The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Fiesty Chancho!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 12:36:22
well my cuddly little worm is being a right little tyrant!

He's normally so soppy and sweet, it's like someone has swapped him!

Last night was feeding night, fed the corns first... he wasn't happy about that! He could smell dinner (i heat up Sanchez's mouse as otherwise he takes all night to eat!) He got a waft of that mouse and as i put the corns rubs back on the shelves underneath him he struck at me! and just hit his nose on the RUB lol

So when it was time to feed him, i took the lid of his RUB got the rat thinking he'll go nuts if i make him wait any longer (i normally change his water first but i knew he'd be up for a nibble on me considering the mood he was in!) He wasn't interested, so i warmed up the rat as normal instead. SNAP! he knocked it out of the tongs... but when it's not being wiggled round for him he's not interested... so gave him a min and used to tongs to get the rat back out and wiggle it SNAP! at me this time... how rude!!!

Eventually got the rat back out... and using the lid as a shield got his water bowl out to change. Warmed up the rat again SNAP! got it this time - hooray lol

But even after he ate it... he normally just goes back in and chills... well warms... in his warm hide, but he just kept out and being really active and barmy!

He's on rat pups.... body wise i think he could take the next size up but he seems to really struggle getting these ones in his big gob somehow! How are royals with taking a double meal? My corns are fine with it, but knowing how fussy royals are, wasn't sure it it works so well? I hope this behaviour was just because of the smell of food and a hungry young snake -he's normally so sweet lol...maybe he's being a rebellious teenager lol

It's daft because i'm sure a bite from a CB10 royal wouldn't hurt very much.... but i haven't been tagged by any of mine yet... so there's that silly scaredness... i bet once i get tagged once it wont bother me one bit!

But what a little git all the same LOL
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
acd1984 Posted - 29/07/2011 : 06:44:35
My little guys on rat fuzzies that are 17% - 20% of his body weight, but he has no problems at all getting it down, he is even in blue and snapped it up all the same. In fact he seemed to struggle more on pups, either that or they weren't as tasty

The downside is more comes out the back end and usually when hes having his carpet walkies
mystra Posted - 28/07/2011 : 21:57:56
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Going by the weights of rats sold by my supplier, Chancho could probably eat a medium weaner at least ...shops often underfeed snakes - it's called a 'maintenance' diet ...shops, grr! I got given a load of wrong advice myself when I first started - you're not the only one.

He'll be fine - just ease him up slowly to the right size. I've had to do this with a couple of mine, and have gone by the rule of feeding three meals of one size before I move up to the next size, if you see what I mean. Or if you feed two small rats at a sitting, that also counts as a larger size rodent. Erm, hope this makes sense lol!

He sounds so happy with you and looks like he's a brilliant feeder and doing well, bless him! (Hope he doesn't think your toes are pinkies ...)

LOL me too!! I saw a video on the 'bitten' thread when a royal randomly just decided to have a munch on the side of the handlers hand but without striking lol just a random quick nibble!

i've got about 4 rat pups left i think so i'll double up on those then move up a size for another few weeks then hopefully i can catch him up without over-doing it by suddenly giving him a giant meal compared to his last one!
n/a Posted - 28/07/2011 : 21:41:10
Going by the weights of rats sold by my supplier, Chancho could probably eat a medium weaner at least ...shops often underfeed snakes - it's called a 'maintenance' diet ...shops, grr! I got given a load of wrong advice myself when I first started - you're not the only one.

He'll be fine - just ease him up slowly to the right size. I've had to do this with a couple of mine, and have gone by the rule of feeding three meals of one size before I move up to the next size, if you see what I mean. Or if you feed two small rats at a sitting, that also counts as a larger size rodent. Erm, hope this makes sense lol!

