The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Tia update

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Strawb Posted - 14/03/2011 : 21:17:12
Just to let people know (if anyone is interested) that my previously neglected royal Tia has had her first serious dump. It looked like and was about the size of a cat poo. Not bad for an 80cm snake. The eyes water just thinking about it.
She has also put on weight and is now 576g, up about 100g in a month.
This leads me to a question. I know all royals are different, but what should be the `optimal` weight for a snake that is currently 80cm long?
Blackecho's chart is very useful, but Tia doesn't figure in this because she was neglected and seriously under size and under weight.
I hope some of the experts on this friendly forum can give me a guideline.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/03/2011 : 21:04:25
Hi, this interests me too.

Shahi's feeding history was well, dodgy, I'm afraid, but once over inital difficulties he zoomed ahead.

Tia's size is clearly due to neglect.

Saada's small size was, I always thought, due to being kept on a 'shop' diet schedule.

But having been on this forum for a while I've seen some tiny hatchlings and adolescents - didn't someone a short while back buy two young snakes at a very low price due to their small size?

Maybe royals vary just as much as people, and no feeding is going to change the size of a genetically small royal?

I too would be interested to hear what the experts think.
Strawb Posted - 15/03/2011 : 20:52:46
Hi BATS,
She certainly is small for a 2008. This raises another question. Do royals that have been under fed and are consequently under size, make up for it later with appropriate care? Will she attain normal adult size?
n/a Posted - 15/03/2011 : 20:33:16
Hi, you got Tia with paperwork saying she'd hatched April 08. For a small snake (rapidly growing small snake) that could well be right.

My cf10 male weighed 459gm on 6/1/11 (he's just due to shed so I'll weigh him afterwards, after the gigantic dump lol and weigh Saada too.)

Now Saada's a cf 09, but on 6/1/11 she weighed 469gm. (Though as I say she's a bright healthy little thing, and still looks chunky.)

So if your lass now weighs 576gm, and is obviously fast gaining weight, bless her, I reckon it's feasible she could be a small 08?

Hope I'm not just adding to the confusion lol.

Strawb Posted - 15/03/2011 : 20:03:52
Thanks for the replies. It's good to know I'm getting it right.
I'm currently feeding her once a week until she has filled out and is firmer to the touch. She has certainly livened up since I got her.
I'll then feed her every ten days once her body condition has improved.
It's just annoying that I can't balance her weight with her age.
Lancelot Posted - 15/03/2011 : 18:40:54
shows everything is in perfect working order :)
sandi Posted - 15/03/2011 : 08:32:25
Congrats on the weight gain, sounds good to me!

As for royal poo....its something else! My Boa's poo isnt any where near as big as my royal's!!!
Royalbob Posted - 14/03/2011 : 22:21:53
If she put on 100g in one month both on empty weigh in's then she is doing great. No need to worry at all.
my younger ones are doing about 50-60g a month. hope that helps a bit.
n/a Posted - 14/03/2011 : 22:04:05
Well, you said it ... Tia was neglected and therefore can't be said to conform to a conventional weight ... though she sounds to be piling it on now.

Honestly, they're all different.

Last July I bought a cf hatchling (Shahi) who had a bit of a bad start at feeding but ended up as being commented on by Blackecho as a record weight ...

In Nov I got Saada, also cf (09) very healthy but her owner had taken the advice of the pet supermarket who sold her and was feeding her less than I would (no offence to her owner, he clearly cared about her and thought he was doing his best.)

When I weighed Shahi and Saada in the new year, Saada was just 10gm ahead of Shahi. She looks fine, honestly, she's a lovely little snake, just small (well, doesn't matter, she's just a pet.)

I'm not an expert but in my opinion, erm ... oft repeated verdict ... they are all different...

Tia sounds to be fine!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000