw an albino royal and is was GORGEOUS! unfortunately i'm nly 16 with no job and cant afford £400-£600
On the other hand I bought an infrared bulb with a bulb guard, and nearly died at the price of the bulb guard... £23 for a piece of metal... I really didnt think it would be that expensive haha
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 09/01/2011 : 11:59:20
Hi surroundedbymadness, yeh always check ebay and the classifieds. Works out cheaper than the shops. I know £20 is steep for what it is but sometimes you have to look at what it does. Also you'll never need to buy another one for that set up. Where as bulbs burn out, substrate needs changing, hides become to small etc. So really in the long run it's your cheapest purchase.
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 09/01/2011 : 10:52:26
Sounds good :) look foward to seeing them :)
reptiledanny Posted - 08/01/2011 : 21:04:49
ill post some pics of the one i made, not the best, will do though
n/a Posted - 08/01/2011 : 21:01:51
Come on then, tell us your secret!

Pics too!
Oh How Original Posted - 08/01/2011 : 20:58:32
In my opinion, my home made one looks as good as any shop bought one.
I could also spray it any colour so they can't even throw that at me for the price lol.
But seriously, a little bit of patient and 30 minutes later you could have a guard as good as any shop bought one.
£20+ is absolutely ridiculous.
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 08/01/2011 : 20:57:23
Oh I never thought to use those, thats a really good idea
reptiledanny Posted - 08/01/2011 : 20:33:00
i might have a little look on ebay
n/a Posted - 08/01/2011 : 20:27:42
The cheapest I've found them for is £18, from Blue Lizard, my favourite website supplier. Even that seems a lot for a little metal cage, but at least we know we've done our best ...

Hey, a good tip for undoing/refixing the guard when changing the bulb is not to fix the guard in with screws, but to use little gismos called screw eyes. These are like a tiny hook that goes round in a continuous hoop (no sharp edges for snakey.) You can screw and unscrew it with your fingers, much faster than fiddling about with a screwdriver. I'm afraid a packet will set you back another fiver from B&Q but the remainder are wonderful for fixing in the walls of the viv to tie plants etc to. (You will need one of those gimlet thingys or a narrow drill bit to make the initial hole but after that it's plain sailing, and you can use the end of a pencil, inserted in the screw 'eye' to tighten it fully.
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 08/01/2011 : 20:12:48
Yeah they are expensive, i thought i had everything i needed, but found out a heatmat could harm the snake and doesnt really heat the air temperature, so went out today and got an infrared bulb and everything... but once its done its done
reptiledanny Posted - 08/01/2011 : 20:09:26
ye, i made mine, but it does not look as good as a shop bought one, so may end up buying one anyway
Lotabob Posted - 08/01/2011 : 19:58:10
My guards were £20 each, they are really nicely made though so in my mind, worth it (though the one for my corn hatchling was a waste of time he sits inside it). Snakes are a very expensive way of life, but once the initial cost of set up has been taken care of they are relatively cheap to care for.
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 08/01/2011 : 19:01:23
haha im not even going to try and make something myself, i would fail misserably and get very angry lmao
I'd rather spend money and know its done properly, but £23?! thats rediculous!
Kelfezond Posted - 08/01/2011 : 18:15:03
I tried making my own by cutting a sheet of wire mesh from a large metal bin, I spend about an hour playing with it before losing my temper after cutting my finger for about the 8th time and ending up with a load of broken wire mesh twisted and ruined like some post-apocalypse bin :P

Needless to say I prefer to throw money at my DIY problems to fix them from now on XD

You people must be geniuses who build your own stuff.
Oh How Original Posted - 08/01/2011 : 18:12:43
I made my own for a Boa.
It cost me about £3 in mesh.
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 08/01/2011 : 18:06:59
Oh mannn! I knew I should have asked on here first!
Kelfezond Posted - 08/01/2011 : 18:03:09
I got my guard from Dave, it's fantastic and I'll be ordering another 3 in a few days time :)

Link for future reference!

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=656
reptiledanny Posted - 08/01/2011 : 18:01:29
u should have made your own, i need to put up the pics of the one i made, and how i did it lol

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000