The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 quick question on light guards

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 30/08/2011 : 14:33:02
ok i have now fitted the ceramic bulb and guard into franks viv.
its a small 60w bulb and the guard is 4" wide an about 6" high
has been on for about 1/2 hour and is up to about 26c but the guard seems quite warm, i can hold my hand on there without it being pain.
once the viv is up to the right temp im assuming it will cool down as the bulb wont be going full blast?
it is running through a habistat dimming stat

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 31/08/2011 : 17:10:33
thanks for the advice the guard has cooled down now the viv is up to nearly the right temp. a little more tweaking an will be sorted.
im thinking of getting 2 more dimming stats as the temps in my other 2 viv fluctuate quite a lot with the microclimate mat stats
Lotabob Posted - 30/08/2011 : 20:17:07
A lot of guards will be very hot to the touch, the critical point is it is cool enough to not burn the snake before he realises its hot unlike the bulb which will be running much much hotter and will burn almost immediately. It will be hotter at the bottom surface too whcih is unlikely to have a snake on it to any length of time.
chrisc Posted - 30/08/2011 : 18:18:55
ok thanks. i cracked it off a little and its up to 29c now so will fiddle with it till its up to 32c ish
Kelfezond Posted - 30/08/2011 : 17:14:55
The heat the guard absorbs will not be a problem even if the snake coils around it. It won't get as hot as the light.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000