The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Sexing by eye???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 05/03/2011 : 20:30:29
Just a query, I know that sexing by eye is by no means accurate but if you was going to have a go what would be the tell tale signs?

I'm not a fan of probing without reason and have no immediate need to know so the best I can go on is that the guy in the shop thought by looking at Duke he was male (small head). I for some reason have it in my head that its wrong and he is a she.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lancelot Posted - 08/03/2011 : 10:04:56
I was told visually males have more of a spoon head shape look to them , longer thinner looking neck then the thicker part. Females look more "neat", thicker throughout, less neck then males and weight wise become much more heavier and longer in adulthood. If lancelot was male the size would be fine but as female has much more growing to do especially if i want to breed her she'd need to at least double her weight.
When i got lancelot sexed he probed her than said visually looked female but it's far from a best method looking visually only.
sandi Posted - 07/03/2011 : 16:00:21
Years ago, i was told that the tail tapered from the vent in a femail and was straight for an inch or so then tapering in a male. Due to the sex organ inside! My first ever snakes were garter snakes and this was clearly the case with them and proved to be true as i bred from them.
n/a Posted - 07/03/2011 : 14:47:27
LOL - not supposed to say this really but I'm always amazed by the amount of expression they have in their eyes and on their faces.

(To those stern purists who think this sort of thing is icky, I'd advise you to stop reading now ...)

Surahi, resting her chin on her hefty coils, looks bright and confident. ('What do you want, missis?')

Saada hides her head at first and then gives me a demure glance, tongue flicking, before taking off like a rocket round the bed.

Shahi, monarch of all he surveys, boss royal, pretending he's still a poor bewildered little hatchling just arrived from Ghana, always gives me his 'little boy lost' look (he's a man all right lol!)
BlueDragon Posted - 07/03/2011 : 09:20:45
I love watching their eyes move too : ) Kinda almost mesmorizing (sp?) isn't it?
Lotabob Posted - 06/03/2011 : 12:11:58
Bella's spurs are bigger than Duke's but Duke is a big fatty so maybe he has just grown round them.

They are pretty fascinating to think they are leftover bits that show snakes once had legs. But then again as an animal I find them so incredible from nose to tail, like the way their eyes move underneath the goggles, its more obvious with a royal's eye.
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 12:06:36
LOL - wouldn't it be easier if they were like cats, eh?

Well, naming would for a start.

('I'm tellin' ya, life ain't easy for a boy named Sue ...')
louise32 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 11:58:00
Hey Bats, yes she was popped by the breeder but not probed and he did tell me that males can clench so a female is not always an acurate sexing lol

I don't mind either way as she is a pet, not a breeder. I am just amazed by the spurs, I think they are really cool. :)
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 11:48:00
Oo, just seen your pics, Louise!

The spurs are like Shahi's - but honestly, Bella may still be a girl.

n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 11:45:20
Hi, Louise, some females have big spurs too - that's why it's not failsafe. I'm assuming Bella's breeder popped her just after hatching or probed her later? It'll be interesting to find out though.

That's why I've always kept to 'unisex' names for my snakes, apart from Saffron who was bought as a female - just in case. I've heard of the tail thing in relation to corns, only with them the male's tail (the length beyond the vent) is supposed to be longer, in order to contain the hemipenes. I was convinced Buffy was a lad ... no. 'He' was a 'she' and it was really odd trying to remember to call 'him' a girl ...

Never a dull moment eh?
louise32 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 11:28:06
Hmmm, this has be wondering now.

Bella have very noticable spurs, infact I was quite shocked when I noticed them. I felt them first and wondered what the heck it was then realised.

I will try and get a pics up....

Edit: Right here are the pics, even though they aren't great you can clearly see the spurs. Bella has a tiny tail too. Woner if Bella is a fella

hodgie Posted - 06/03/2011 : 10:15:05
Quess and your either right or wrong
Blackecho Posted - 06/03/2011 : 10:03:07
Anyone can guess a snake's sex by eye with a good 50% accuracy rate....
BlueDragon Posted - 06/03/2011 : 09:44:18
I thought another way to guess sex by eye was the size of the tail, males having smaller tails than females. Am I wrong?

Tig has a tiny tail, but when I bought him I was shown two snakes, him and a female and I could see that her tail was nearly twice as long as Tig's.

I've never even seen Tig's spurs : / ...Not that I make a habit of looking down there X )
Lotabob Posted - 05/03/2011 : 22:55:49
No its not ideal. Would have had to have a major name rethink, maybe go along the lines of Spot's name and call him/her/I'm confiused Dot.
n/a Posted - 05/03/2011 : 22:37:53
No probs Bob!

(Imagine Duke becoming a Duchess)

I'm a feminist but it doesn't have quite the same ring...
Lotabob Posted - 05/03/2011 : 22:30:43
Thanks for that. I'm happy now, the rep shop has got a few things wrong but thats at lest put that question to bed.

BATS, 10 brownie points for you.
n/a Posted - 05/03/2011 : 22:15:41
Yup, that sounds about right.

Shahi hasn't actually been probed, just popped as a hatchling, but going by spurs he ought to be a lad.

The only way to really tell is probing (and sometimes not even then) but like you I don't care for it although my corns didn't seem to give a damn, except when Spooky peed everywhere (she would!)
Lotabob Posted - 05/03/2011 : 22:09:50
Yeah its tiny yellow thing the other one went inside lol. Its just underneath a small black patch which is just underneath the long black line down his? tail.
n/a Posted - 05/03/2011 : 22:08:00
Is it that little beige patch on the right? That's about the size of Shahi's spurs.

(Sorry I can't post a pic of him - my skills at posting pics on the forum are nil.)
Lotabob Posted - 05/03/2011 : 21:54:52

Thats the best I could do, my camera hates unnaturl light. If you can just make one of the little spurs out the other one was barely above the skin in that position.

They are maybe 1mm possibly 2 in the right position.

he balled up the second I tried to take a picture.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000