The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Viv build is a go!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 27/09/2011 : 21:19:43
OK the last of the wood is arriving tomorrow, the living room is cleared of al furniture (and snakes ) and everything is laid out ready to go. Its also the first time I've had an idea of just what space its taking up in my living room, the answer is a fairly large portion but its workable. Anyway this is as it is now.

The 2 vivariums you can almost make out on the 'ground floor' are for Duke and Spot, the weird floating back piece is for Harley on the 'first floor' and then the void above will become Sanke's 'penthouse'.

Its all the seriously large floor/roof pieces that are arriving tomorrow so I may do a wobbly mockup before I start marking out for drill holes, vents, routing out grooves for sunken wiring. This may take some time, measure twice cut once and all that.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 10/10/2011 : 22:21:21
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

Looking the dogs dangleys bob

LOL AND the cat's pyjamas!
Laws Posted - 10/10/2011 : 20:43:12
looks fab mate , great to see it in the beginning stages and then it coming along :) good job :)
Evolution Morphs Posted - 10/10/2011 : 20:23:30
Looking the dogs dangleys bob
Lotabob Posted - 10/10/2011 : 20:11:21
OK its stopped been so thirsty, it took 4 coats of base to get it to a level I was happy with, its now also had a coat of super high gloss too so its coming along, one more coat of gloss to get a locely smooth consistent finish and then I think its going to take 2 coats of yacht varnish to seal that wood up brilliantly, I also have to do the back with the varnish too to ensure moisture doesn't damage it. And then sealant on all joints just to finish the job. I have massively overspent on this section of the build so glass has been delayed until payday arrives, dont fancy assaulting the credit cards so it will have to wait.

boomslang Posted - 07/10/2011 : 22:10:46
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

Hey its worth it mate! your doing a right good job!
I worked with MDF for a lot of years so i should have warned you about its absorbancy rate.....it sucks likes a $10 w****!

Don't it stain real bad to?then breakdown where it absorbed whatever?
Can you buy a sealant for it?and paint the whole MDF with it?
sandi Posted - 07/10/2011 : 20:56:57
Hey its worth it mate! your doing a right good job!
I worked with MDF for a lot of years so i should have warned you about its absorbancy rate.....it sucks likes a $10 w****!
blackskull Posted - 05/10/2011 : 18:10:34
looks like you have done a good job there bob, i couldn't have done better myself
Lotabob Posted - 03/10/2011 : 21:42:56
More like fasty fasty catchy fire. I've spengt all afternoon sandi-ng down filler to fill and smooth over any holes to which screws were put in (think I managed to avoid a BATs rude joke but we'll see). I may put another coat of paint on but MDF is thisty stuff, it keeps drinking the paint and at 2 hours per application its a knackering job. I hope these snakes appreciate all this.
sandi Posted - 03/10/2011 : 21:37:57
Looking very good! Know what you mean about drilling vent holes, i used an 18v cordless but it heated up very quick and the hole cutter started to burn the mdf! ....slowly slowly catchy monkey!!
Lorraine Posted - 03/10/2011 : 15:51:22
Holy S***. Alfie certainly gives it some size perspective, lol. It's looking great.
jonoandapril Posted - 03/10/2011 : 08:52:19
wow, thats bloody marvelous! how much will it have cost by the time its done?
n/a Posted - 02/10/2011 : 18:19:09
Wow, looking good!
Lotabob Posted - 02/10/2011 : 17:42:08
LET THERE BE WHITE

Lotabob Posted - 01/10/2011 : 21:03:17
Thanks guys and girls, its taken 125 screws 125 pilot holes, and 35 pieces of MDF to get this far lol, I was just putting the holes for the vents in but the drill bit is overheating so I think thats me for the night.

I cant wait to get rid of the smell of wood in my room.

I'm using a white base paint to turn the MDF white, then its all getting varnished with yacht varnish. I have about 7 test pieces in the kitchen all painted etc and the one that worked best was using a roller in very thin applications with 24 hours between coats so 7 coats in total, one whole week of painting, fun times or what.

I hope to get the sills in tomorrow after all the other holes are drilled, then its a quick measure up to be sure the glass will fit then down to get it ordered, I'm going to just close my eyes when they give me the bill. Then Duke can move in, all his new equipment is here ready to be installed, then I'll move them in 1 by 1 over about 2 months while I get all the bits I want in each viv.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 01/10/2011 : 20:27:52
Someone's been a busy boy looks very good indeed

Love the pic with the one eye open of your lol

n/a Posted - 01/10/2011 : 20:24:16
A spaniel in the works??

Looks great and cool canine gaffer too!
sandi Posted - 01/10/2011 : 20:15:14
Wowwee! and alfie is looking like the best chippie dog a man could have! unlike my Brochan who would break a brick wall if he sat on it!
What are your plans for the inside? Will you be painting or varnishing?

Cant wait to see the finished piece, i take my hat off to you mate...its a work of art!
Lotabob Posted - 01/10/2011 : 20:07:10
Last night

Tonight

Tomorrow, sills, vents, wire holes, good dust down, then next week its 4 coats of white base and 3 coats of yacht varnish.
Lotabob Posted - 30/09/2011 : 01:12:31
Does anyone have a crane I can borrow to stand this thing up.

I had to call it time, the keen eyed will notice the prop on the top, I snapped the drill bit/the drill bit broke for no good reason, it was my only 3mm bit so its back to B&Q for supplies, and they miscut one piece so that needs sorted too.

(EDIT: to add only just noticed my dog sleeping with one eye open, brilliant)
hodgie Posted - 29/09/2011 : 19:17:36
Looks very good.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000