The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 2 down 1 to go!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Strawb Posted - 01/04/2011 : 19:26:28
I defrosted 2 XL mice together with a rat for my cali to get the smell of rat onto the mice. I'm hoping this will get Tia used to ratty smells.
Well I fed her the 2 mice and she took them no problem. I might keep doing this for a while to acclimatize her to the new smell.
Another plus. My cali ate the rat. First meal for 2 months.
He's obviously got over the rude season.
Now to see if the corn has.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/04/2011 : 11:33:45
Congrats - a hat trick! I do like feeding days that turn out like that.
Strawb Posted - 02/04/2011 : 10:51:07
Yes the corn has eaten as well.
Tia's viv is glass and there tends to be quite a bit of heat coming from just above the IR bulb. I de-frost all the snakes' food above that. When evening comes they're all lovely and warm and ready for munching.
n/a Posted - 01/04/2011 : 21:43:10
Thanks - I'm not stressing, truly (but it's a challenge lol) - as you know Shahi has actually eaten a rat but I took unfair advantage of him owing to his getting tangled up with a mouse's rear end. Saada eats rats already. Surahi is 5 and apparently will only eat mice, I would like to change that, but if the worst comes to the worst, I have a good cheap source of ex-breeder mice.

I planned to profit by Shahi clearly getting very confused by a wet mangled mouse that he was struggling with, and my tempting him to strike at a fresh warm rat, and thought I'd do my best to de-scent the rats ... though it's true what Lotabob says, they might end up a little soapy lol.

It is a method that's been mentioned a lot though.

Erm, all the air vents on my vivs are up against a wall ... I'll try the confusing mousey aroma and take things from there ...All suggestions welcomed though!

We'll get there, or we won't ...as long as they eat something.
hodgie Posted - 01/04/2011 : 21:14:01
I`ve never heard of washing them but sometimes i do have to scent my Rats with a Multi for my Male Pastel as he is a slowish eater, i wouldn`t say non feeder, because he does eat but normally only once once once a month.
As an idea i would just try offering a nice warm rat, leave it to thaw out near an air vent on the viv for a few hours then warm it with a hair dryer, mine are out like a shot, tongues flickering within seconds of the hair dryer going on. (Its also good to have the viv glass removed at this time)
Sometimes complicating things stress us more than it will the Royals.
Good luck.
n/a Posted - 01/04/2011 : 20:42:43
I've read about it several times on this forum - thought it was a common practice when switching them over, to de-scent the rat. I have offered rats in the past and, no, no joy. Shahi's first rat was a fluke.

Well, Hodgie, you're an experienced guy and I'm not much turned on to the idea of giving dead rats a bubble bath, so I'll try them without - it's true that Shahi took his first rat without a wash, but I HAVE heard of washing them, loads of times, HONEST ...
Lotabob Posted - 01/04/2011 : 20:26:38
Yeah that is bizarre, everyone knows rats like herbal essences!

I'm pretty sure even a well rinsed rat will still smell and taste of rat, just with a fairy after taste.

hodgie Posted - 01/04/2011 : 20:13:05
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I'm going to try washing rats for Shahi and Surahi in washing up liquid to lessen ratty smell, .

Sorry, but that is one of the most bizarre things i`ve seen on here, can i ask who gave you that idea?
Have you tried just offering a Rat without any messing around?
n/a Posted - 01/04/2011 : 20:05:57
I'm going to try washing rats for Shahi and Surahi in washing up liquid to lessen ratty smell, rinsing well, and placing in a plastic bag for a while with a hot wet mouse. Before each feeding poor mousey will be placed, in a perforated box, in the royal's enclosure to further confuse the snake, before hot ratty is introduced. The idea is that the snake will be drooling over mouse smell, but strike at the hottest prey, which will be rat ...

Well, that's my theory, I have yet to prove it. Surahi shed at midnight - and her crusty scar is no longer crusty - it's there but much reduced, it's probable she's had it a good while, it isn't inflamed, keeping an eye on it but doesn't look like scale rot - sigh of relief! Today she was zooming round her viv, yearning at the bulb guard, perhaps wondering if, because it was hot, it ought to be edible? Feeding day Sunday, which is when I'll put my ratty plan into action.

Yeah, all my corns are feeding now, including the two who seemed to be very male ...they're girls btw!

The only one not feeding for me yet is Saada, but, as my Roman Catholic husband pointed out, of course she's still fasting - it's Lent!

Congrats Strawb and Bob, and good luck to us all!
Lotabob Posted - 01/04/2011 : 19:40:49
Good stuff, my corn has just started eating again though he's only been off for three weeks. Let hope its the beginning of the end of the silly season. TIme for everyone to start eating again.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000