The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 ePetition of the Herpetology trade

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 07/09/2011 : 06:37:10
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/15804
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
acd1984 Posted - 11/09/2011 : 01:17:45
Signed, why should the masses be punished because of the few irresponsible idiots out there.
chrisc Posted - 07/09/2011 : 16:22:17
shocking how they react cos of some irresponsible reptile owners.
i did see some of python hunters a while back about the burms that are surviving and breeding well over there, the idea of microchiping the burm's an other big snakes could stop them being released but it could lead to a worse fate for the snakes if the idiots dont want/cant get rid of them
n/a Posted - 07/09/2011 : 16:04:00
I can't find anything about the boa hysteria but there is a lot more about the release of pet snakes into the wild (such as the famous swamp-dwelling Burmese pythons) so I may have got it a bit wrong. I do know that the American response was pretty disturbing.

Whatever the cause, I can see why herp breeders/keepers in this country want to protect the hobby from a legal point of view, although there is also a need for campaigning for standards of good practice and responsibility among herp keepers and breeders as well (which is what this forum's all about!)

http://terrariummorbidum.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/snake-laws-can-be-squirmy/

http://www.petproductnews.com/headlines/2009/04/14/snake-breeders-launch-site-to-battle-legislation.aspx

And here is the link re the boa. To my mind the guy just handled the boa all wrong - the snake did what snakes are designed to do and what the guy should have anticipated. To the snake that guy's neck was just another tree branch (although as we know the feeding response may cause a constrict of a warm animal, human or whatever, as I said before.) Boa (whatever went through its mind) was innocent ok? But I understand there was a lot of fuss from the 'dangerous and deadly' anti-snake lobby at the time and a lot of alarm which I thought might have helped to trigger this UK petition.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/10/nebraska-man-killed-pet-snake-police-say/
Kelfezond Posted - 07/09/2011 : 15:57:16
Signed it!
chrisc Posted - 07/09/2011 : 15:51:35
thanks, did have a quick look. found a list of states that restrict exotic pets or made it illegal to keep them, califonia for example not sure if thats new or old news tho
n/a Posted - 07/09/2011 : 15:48:23
I will look for links, but basically, after the case of some idiot letting his his pet boa wrap round his neck (feeling the warmth the snake constricted and, well, you know how strong boas are!) the government started to moot severe restrictions on the owning of snakes (chiefly large snakes) and there was general hysteria.

I used to post on RFUK at that time (silly me) and I pointed out that blaming the snake was about as sensible as blaming an electric flex that someone had left stretched across the landing and tripped over and broken their neck. Or that sort of thing.

I assumed that it was the American fuss and bother that sparked off this epetition. Will go and do a bit of research ...
chrisc Posted - 07/09/2011 : 14:55:08
whats going on in america?
n/a Posted - 07/09/2011 : 14:50:46
Does no harm to sign though, after the furore in America?
chrisc Posted - 07/09/2011 : 13:09:45
never thought of it that way.
had a quick search and does not seem to be any changes planned
markmifsud Posted - 07/09/2011 : 12:49:26
Yes, 100,000 and it gets heard in government. But, do we need this legislation?

If there are no plans to affect the keeping of snakes, why petition to safe guard it? Do we have legislation to safeguard the keeping of fish, birds, cats or dogs?
chrisc Posted - 07/09/2011 : 12:20:47
[quote]Originally posted by chrisc

dont think there is a new proposed legislation.
as the link says it is to get the gov to safeguard the herp trade

This e-petition is to seek government approval for the Complete Protection of, and Prevention of the Abolishment of, the Herpitological Pet Trade in the UK

i saw this on TCS so thought i would post it here.
also the closing date for signing is in 2012
think this is part of the new gov thing were if the get 100,000 people sign a petition then they have to discuss it in parlement
chrisc Posted - 07/09/2011 : 12:18:25
dont think there is a new proposed legislation.
as the link says it is to get the gov to safeguard the herp trade

This e-petition is to seek government approval for the Complete Protection of, and Prevention of the Abolishment of, the Herpitological Pet Trade in the UK

i saw this on TCS so thought i would post it here.
also the closing date for signing is in 2012
markmifsud Posted - 07/09/2011 : 12:10:10
Is there a link to information on the proposed legislation?
n/a Posted - 07/09/2011 : 10:39:33
Signed - thanks for posting.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000