The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Bite......

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ian Calvert Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:19:43
Anyone been bitten by their Royal on here?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jhk2005 Posted - 03/09/2011 : 17:03:20
only by my vanilla - he's just a moody wotsit, but i love him still the same haha! :)
Evolution Morphs Posted - 03/09/2011 : 13:02:37
I've been tagged once buy my pinstripe

He's only 300g + It was the shock that was worst than the bite

Lorraine Posted - 03/09/2011 : 11:54:39
Not yet...touch wood.
prozacbear Posted - 03/09/2011 : 11:43:18
Touch wood I've not yet been bitten by any reptile, only cats and dogs bite me.
Kelfezond Posted - 03/09/2011 : 11:35:38
Yes I get bit every time I handle anubis lol
BlueDragon Posted - 03/09/2011 : 11:18:03
Yeah, I got bite by Pandora (my corn snake who has now sadly passed) when she was a baby. She was always a very keen feeder and proably thought my finger was a mouse.

Tig bite me once. Two of the tiniest little spots of blood your ever likely to se mind you, and it didn't hurt. Just a bit of a shock! I'd dropped his rat and was trying to retreive it again... my bad! X )
n/a Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:56:50
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Calvert

Actually BAT, she visible startled him, I wasn't surprised as I think the snake was just getting settled with the surroundings.

Ah, right, I just wondered if the response to human body warmth (royals' heat pits just below their nose are their chief heat sensors and used in tracking prey) had kick-started a feeding response. Yes, he probably is just settling in as well. All the best with him.
Ian Calvert Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:50:32
Actually BAT, she visible startled him, I wasn't surprised as I think the snake was just getting settled with the surroundings.
n/a Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:44:33
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Calvert

Thanks everyone. The reason I ask is my daughter got snapped at today as she startled the snake while I was removing him from the Viv

Ah, I see. What happened? Did she put her hand out to him? The warmth of her fingers may have led the snake to think that he was getting fed.
n/a Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:41:39
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

Yes Bats, I had just read your story also lol. At least we do know it was a feeding response and not a attack. Not quite sure how I would have felt had it appeared to have been a personal atttack

Yeah, I think snappy royals are few and far between ...a royal bite's usually the equivalent of when you feed a horse a bit of carrot and not keeping your hand spread out, so you get your fingers nipped ...it's just excitement and good appetite really ...moral of the story, only approach a royal on feeding day with tongs (and rat attached to tongs lol!)
Ian Calvert Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:38:13
Thanks everyone. The reason I ask is my daughter got snapped at today as she startled the snake while I was removing him from the Viv
markmifsud Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:35:09
Yes Bats, I had just read your story also lol. At least we do know it was a feeding response and not a attack. Not quite sure how I would have felt had it appeared to have been a personal atttack
SaltyTurtle Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:31:42
Nope, hissed at tonight for the first time since he's in blue (shedding) for the first time since I've had him, and only noticed when I went to pick him up and he recoiled & hissed (normally comes willingly).

I heard from one shop that the owner got bitten by a Captive Caught Female Adult that had barely been handled and was brought into the shop, but it was the first Royal that had bitten him in 20 plus years of snakery!

I've heard most bites are due to human error. For example people handling prey (mice, rats, chicks) and then not washing their hands, then going to pick snakey up (maybe after unsuccessful feed attempt) and snakey senses heat, smells rat & goes for strike two, onto owners hand. Poor husbandry and lack of consideration seem to be the only reason they'd bite thee.
n/a Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:31:24
LOL - you too, Mark!
n/a Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:27:25
Yes, and it was nothing to be proud of - classic feeding response/careless Lil = excited Shahi and ouch!

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6551
markmifsud Posted - 02/09/2011 : 23:27:02
yep, I have lol, and yes, it hurt. She is quite a big girl, around 2kg at the time, starting to shed, eyes blue. I had just fed her, as normal out of the viv. Put her back in, and had a refusual from another, so like a fool I just offered the rat to her in the viv. She struck like she hadnt been fed for a week, the base of my thumb was in her mouth and she coiled around my arm. After a quick "yelp" well, it was a swear word or two actually lol, I took her and my arm into the kitchen, run her under the cold water and uncoiled her from my arm. Once she was uncoiled, she let go of my thumb, blood everywhere.

After a quick clean up, and a liberal amount of antibacs the bleeding more or less stopped.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000