The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Growth spurt at last

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dio Posted - 01/08/2011 : 14:59:47
I know i haven't been on here for a few weeks but life got in the way a bit and been distracted by the possiblity of 3 new additions.

Having not been able to see Dio for 2 weeks i was quite shocked with how heavy he had suddnely got when i picked him up last weekend. After spending ages trying to get him to stay on the scales he weighed in at a quite impressive 403g! looking back at my records i had last weighed him on the 7th and he was only 277g. Thats 130g's in 3 weeks

Since then he's have 1 medium mouse and 1 XL mouse so he's going to be even heavier now. When i checked on him today he was all blue so should be shedding again soon so will have an empty weight hopefully by the weekend.

We're going to try to get him some rats on wednesday as the mice are going to be too small soon.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dio Posted - 04/08/2011 : 15:17:53
He comes out every day for a stretch but will get him a bigger viv when he's fully grown. Hopefully by then i'll have talked the OH into letting me put another snake. Still waiting for him to shed and poop so i can weigh him empty. He was staring to look clear last night when i got him out so hopefully won't be much longer. Poor thing was crawling in mites again even though we keep spraying him. Got a friend getting us some lyclear though so hopefully that will be the end of the little gits.

Couldn't get him any rats yesterday as didn't have any big enough so will have to try at the weekend.
Lotabob Posted - 02/08/2011 : 23:12:05
I agree my adult viv for Duke which he will be moving into when its finished in a few months is 3 foot by 2 foot, better to be bigger than needed and packed out than too small.
sandi Posted - 02/08/2011 : 21:15:19
Good weight, he is doing well!
I would say a 3 ft viv gives more room to stretch out if they want to. Just keep it packed with hides and foliage. Better to give the option for room, in my humble opinion.
Dio Posted - 02/08/2011 : 15:56:17
I'm hoping he holds it in until i'm not there so i don't have to clean it up. The last one wasn't very big but he hadn't really eaten much before. We're definately going to go get him some rats tomorrow so he should start getting even bigger.

Will a 2ft square viv still be big enough for him when he's an adult?
Lotabob Posted - 01/08/2011 : 22:23:09
You wait for what comes out the back of the snake at shedding time lol. Your OH will have a ton of dark matter to clean up.
Dio Posted - 01/08/2011 : 21:35:59
Thank you. I didn't think he was ever going to get very big. He's taken the last 8 feeds without a refusal and he's strike fed each time too. At the rate he's growing at the moment we will need to get him a new viv if he keeps going lol.
n/a Posted - 01/08/2011 : 16:32:07
Congrats - it's great when they start growing at last. One minute you think they're going to stay miniature - next thing you'redoing a double take and saying - 'where did you come from??' So rewarding!

If he won't stay on the scales, naughty boy, stick him in a pillowcase, knot the top and put him in a plastic bowl (you can zero the weight of pillowcase and bowl beforehand or weigh them and subtract weight from end result.)
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 01/08/2011 : 16:02:08
Wow that's pretty impressive! Congratulations

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000