The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Heating mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DannyDrama Posted - 14/09/2011 : 08:59:57
This is probably one of the only places on the web to ask this haha.

How long do I heat a mouse for?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 15/09/2011 : 11:02:38
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:
I once tried to defrost a pinky by placing it in a plastic bag in boiling water ...the snake had ordered it rare and it came out well-done ...not to be recommended lol.
Yeah,don't try defrosting stuff on the same day,By just throwing it in boiling water.

inside still frozen,outside cooked lol.I take all mind out the night before.Then place the tub over a large bowl of hot water to warm them alittle.

But saying that you might not need to,depends on the snake :)

That's how i've always fed mine. not boiling but warm water, takes a mouse about 20min. quick 30sec with hairdyer on head. done. remember the longer they are defrosting the more nasties build up.
boomslang Posted - 14/09/2011 : 20:12:18
quote:
I once tried to defrost a pinky by placing it in a plastic bag in boiling water ...the snake had ordered it rare and it came out well-done ...not to be recommended lol.
Yeah,don't try defrosting stuff on the same day,By just throwing it in boiling water.

inside still frozen,outside cooked lol.I take all mind out the night before.Then place the tub over a large bowl of hot water to warm them alittle.

But saying that you might not need to,depends on the snake :)
DannyDrama Posted - 14/09/2011 : 12:03:39
Haha I never considered exploding rat before, but now it seems quite obvious!

Some good tips there, thanks.
n/a Posted - 14/09/2011 : 11:28:36
Yes - as Don says.

I'm feeding several sizes of snake with several sizes of rodent, ranging from mouse pinky to small rat. Everything except the pinkies gets bagged up the night before and left in the fridge to defrost slowly. The pinks I defrost on the actual day.

On feeding day I leave the defrosted but cold rodent in a warmish place - on a sunny windowsill or the top of my fishtank, for an hour or two till it's just nicely warm. That's job done for the colubrids - with the royals having the heat sensing pits I place their rats on a shallow dish and give the rat's nose a blast with the hairdrier for 30 seconds - that way they go, I hope, straight for the hot ratty nose.

I used to stand the plastic bag containing defrosted rodent in tap-hot water for a couple of minutes but prefer the hairdrier now.

Neither is microwaving as the guts are apt to cook and burst the stomach wall ... Unless you enjoy scrubbing exploded rat out of the microwave, this is not a good idea either lol.
DannyDrama Posted - 14/09/2011 : 10:39:02
Perfect, cheers mate.

Not even got the snake yet, just covering everything lol.
acd1984 Posted - 14/09/2011 : 09:07:44
Do you mean defrost? or heat to feed?

For my small rat weaners, I leave it in the tub and heat it on a heatmat for a couple of minutes, but i know some people here use a hair dryer for like 30 seconds.

if your talking defrost then im not sure, it all depends on size, for a safe bet you could leave it at room temp (covered)for say 10 hours then no matter the size , its defrosted.

sorry couldnt be more help someone will be round soon

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000