The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 HELP! Calling all Viv Builders

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 16/09/2011 : 21:14:57
OK the facts

18mm MDF
3.5x50mm multipurpose single thread screws
2mm pilot holes

I did a test and the screw split the MDF in half. Now I am trying to think, do I need a bigger pilot hole or different screws. I am only thankful I'm doing a few test pieces at the moment, so far I've learn't when using a hole saw if you dont push on really hard and get through quickly it will set fire to the wood, and MDF is weak.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 18/09/2011 : 23:23:38
New screws and new drill bit, check. Cheers!

Its actually given me a great idea when I was checking through the design, all will be revealed in 2 weeks hopefully.
blackskull Posted - 18/09/2011 : 15:59:51
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

OK the facts

18mm MDF
3.5x50mm multipurpose single thread screws
2mm pilot holes

I did a test and the screw split the MDF in half. Now I am trying to think, do I need a bigger pilot hole or different screws. I am only thankful I'm doing a few test pieces at the moment, so far I've learn't when using a hole saw if you dont push on really hard and get through quickly it will set fire to the wood, and MDF is weak.

i would go with a 3mm pilot hole, sounds a bit obvious but make sure the depth you drill in is at least the length of the screw if not deeper. i would go with 40mm wood screws, 50mm is a bit over kill. you could always put a bit of butter on the tip of the screw to help lubericate it and it will pull in easier

and with a hole saw dont force it, as you use it pull it back every now and then to clear the dust from the cut
Lotabob Posted - 17/09/2011 : 13:05:51
Will give that a go. Cheers K.
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/09/2011 : 00:03:40
I had the same issue at first with my viv builds.
So I used threaded wood nails. I ended up drilling pilot holes that were a fraction smaller than the threaded wood nails.
So for you, it would be a 2.5mm or 3mm drill bit for the 3.5mm threaded wood nails.
Although using wood screws is much better, the pitch, angle and coarseness of the thread is much greater than the average screw, so a 3.5mm screw would hold nice and tight with a 3mm drill bit.

Get a small bit of offcut and give a test, see what you think. I drilled my pilot holes to a depth slightly deeper than the length of the threaded wood nails, this way I could give a quick twist with a countersink in the top of the drill hole to allow the screws to sit a bit more flush.
Lotabob Posted - 16/09/2011 : 22:34:45
I thought they were but they seem to be called multipurpose screws (??) I will go to B&Q and get a bigger drill bit for the pilot holes and also the right screws.
hodgie Posted - 16/09/2011 : 22:00:53
Are you using wooden screws? if not then you need some (long,thin, brass type)
n/a Posted - 16/09/2011 : 21:23:33
Urrgh, sounds like a saw point but better to experiment before the final build ... Blackskull sounds like the guy to advise or someone equally carpentry competent.

Hope you get things sorted - all the best!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000