The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Non-feeder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DannyDrama Posted - 15/09/2011 : 15:16:23
The guy at my herp store said he'd give me a non feeding CB10 female with a 3foot viv and a few bits and pieces (substrate, branches etc) for £200. This would be my first snake, but I'm pretty sure the guy just dumps a mouse in there for 20 mins and takes it out again.

I'm sure with a couple of the tricks I can get her feeding. If not, my brother has a small gerbil (joke!). I'm going to look at her in a couple of hours.

IF she is healthy apart from the non-feeding, how hard is the learning curve for a non-feeder? Seems to me like you just go through a slightly different proccess when feeding, and no hendling until the snake has fed a couple of times.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boomslang Posted - 24/09/2011 : 23:10:49
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I've heard they don't like a change of colour in their rodents - two of mine were accustomed to white mice, but thankfully they changed to rats of any hue so seems like they were pretty ok with anything that smelled like lunch. Congrats again.

hmm,some of the rats i get are different colours.but mine don't seem to care.
n/a Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:27:31
I've heard they don't like a change of colour in their rodents - two of mine were accustomed to white mice, but thankfully they changed to rats of any hue so seems like they were pretty ok with anything that smelled like lunch. Congrats again.
DannyDrama Posted - 24/09/2011 : 19:14:06
We made sure to handle her as little as we could, so my mom held her while I was sorting the rat. I guess it helped that I heated the head up a bit first, because she struck it right on the nose. Now that she's had a rat from me there will be no more mice! I heard they don't like white rats, but this one was black and clearly tasty.

I'm sure it will make me jump next time, but I think my mom jumped more haha. I'll get some pics in a few days, she's digesting in her hide with her head poking out.

Edit: I fed her in a RUB, we didn't hold her much. Glad I did, because I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted that much rat wee in her viv!
Lotabob Posted - 24/09/2011 : 18:05:14
quote:
Originally posted by DannyDrama

made me jump so bad I dropped the tongs lol.

HAHA, It is quite a shock to the nerves the first one, and probably the next couple after that.
n/a Posted - 24/09/2011 : 17:55:19
Wow, quick work Coco! Good lass - and if she'll eat rats, stick to rats as they grow bigger than mice and it's far less trouble to feed one rat than several mice - I speak from experience having an '06 who I acquired umpteenth hand, mouse feeding and (by some miracle) converted to rats, clever Surahi lol.

Coco sounds lovely - once the 48 hr post feeding period is up, and if madam will permit a quick invasion into her viv (know handling shouln't happen till after 3 feeds) we want pics next!!
DannyDrama Posted - 24/09/2011 : 15:18:26
She's definately settling in. She just ate a big weaner rat for me

The breeder said she is a great feeder and she'll eat both mice and rats, but he didn't feed her cause I was picking her up. DAMN she got it down quick. Struck in under 10 seconds and made me jump so bad I dropped the tongs lol.

I also managed to get my mom to hold her for a second, which is a start. Oh, and she's now called Coco.
n/a Posted - 24/09/2011 : 10:49:09
Lol, sounds like she's settling well, they always move in and have a makeover.

Her waterbowl won't make much difference to humidity as long as it's not in the hot end. I put my lots's bowls in the hot end once they clear from blue, and they all shed fine.

Congrats again on her arrival.
DannyDrama Posted - 24/09/2011 : 08:23:46
Good tip, I wondered about that last night, thanks.

Just checked her viv this morning and her plants are everywhere, so I guess she had a fun night exploring.

I did indeed try baking half her bark and it worked a treat. It's 36% now, but I didn't put her water bowl in last night because it was high.
boomslang Posted - 23/09/2011 : 19:26:13
looking good :) one thing however :P id move your 2 in one temp humidity reader probe down alot more.Near the floor mate.

will be alot hotter at the top of the viv,plus the snake stays mainly on the floor.
DannyDrama Posted - 23/09/2011 : 11:22:56
Lol the tracking is terrible, but the rest of the viv is pretty awesome. The vents are a bit flimsy but that allowed me to get the wires in without creating too many holes in it, since the vents just bend around the wires. The substrate was a little damp when I put it in, so now the humidity is 66%. I'm furiously trying to dehumidify it.

I'll also add 'pound it' to the list of potential fixes, cheers!
n/a Posted - 23/09/2011 : 11:02:13
Hi, the setup is great and congrats in advance on the new royal.

Did you buy the flatpack vivexotic? Yes, I've always thought the door tracking is a weak spot. I've built 7 of the things and I'm still cursing the tracking. However, it is adjustable; you could try taking the doors out and gently pounding it closer to the edge of the front panels with the flat of your hand. When replacing, if the doors are then too loose, just wiggle it a little way back from the edge ... always taking care that the doors don't wobble and fall of course ...fiddly! Hope I'm making sense here but I don't know how else to describe it. I STILL watch for wonky tracking on these things ...All the best.
DannyDrama Posted - 23/09/2011 : 09:57:29
Well here is the (as yet un-named) snakes setup

And Spike knows something is happening, he is not impressed.

On another note, am I the only one that thinks Vivexotic vivs are shocking? The rails are so tight on mine I can't even open the viv all the way. Seriously irritating, and I wish I'd bought the one from the shop now. The guard looks huge in that pic.

But none of this matters, for in a few hours I shall be in posession of a royal python.
boomslang Posted - 22/09/2011 : 00:30:10
quote:

Ive wanted this snake forever, so it'll be done right lol.

One more question, when feeding, how do I actually get the thing out of the viv and into RUB?
Can I just pick her up and put her in, or could she be a bit lively?
Cheers!

yeah more or less,or you can feed her inside the viv.Give her a week to settle in first.
DannyDrama Posted - 21/09/2011 : 23:29:42
Ive wanted this snake forever, so it'll be done right lol.

One more question, when feeding, how do I actually get the thing out of the viv and into RUB?
Can I just pick her up and put her in, or could she be a bit lively?
Cheers!
Oh How Original Posted - 21/09/2011 : 23:06:55
Good to see someone with a bit of responsibility and getting the set up fully prepared before the snake arrives.
DannyDrama Posted - 21/09/2011 : 15:12:38
Well all the stuff came for her today and its all set up. i just have to fit the ceramic heater and guard and get it warmed up. Im picking her up friday, I cant wait!
DannyDrama Posted - 16/09/2011 : 16:43:30
Lol thanks OHO!

I've heard it's addictive, but I've been through that proccess with beardies and geckos too.
Oh How Original Posted - 16/09/2011 : 15:30:36
quote:

Well I've been to see the female pastel I was offered. He said she is in blue, and usually gets grumpy around that time. She showed me that herself by headbutting me until she was sat in my hands. She was fine after that, and seems like a calm and curious snake. Just HAD to put a deposit on her! She has all feeding and shedding records, as well as a clean bill of health from a vet. The week until I pick her up will be the longest EVER!

Welcome to the most addictive hobby of your life.
DannyDrama Posted - 16/09/2011 : 15:28:50
Haha thanks guys!

I have no idea what to call her to be honest, I've been asking myself the same lol. The wait will always be too long!
mystra Posted - 16/09/2011 : 15:17:22
quote:

Well I've been to see the female pastel I was offered. He said she is in blue, and usually gets grumpy around that time. She showed me that herself by headbutting me until she was sat in my hands. She was fine after that, and seems like a calm and curious snake. Just HAD to put a deposit on her! She has all feeding and shedding records, as well as a clean bill of health from a vet. The week until I pick her up will be the longest EVER!

YAY! She sounds lovely, glad you've found the right snakey :)

Hope the wait goes quickly :D

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000