The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Snake theft warning

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Royalbob Posted - 28/02/2011 : 13:10:38
Taken from captive bred

Subject to a bit of further confirmation, posting a bit of information I was given prior to the weekend.

Upon visiting a semi-local reptile shop, engaged conversation with the owner as he was looking a little tired.
Turns out he had spent the night at the shop as some 'customers' the day before had tried selling him a few royals.

After he'd been chatting with them a while it became apparent that the royals they were trying to sell were a bit out of their range for the little knowledge they had about the breeding of the various morphs.
So much so that he said he'd have to pass for the moment and once they left, phoned the police.

The police arrived, took a statement, then proceeded to explain that a well known reptile shop had almost been broken into when thieves broke into the shop next door to try to gain access!

The officer also explained that the snakes would seem to have been the stock stolen from Kent, something in the region of 66 snakes with a value in excess of £50,000!

Explains why this owner had spent the night in the shop, could have been casing the place whilst trying to sell what they had!

The officer also said that there should be something on Crimewatch tonight (Monday) but I haven't had any confirmation from the BBC on this so may just be one policeman's hopes that the crime is taken seriously!

Not trying to create too much of an issue as we are all aware and take steps to protect ourselves and our animals but it would seem the hobby is beginning to create a little too much interest from the wrong type of people.

Please be vigilant.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 02/03/2011 : 08:57:06
Cheers Lotabob I didn't have the original post. As Hodgie said. Just like anything else expensive
Bs carefull who you bring into your house and where you advertise
for selling etc.
n/a Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:14:04
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

I bought my Bumblebee from that shop, very sad for them as they were very decent people, the shop was spotlessly clean (even had to dissinfect my hands when i went in) Hopefully the toe rags will be caught,

hear hear!
hodgie Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:06:00
I bought my Bumblebee from that shop, very sad for them as they were very decent people, the shop was spotlessly clean (even had to dissinfect my hands when i went in) Hopefully the toe rags will be caught,
Lotabob Posted - 28/02/2011 : 18:17:56
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/january/14/snakes_worth_45k_stolen.aspx
n/a Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:42:58
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

No different than any other expensive/pedegree pet, theres always someone out there who may see an opertunity.

Well, very true, but at least your average guy in the street knows enough (we hope) to put down water and dried/tinned dog/cat food - they won't want their expensive stolen animal to lose condition. But there are far fewer people versed in even rudimentary snake care - that, quite apart from the theft, is what makes it worrying...
hodgie Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:13:09
No different than any other expensive/pedegree pet, theres always someone out there who may see an opertunity.
n/a Posted - 28/02/2011 : 14:49:41

In other words, guys, make sure your balls are protected!

To think that I was going to make a laminated notice with a photo of a royal and the words 'Beware, I live here' to put in the window as a burglar deterrent ...

Seriously, this is very alarming, not simply because of the thefts, but also because of the possibility of the thieves being ignorant of proper snake care ... the mind boggles.

I've just been reading Kevin McCurley on the ball python 'mafia' and the double dealing that goes on in Africa ... seems like balls are big business...

It's a mad world ...

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000