The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Sky HD and DVD players???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueDragon Posted - 27/07/2011 : 10:41:25
I thought some techie nerd on here might be my best hope...

OK, so I have a Sky HD box and ever since instaling it I can't get my DVD player to work. It's pluged directly through to the TV 'cause it can't go through the box. How on earth do you get them to work? I've tryed looking it up, but have failed to make any sence out of anything. Do you need something extra, an extra wire, or something? Admitedly thick isn't enough of a word to descibe me, so I'm sure I'm just being stupid : /
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 11/08/2011 : 10:39:54
Yeah, suppose so... but the player was working all along, it just needed to be plugged in right!

I mean, you can't get much simpler that that can you?

I iz dim.

And poor Sky box, getting blamed for something it wasn't doing. Aww, there, there Sky box, I'm sorry : )

Thank you for everyones help, I apreceate it : )
SaltyTurtle Posted - 10/08/2011 : 23:11:12
quote:
Originally posted by BlueDragon

I dids it! And your all going to wet yourselves laughing at me when I tell you how...

So I was round the back of the TV wondering what the hell the problem could be when it sudenly occured to me to check the DVD player instead. Now I did check it, but only for loose conections. I didn't pay any attention to what things were plugged into 'cause I've been assuming it must be the Sky box that's causing the problem. And I assumed that everything was plugged in right to the player 'cause it's worked every other time.
So I'm having a look see and notice that there are in fact two ports that the SCART can plug into. One above the other. Never seemed to notice this before or maybe I've just forgot over time. Anyways, so the first one, the one the SCART was pluged into said "Line One, Decoder". I assume this has something to do with it having to originaly go through the old Sky box. So I have a look to see what this other port says it is... now wait for it, 'cause this is the good part!...

"Line Two, TV"

So, feeling rather silly, I take the bloody SCART out of line one and plug into line two... hay preso. It works. The TV automaticaly tunes its-self into the right channel and everything.

And so it was nothing to do with the Sky HD box.

It was nothing to do with the TV.

It was, in fact, all my fault all along for not thinking to check the conections at the back of the player.

Another little thing I found out about my player. Whitch in my defence used to belong to my mam. While I'm kicking myself at the back of the TV I also notice another interesting little port. An HDMI port. So, you know that little white lie I told about it not being an HD player... well it is! Mam never told me! So it's all her fault ; )
It doesn't have an HD logo, so I never knew. So I'll be getting me an HDMI cable!

You have no idea what an idiot I feel for being such a moron : (

Stop laughing at me!

Oh well, some good came out of it, you've now got an HDMI cable (soon) and a fully functioning DVD player!
BlueDragon Posted - 09/08/2011 : 11:59:00
I dids it! And your all going to wet yourselves laughing at me when I tell you how...

So I was round the back of the TV wondering what the hell the problem could be when it sudenly occured to me to check the DVD player instead. Now I did check it, but only for loose conections. I didn't pay any attention to what things were plugged into 'cause I've been assuming it must be the Sky box that's causing the problem. And I assumed that everything was plugged in right to the player 'cause it's worked every other time.
So I'm having a look see and notice that there are in fact two ports that the SCART can plug into. One above the other. Never seemed to notice this before or maybe I've just forgot over time. Anyways, so the first one, the one the SCART was pluged into said "Line One, Decoder". I assume this has something to do with it having to originaly go through the old Sky box. So I have a look to see what this other port says it is... now wait for it, 'cause this is the good part!...

"Line Two, TV"

So, feeling rather silly, I take the bloody SCART out of line one and plug into line two... hay preso. It works. The TV automaticaly tunes its-self into the right channel and everything.

And so it was nothing to do with the Sky HD box.

It was nothing to do with the TV.

It was, in fact, all my fault all along for not thinking to check the conections at the back of the player.

Another little thing I found out about my player. Whitch in my defence used to belong to my mam. While I'm kicking myself at the back of the TV I also notice another interesting little port. An HDMI port. So, you know that little white lie I told about it not being an HD player... well it is! Mam never told me! So it's all her fault ; )
It doesn't have an HD logo, so I never knew. So I'll be getting me an HDMI cable!

You have no idea what an idiot I feel for being such a moron : (

Stop laughing at me!
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/08/2011 : 02:33:36
Did you have a sky techie set up the sky box, or did you do it?
When we had ours done, because it was connected with the HDMI cable and not the scart he went through the settings on the telly and turned on the hdmi and the scarts off.
My telly is about 3 years old as well, a Toshiba somethingy or another.
Is another option to look at I suppose, it took me ages to figure out what they had done.

Some tellys also have input switching, my old one had scart settings, so that AV1 would search for a signal coming from the s-video, av2 would search for signal coming from composite inputs and so on.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 07/08/2011 : 12:12:12
If it's 3 years old it may or may not have an HDMI out conncetion at the back (the DVD player) have a look, it'll look like this:

If you have one of these, then use an HDMI cable to connect it to the TV, which again, if fairly new should have a few HDMI slots at the back (or side these days).

HDMI is FAR better at passing hi quality sound & vison than SCART which is yesterday's cabling method.

Again, get a half decent HDMI cable, the difference IS actually measurable, as you can see in most Currys shops when they have a display showing difference in picture quality.

If you can post some pictures of the back of your equipment it might help.

Good luck!
BlueDragon Posted - 07/08/2011 : 11:59:45
Hmm, yeah, that's exactly why I like to sort things out myself!