He sounds so happy with you and looks like he's a brilliant feeder and doing well, bless him! (Hope he doesn't think your toes are pinkies ...)
mystra Posted - 28/07/2011 : 21:11:34
well he's in a much better mood tonight - he's such a sweet heart really LOL

i weighed him, he's 434g, now that's with one meal inside him since his last poop not even a week ago.... so i guess he'd be around 410ish empty? going on that chart a rat pup is 20-30g

so yes, poor boy is being under-fed :( i feel awful especially as i have a royal who LIKES eating!

he doesn't look underweight to be fair, but i still feel very guilty and feel like i've missed out a vital bit of stuff there by not weighing him, i just went on the shop's advice like a wally!

Remember - the royal weigh in is very important ! :D

Also - i think he has a foot fetish! he keeps hanging around me feet and tickling them with his tongue the toe-rag! he also loves laptops - ours get bloody warm i'm guessing that's why!
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 21:36:53
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

Here's a great sizing chart. It's a US chart but I'm fairly certain that the feeder labeling is the same in the UK.
http://www.frozenfeeder.com/sizing.html

As you can see in that chart, a rat pup is 21-30grams. When your royal goes over 250 grams, you can start introducing weaned rats.

My royal pipped on 7/31/2010. He was over 200 grams 3 months later. So yeah, I think rat pups may be too small for your royal even if he is a late 2010.

If you want to double up, you can just wait until the royal is swallowing the bum of the rat (towards the tail) then place the 2nd rat's warm nose right on the first rat's bum so the royal wouldn't have to strike and constrict a second time.

brilliant - sounds like a good plan :D

He's out of his hide and about looking for dinner now - he is normally nowhere to be seen for a few days after feeding night, and he's staring at me with the 'where's dinner? face !
anatess Posted - 26/07/2011 : 21:05:39
Here's a great sizing chart. It's a US chart but I'm fairly certain that the feeder labeling is the same in the UK.
http://www.frozenfeeder.com/sizing.html

As you can see in that chart, a rat pup is 21-30grams. When your royal goes over 250 grams, you can start introducing weaned rats.

My royal pipped on 7/31/2010. He was over 200 grams 3 months later. So yeah, I think rat pups may be too small for your royal even if he is a late 2010.

If you want to double up, you can just wait until the royal is swallowing the bum of the rat (towards the tail) then place the 2nd rat's warm nose right on the first rat's bum so the royal wouldn't have to strike and constrict a second time.
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 20:14:54
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

My Boa stretched double her own girth swallowing a mouse folded in half!

OM NOM NOM! amazing pic, and great vid - royals do make a meal of things lol!
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 20:14:01
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

Well I have two CB11 babies coming tomorrow, of about 90g each, and they are on mouse fluffs.
Which I think is the equal to a rat pup?
I'm not 100% sure but I think it is.

the rat pups i feed Chancho are roughly the same size as the small mice i feed to Sanchez the corn, they're bigger than the fuzzies i give Betty (the other corn)
Oh How Original Posted - 26/07/2011 : 18:23:20
Well I have two CB11 babies coming tomorrow, of about 90g each, and they are on mouse fluffs.
Which I think is the equal to a rat pup?
I'm not 100% sure but I think it is.
Lotabob Posted - 26/07/2011 : 18:12:43
You have nothing to worry about with the stretch, I aim to feed about the same size (in girth) rat as the girth of the snake and about 15% of bodywieght but its got wiggle room either way. They can eat items MUCH bigger than this the only reason we dont push them to that is it increases the chances of a regurge and is powerfeeding and thats naughty.

My Boa stretched double her own girth swallowing a mouse folded in half!

And Duke eating a rat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1gvE2O89S0

Have a watch of the video you'll soon see how they do take their time but thats normal.
reptiledanny Posted - 26/07/2011 : 16:54:55
it 10-15% of body weight, and then look at the fatest oart of the snake. if say at 250 grams, a 25 gram rat is just fatter than the girth of the snake, then its fine, but if say a 35g rat is the same girth, then that is what would be better if you get what i mean xD
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 16:49:25
quote:

Lol, you generally find, shops will feed them smaller prey items than they should be on to keep their feeding costs down.
I try to stick to, prey items being no more than one and a half times the thickness of the snake, but no less than 1 and a quarter times the thickness.

