The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 heating problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 06/10/2011 : 17:08:51
grr why do things break when im skint.
the ceramic bulb in franks viv has blown an i cant get one for a few days. the temp is down to 23.5c
he was fed on the 4th so should hopefully have finished digesting his rat its quite warm in my room with 2 other vivs and the boiler.
i have raised up one end of the viv i little and have put a little heatmat i had spare in the gap. i have no stat so will be checking the temp regularly. is it likley to make his viv to hot by doing this? or am i better off not bothering with the mat
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 09/10/2011 : 13:05:57
Well, as everyone says,the temps are just a guide, but for the sake of a couple of days, I'd personally wait; won't do him any harm.
chrisc Posted - 09/10/2011 : 10:48:21
another question. franks temps with this 40w bulb is now staying at 29.8c and he is due a feed today. is it ok to feed him with this temp as its onlt a couple of degrees lower than normal or would it be better to wait till tues when i get another bulb an get the temps up to 32c?
chrisc Posted - 08/10/2011 : 11:39:40
thanks. was watching him for about 2hrs last night.
i deffinatly like being able to watch him.
the light does look different through a camera like when you check a tv remote is working with a phone camera.
im going to email euro rep to see if it is acctually I.R
n/a Posted - 08/10/2011 : 11:11:44
Hi, yes, a more powerful bulb will be dimmer. I like IR (or red night-time) - I have some vivs in my bedroom and can watch the snakes at night.

I too am confused between IR and 'night time' red bulbs, but if they're marketed by a reputable company as 'night time' bulbs for reps (ie red glass bulbs as opposed to the tinted bulbs you might get for your electric fire etc ...??) As far as I'm aware, snakes don't see red light - and all my lot are doing fine.

But there was quite a debate on this a while back and as I don't want to start up another, I'm keeping shtum now lol!

The lad looks great in your pic.

chrisc Posted - 08/10/2011 : 10:56:44
the bulb ive fitted is not quite powerfull enough only holds 29c with the stat on full but its warm enough for him till i can get a 60 or 100w bulb on tuesday.
just a quick question are these red bulbs always this bright or could it juct be because its running flat out to keep it warm?
hes been up and about in the night and does not seem bothered buy the light. must say i do enjoy being able to watch him moving around at night.
chrisc Posted - 07/10/2011 : 15:00:11
have now fitted a 40w one of these
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-lighting-415/reptile-heat-bulbs-1226/euro-rep-red-night-spot-lamp-31336.html

does not say that its I.R though. will it disturb him if its not I.R?
chrisc Posted - 06/10/2011 : 20:06:23
have txt a few friends that keep snakes but not heard back. hopefully can borrow some cash tomorrow afternoon to get a bulb
Evolution Morphs Posted - 06/10/2011 : 20:00:53
Your right chrisc
40w min load

Is there no one in your area that could leand you one
chrisc Posted - 06/10/2011 : 19:17:20
the other vivs only have heatmats and cant feel much heat coming off the top will move it there anyway to get the little amount of heat. the spare mat is only 11w i think and the 600w dimming stat i have needs 40w for it to work. with the mat under the viv the temp has been sat at 25.5c for about an hour
Kelfezond Posted - 06/10/2011 : 18:58:47
While the dimming thermostat isn't designed for a heatmat all the thermostat does, like any other thermostat, is adjust how much power goes into an object based on the temperature of the probe, I see no way using a dimming thermostat can damage the mat or endanger the snake.

anyone have a reason why i'm wrong?
DannyDrama Posted - 06/10/2011 : 18:44:31
If you can stack it on top of a viv that has working heat, do that. My royal is on top of a BD viv and the ceramic is never on in the day due to heat from the beardies lamp.

Edit: My royal's ceramic is on, but the stat turns it off. I have yet to find a balance between too warm in the day and too cool at night though.
chrisc Posted - 06/10/2011 : 17:21:41
im using a habistat dimming stat. cant use that with a mat can i?
reptilemadd Posted - 06/10/2011 : 17:17:54
You can use your pp stat with the heat mat if you want to since there is no light it will just turn on and off like your ceramic bulb would, hope that helps

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000