It's a two hundred quid DVD player (it does fancy things I've yet to work out), so I can't imagine the SCART that came with it is dodgy. And if it is, why only now? The TV is a nearly seven hundred quid Samsung, and it didn't come from any 'nice' Taiwanese man! X )
I haven't got a spare SCART, but my mam probably does... she seems to have a spare everything. Might try it just in case. The player is actually about three years old now, so I suppose it's worth a shot. The player itself is definatly working though, I can hear it.

New SCART and new port... I'll do that then.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 11:24:18
In theory they should all work, unless you bought your TV from a nice Taiwanese gentleman with zero feedback on 'The Bay of E's'.

Try swapping SCART sockets, and leads of you have a spare. I've bought some atrocious cheap SCARTS back in the day, which refused to pass signals due to dodgy connections. These things are just trial and error, that's all the 'professionals' do isn't it. You pay them a small fortune to come to your house and 'try a few things' to find out what's wrong. You sit there and think "I could have done that", while they bugger about and run up a nice bill.

I remember watching a 'gas engineer' take a piece off my mate's gas fire, squint at it, then blow through it a few times, the whole time transfixed on Eastenders which was on in the background. Then after a few mins of shaking and blowing this small metal object, he screwed it back on and gave my mate a bill for £65, with the reassuring words "That should do it, any more problems, just call us out again mate"
BlueDragon Posted - 06/08/2011 : 10:05:47
Oh I know it will be, always is, but then I'll look really simple too : /
It is a SCART, so good idea about trying to switch to a different port. Stupidly I've never thought to do that. It's a new TV so I didn't think that I could have a naff one. I have four though, so ones gotta work right?
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 02:26:25
Further to that, if it's possible to take a picture or two and post them, maybe I or someone can make a better guess at it. Don't worry, it'll be something simple, always is!
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 01:51:57
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, it's difficult when you can't see what the set up is.

If it's SCART, just try changing the ports you use, may be you have a duff one?
BlueDragon Posted - 05/08/2011 : 11:52:21
Thank you, but tiz a small problem... You're saying just switch the Sky box with the DVD player but my DVD player doesn't use an HDMI cable. So won't work in an HDMI slot? Unless I can use an HDMI cable with the DVD player, but it's definatly not an HD player so I'm thinking not. Or have I missed something there?

I'm going to have another play around with things 'cause I'm getting tired of feeling so stupid that I can't even get a DVD player to work : /
Anyway, I'll have a look round the back, and see if I can do anything differently, like what you've sugested.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 04/08/2011 : 18:00:09

Ok here's what I'd do:

1) remove the HDMI (I assume it's connected this way) from the Sky box (which works) and swap it for the DVD player.

2) Check on the channel (or HDMI INPUT more accurately) that you normally watch Sky (telly) on. You should be able to watch DVD's no problem.

3) The using the next available HDMI slot on the TV, (where DVD player 'was' plugged in, put in the Sky box HDMI. Then go to the 'Source/Input' selector (often a button with a TV shaped box with an arrow pointing into it) and scroll down through the HDMI inputs until you get Sky TV on.

Assuming these both work, voila, you've got them both working, feel free to swap them over and remember which input is now for the DVD player (the one you just got working with Sky to test).

Now, if the DVD player didn't work in the old Sky HDMI slot, it may be the HDMI cable that's on the fritz, in which case, swap with the (working) Sky Box cable and try again, then buy a replacement. I've had cables that work with some equipment, but not with others.

If that doesn't work, let us know.
markmifsud Posted - 04/08/2011 : 14:30:21
not sure what the problem could be, as it should just work. Can you check what happens if you remove the sky box from the tv ?
BlueDragon Posted - 04/08/2011 : 10:34:42
Nope : /

I recon I'm just too stupid for this kinda thing... although I've set everything else up with no probs and set the DVD player up twice now with no probs.

Tiz a mystery!
em6184 Posted - 04/08/2011 : 00:36:45
Hi Ya, Did you manage to sort out ure dvd problem?
BlueDragon Posted - 29/07/2011 : 09:55:59
Yep, was definalty playing, and I tryed different DVD's as well, in case one had gone on me. The conection is a scart... I think. Well, it's not a HDMI anyway. The HD box obvioulsy has a HDMI cable though.

I had it running on the TV I have now fine when I had the Sky+ box, but the DVD player ran through the box then. Could it be that somehow the HD box is blocking the player even though it's not running through it?
markmifsud Posted - 28/07/2011 : 12:07:16
What is the connection method? scart, hdmi?

Try to PLAY a dvd while checking as the screen may well be blanked out if there is nothing playing
BlueDragon Posted - 28/07/2011 : 11:41:55
Done that. Just was a blank screen : /

I've actually sat there like a fool going through what felt like every bloody channel out there to see if it was tuned into somewhere daft!

On my older TV it worked ne bother, so I just don't understand what's different unless it's the HD box somehow?
Royalbob Posted - 27/07/2011 : 22:35:31
As above. look to see what port your dvd player is plugged into your tv. play a dvd then adjust your t.v using AV or the source button on t.v remote until you see the dvd playing.
good luck
markmifsud Posted - 27/07/2011 : 11:16:08
Depending on how you have your connections, it could be as simple as turning your TV over to the appropriate channel/input. Look for a button on your remote labled AV or AUX and use that to scroll through your inputs

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000