cool, should be just a couple weeks of double rat pups then i'll sort him out with a proper sized meal! no wonder he's trying to eat me! He'll be starving himself and stretching out next to me sizing me up next LOL
Oh How Original Posted - 26/07/2011 : 16:26:06
Lol, you generally find, shops will feed them smaller prey items than they should be on to keep their feeding costs down.
I try to stick to, prey items being no more than one and a half times the thickness of the snake, but no less than 1 and a quarter times the thickness.
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 16:00:22
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

If I had a royal about 250g I'd want to be feeding it a rat about 30-38g

I thought it was about that, around 15% of the animals weight.
Which is why I asked for the weight of him.
I have seen CB11 royals at over 400g, and 2009's at 400g lol.

cool, i'll get him weighed in a couple days when his dinners gone down... hopefully he'll not want to eat the scales lol

i just had him on rat pups as that's what the guy said he was on... maybe it's just the right time for him to move up, but i'll get him on double rats pups next week so that he'll stop wanting to eat his mummy dearest LOL
Oh How Original Posted - 26/07/2011 : 15:14:35
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

I thought it was about that, around 15% of the animals weight.
Which is why I asked for the weight of him.
I have seen CB11 royals at over 400g, and 2009's at 400g lol.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 26/07/2011 : 15:13:27
Oh How Original Posted - 26/07/2011 : 14:45:47
Even a very very late one should be on more than rat pups I think, I might if you have them, then use them up, but it would be good if you could weigh him.
I'd say anything over about 250g shoudl be on bigger than a rat pup.
I may be wrong there, so someone else feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure you should move him up.
I know this isn't a Royal, but look how stretched my Boa went when I moved him up a size in food...
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 14:42:11
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Don't worry about expansion of the royal torso ...

They strrrrreeeeeettttttccccchhh!!

I would definitely try him on a double feed - he can only refuse the second rat - bet he doesn't though. A good guide is to feed a rodent 10/15% of his bodyweight, but if you have some smaller rats, doesn't matter if you use them up first.

Congrats on a feisty feeder - and now for his next trick - the Great Chancho will strike again!!

lol... it's not the torso i worry about it's his big gob... never seen a snake make eating look such hard work! i mean they all make it look difficult! but watching him i feel like i should put it in a blender and give the poor bugger a straw!

Now the Great Chancho had better be on best behaviour now... lets only strike at mummy at dinner time lol
n/a Posted - 26/07/2011 : 14:26:22
Don't worry about expansion of the royal torso ...

They strrrrreeeeeettttttccccchhh!!

I would definitely try him on a double feed - he can only refuse the second rat - bet he doesn't though. A good guide is to feed a rodent 10/15% of his bodyweight, but if you have some smaller rats, doesn't matter if you use them up first.

Congrats on a feisty feeder - and now for his next trick - the Great Chancho will strike again!!

ps, if he does miss the rat and get you, it will tickle. You will probably feel incredibly tender and proud that your little nipper has tagged you, lol.
mystra Posted - 26/07/2011 : 14:04:27
quote:

It's good to have a good feeding response, so many people have none feeding royals and fussy feeders, so feel good that he's a hungry feeder
As for stuggling to get it down, I very much doubt he would struggle.
Out of curiosity, how much does he weigh?

EDIT: Just re-read and noticed he is a CB10...
In my own opinion, he should be on something a lot bigger than rat pups.
My CB10 Bumblebee is on weaner rats.And I am going to move him up from small to medium/large.

I've not actually weighed him, i'll weigh him in a couple of days... he'd pooped the other day so it would be an 'almost empty' weight lol. He's a late CB10 so still quite diddy. I might drop the shop a line to find out his exact hatch date, he did tell me but i was so excited and happy it flew out of my other ear! :s

I'm defo happy he's such a hungry bugger though... that was my biggest worry of owning a royal that i would get a mega fussy one and i'd be grey by the end of its first year with me lol

I've still a few rat pups left - would it be worth trying a double feed next week?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000