The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Update and a small question.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Margwar Posted - 17/03/2011 : 10:10:52
Well, Margwar shed sometime night before last, he shed everywhere but his head >.< This just proves that the bathing I did was doing good as the top of his head was the only part of his body that didn't get soaked!
So we had a bit of fun getting that off him, he was pretty good, a little jumpy, but that's to be expected.
In the past he's been fed 1 large mouse every 2 weeks or so, but having looked at prices and what not, we've decided to get him onto small-medium rats, but this left us with 9 large mice to get rid of, so we stepped into the realms of the unknown last night and fed him 2 mice, he's never had two in the entire 10 years he's been here. I had visions of him regurgitating it, or just refusing, but he struck the first one, mid air as it was being thrown towards him, ate that one happily. (And for once head first, first time, instead of the side or back end!) The second one he struck and constricted whilst it was on the floor, we couldn't get a good aim to throw it close to him. But he ate that one too! Even quicker than the first.
Only had one problem, he constricted the first one a little too hard, I had to scrub and cook his sandstone slab as it was covered in lovely mice guts!

Now time for the question:
At the moment, money is very tight, and I want to get Margwar something to climb on, preferably a large piece of wood, now to buy something strong enough to support his body is going to cost us a small fortune, and in the village that we live in, about 95% of the wood in the woods and hedgerows is rotten, so that's obviously no good. So, I was wondering would some bamboo sticks, possibly cable tied together (Another issue there, the sharp bits on the cable ties might catch him) be strong enough to hold a 1600kg snake?
If not, does any one have any cheap, and by cheap I mean less than a tenner, fiver if possible, ideas that might work?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Margwar Posted - 20/03/2011 : 19:31:55
I never thought of apple trees, there are some dotted around the village, I might have to go on a hunt for them when I'm walking the dog next.

Does any one know the rules and laws about taking branches?
Lotabob Posted - 20/03/2011 : 19:06:58
Branches of apple trees are my favourite, easy to de-bark and with a stanley knife you can easily chop down any rough bits or twigs, then stick them in the oven for an hour at 100 degrees.
Margwar Posted - 20/03/2011 : 18:04:12
lol, I've been looking around for sticks and things today, I even tried making something from bamboo canes, it ended with me having a 1cm long splinter embedded in my finger, needless to say I'm not putting it in Margwar's vivarium!
n/a Posted - 20/03/2011 : 15:56:16
I suppose RAISIN the question with the owners wouldn't hurt ... this is the time of year to PRUNE grapes so they might not go BANANAS if you asked for a PEAR of branches ...??
hiper2009 Posted - 20/03/2011 : 11:17:21
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Check the vines aren't belonging to someone, if someone chopped down my grape vines I'd have to hang them from a tree by their grapes.

Yes of course not forgetting that ^^ Unless it's wild Grape Vine then just chop it all down you will save your self loads .
Lotabob Posted - 19/03/2011 : 23:42:24
Check the vines aren't belonging to someone, if someone chopped down my grape vines I'd have to hang them from a tree by their grapes.
hiper2009 Posted - 19/03/2011 : 22:51:52
quote:
Originally posted by Margwar

quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

You could even use Grape Vine which is strong.

ooooo there's some Grape Vines on a few walls 10 minutes away from my house

Go chop it down and debark it and bleach it then dry it out in the sun and your all good to use it , by the way this grape vine can get very expensive if you was to buy from a reptile shop...
stevethornley Posted - 19/03/2011 : 22:41:15
Hi Margwar

I've got one of the artificial vines you're after which you can have at a knock-down price! Will post ok. PM me I you're interested.

Best Wishes

Steve
Margwar Posted - 17/03/2011 : 14:23:57
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

ooooo there's some Grape Vines on a few walls 10 minutes away from my house
hiper2009 Posted - 17/03/2011 : 13:18:38
Blackecho Posted - 17/03/2011 : 11:36:13
Bamboo should be fine as long as its not too thin.
Margwar Posted - 17/03/2011 : 11:16:10
Cheers Lilith, he ate a rat no trouble the other day, but I'll keep a mouse or two to one side just in case.
I've looked at that vine stuff, but it's really expensive down here for some reason, I'll have to have a hunt around the interwebs to try and find some that are a bit better price.
reptilemadd Posted - 17/03/2011 : 11:14:45
I think I've read on here that pine dust is toxic to royals, but and this is a subjective "but" if you were to buy a piece of 8 foot cls timber from B&Q and cut it into 3 or 4 pieces, screw a couple together seal the screw heads then varnish it with water based varnish of course, which should insure no pine dust as long as there a few coats, and that would be more than strong enough to support him, hope that helps.
n/a Posted - 17/03/2011 : 10:58:57
Hi, the flexible reptile vine you see in pet shops is very strong, and, if in doubt, double it, twist the lengths together, and you end up with a thick decorative twisty branch. I use screw eyes fixed into the sides of the viv, and thick cord to tie in place.

Congrats about the shed and the feed - you might want to reserve a mouse or two to defrost with his rats to give them a mousy smell if he doesn't switch straight away. Some people even wash the rats and then defrost them with a mouse to give them a mousier smell. Good luck. and hope this helps.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000